some details written on 24th of Ferbr.

A little side note, I wonder what this new way of taking control over hexes and expanding your borders has anything to do with the info about that religions wont be a factor anymore?
I think that there is more than just me that feels like that part of CIV V is a step back, but if they remove culture (culture is really just the ammount of land you control) then I have a small feeling that it could have been a translation error (or something like that) from the source of the info that religion was gone and it is really CULTURE that is gone...?

Speculations and rumors... I love them :D

I wonder how unit construction is going to work with only one unit being allowed in a city at once. It will certainly make both attack and defence of cities different from previous versions. No more stacking defensive units and wearing down the enemy attackers.

I guess defensive units will be able to take attacks from a large number of offensive units before being killed.

Thank the powers that be! I already own Civ4 and Civ3 so let's try some brand new mechanics :goodjob:

I wonder how unit construction is going to work with only one unit being allowed in a city at once. It will certainly make both attack and defence of cities different from previous versions. No more stacking defensive units and wearing down the enemy attackers.

I guess defensive units will be able to take attacks from a large number of offensive units before being killed.

My guess here is that city will get self-defence plus the unit in it:
kind of artillery or not movable infantry - and it will be gained through some "defense"-setting and or technical level.

Also, maybe the produced units must be deployed outside city when created...

My guess here is that city will get self-defence plus the unit in it:
kind of artillery or not movable infantry - and it will be gained through some "defense"-setting and or technical level.

Also, maybe the produced units must be deployed outside city when created...

I guess that also you would be able to deploy city defences in the hexes around the city, having a front line facing your enemies boarders and artillery behind.

Although perhaps this system will shift defence from a per city basis to defending borders and front lines during times of war. This would probably be more realistic than the current stack vs stack battles at the gates of each city in turn.

Man it's going to be so exciting to see how this stuff pans out.

Sounds like workers are dead too, if you just get one "box" at a time. I guess you'll be able to develop each hex alot further then in previous Civs..... I love workers, but I also find the sound of this new system interesting.

Sounds like workers are dead too, if you just get one "box" at a time. I guess you'll be able to develop each hex alot further then in previous Civs..... I love workers, but I also find the sound of this new system interesting.

I think the "one box at a time" thing refers to the growth rate of your influence (which would explain the uneven territory shown in the screenshots).

So, instead of expanding in all directions, you will get a single hex at a time - and the implication is you can choose which hexes you want by investing money in the development of that area. This sounds like it could add strategy to culture wars for border cities, allowing you to invest in territory near enemy cities to flip strategic hexes.

I think the "one box at a time" thing refers to the growth rate of your influence (which would explain the uneven territory shown in the screenshots).

So, instead of expanding in all directions, you will get a single hex at a time - and the implication is you can choose which hexes you want by investing money in the development of that area. This sounds like it could add strategy to culture wars for border cities, allowing you to invest in territory near enemy cities to flip strategic hexes.

Yep, it also sounds like no workers, don't you agree?

Yep, it also sounds like no workers, don't you agree?

Sorry, I don't think I understand what you are saying.

The one unit per tile rule only applies to military units, and even with culture increasing at a rate of one hex at a time instead of multiple tiles at once you will still have large territories under your control for workers to improve. The screenshots only show single cities, but they all appear to have cultural control of a large number of hexes, with the usual improvements that you would expect, roads and pastures etc...

Sorry, I don't think I understand what you are saying.

The one unit per tile rule only applies to military units, and even with culture increasing at a rate of one hex at a time instead of multiple tiles at once you will still have large territories under your control for workers to improve. The screenshots only show single cities, but they all appear to have cultural control of a large number of hexes, with the usual improvements that you would expect, roads and pastures etc...

It seems like we'll have a system where you invest money to develop your hexes, ergo no need for workers. Another indication is this choose one hex at a time system. No point in the worker system then, because the worker will not add anything more to strategical choice but you choosing the same hex to develop one more time. Really unecessary....

It seems like we'll have a system where you invest money to develop your hexes, ergo no need for workers. Another indication is this choose one hex at a time system. No point in the worker system then, because the worker will not add anything more to strategical choice but you choosing the same hex to develop one more time. Really unecessary....

Oh, sorry, I understand what you are saying now.

I didn't think they meant "develop" in that way, but rather develop cultural influence. It's difficult to tell since we're dealing with a translation.

I hope it is not like that since I love the current worker based improvement system.

WTB in depth English interview!

Many thanks for the translations!

• All distance units (catapults, archers, muskets, and everything in between) have the ability to attack something that stands a hexagon from them.
This is the first bit of news I've had some reservations about.

I think it's really neat to have some units like archers and artillery attack from a distance, I hope they're not going overboard and giving every non-melee unit a ranged bombard. For one, it makes sense for archers and artillery to fire over friendly units, but not musketeers, for example. The basic mechanic where units fight by running into each other just works so well.

And I have some experience with this: with Civ 3 I toyed around with a mod where all non-melee units could bombard from a distance. It was . . . not very fun.

But I am perfectly open to being convinced otherwise.

Many thanks for the translations!

This is the first bit of news I've had some reservations about.

I think it's really neat to have some units like archers and artillery attack from a distance, I hope they're not going overboard and giving every non-melee unit a ranged bombard. For one, it makes sense for archers and artillery to fire over friendly units, but not musketeers, for example. The basic mechanic where units fight by running into each other just works so well.

And I have some experience with this: with Civ 3 I toyed around with a mod where all non-melee units could bombard from a distance. It was . . . not very fun.

But I am perfectly open to being convinced otherwise.

Yeah, this is a very good point.

If you think about the fact that in the modern era, there are no melee units, one would hope that everything isn't able to shoot over tiles and you will actually have some "front line" troops.

I'm assuming that gunpowder units will not have this ability unless they are explicitly artillery.

Although I wonder if we will see sniper units as light weight ranged units of the modern era? That would be quite nice.

I agree that it could be wierd in the modern era with every unit working as a ranged unit, it is possible that with infantry you go back to melee range for them and keep it for tanks and then perhaps give SAM ranged attack, or something like that.

According to this:
http://www.unigamesity.com/juicy-new-civilization-v-details-revealed/

- We will no longer be allowed to stack more units on the same tile. This means that there’s a limit of one unit per box, which completely changes the way the game will look like (including war).

- All ranged units (archers, catapults etc) will be allowed to attack units one hexagon away.

Now the statement above ranged attacks one hex away, needs defining because in the screen shots it shows an archer shooting over a adjacent water hex into another unit, the statement " one hex away" does this mean the adjacent hex or over the adjacent hex, one hex away?

I do wonder how teaming up with another Civ to jointly research a new tech will work. What's to stop me agreeing to research a tech with another civ then reducing my science output in favour of gold. I get lots of gold, whilst they research the tech, which I then get access to for free.

I'm sure there'll be something to prevent this, though I can't think what the best way of doing so is.

From reading this, it makes me feel that a WWI trench warfare mod will be awesome with the new combat system.

I do wonder how teaming up with another Civ to jointly research a new tech will work. What's to stop me agreeing to research a tech with another civ then reducing my science output in favour of gold. I get lots of gold, whilst they research the tech, which I then get access to for free.

I'm sure there'll be something to prevent this, though I can't think what the best way of doing so is.

Maybe, just maybe, the current commerce/sci slider/etc will not be there at all in favor of something else. There are other games with different ways of advancing ones nation, maybe some of those ideas will be implemented.

I actually hope the developers don't give away too much of the game ahead of release to build suspense. Main ideas and concepts will be so much more fun to experience first hand rather than reading about it. I'm excited. I'm gonna put away 33 cents a day until september :)

Top Bottom