Sid's Unrestricted Fun :)

Habitus

Emperor
Decided to make this game for some fun and to see what the civfanatics would do with it.

Our leader is

Yes that is no Starting Techs, No Traits, No Uniques. To make it interesting and I was going to reroll maps until I got a map that i thought may provide some choices at the start to see what the lack of traits and starting techs would make people pick. My initial map gave me this start thou and i thought it was good enough that i didn't need to reroll :)

This map is a perfectly normal Pangaea map, with the standard amount of AI. No Huts + Events, but I did pick Unrestricted Leaders.
Remember to atleast add Archery to Monarch+ Barbs if your playing along. If you want to add all techs then Emperor gets Monarch+Hunting, Immortal Emperor+Agriculture, and Deity Immortal+The Wheel.

I shall probably play this on Immortal/Deity to see how I do, have fun all :)

Attachments

• Sid's Unrestricted Fun.zip
    64 KB · Views: 33
Good stuff, Hab. Great way to learn for newer players with less emphasis on distractions like UUs/UBs.

For anyone interested, a group of us just finished up a Succession Game over in that forum using Sid as a leader, which can be found here if you'd like a little read:

Sid's Science Kids

Game is on Immortal with the extra twist of removing all strategic resources from the map. (surprisingly this probably made the game easier, not harder)

Oooh. Neat. I'm going to have to try this one out.

EDIT: This is interesting!

Spoiler :
It's about 1100 A.D. and I just Lib'd MilTrad, which means that the game is basically won and it's simply a matter of marching Cuirs all over humanity. The Jewish AP has been built, and everyone's a member, but Judaism isn't my religion yet, so I might lose Diplo before the reaping proper can begin. Might have to change that and win by easy AP cheese.

Early game was hard, but thanks to that stone I got the Pyramids and the Great Wall. Also, it's pretty hilarious that the other AIs are every single Russian and French leader there is. I'll play it out tonight, wipe out Stalin, and go for mass capitulations/either Conquest or AP cheese.

Game is on Immortal with the extra twist of removing all strategic resources from the map. (surprisingly this probably made the game easier, not harder)

Not surprising at all. Blocking ALL strat resources forces the AI into "getbetterunits" mode until what, renaissance? It needs to have at least 2 attack units (IE non archer/longbow) available before it will start plotting. Axe+spear is acceptable for example. Without metal or horse, however, you KNOW the AI can't declare and can just expo cheese it all to hell and focus all :hammers: into economy.

Later on, the only way to build the late game strategic resource units is corporations. However, that's not really necessary since infantry/arty (or honestly, just draft rifles + arty) will PASTE anything in the game and the AI won't even have the ability to build gunships to flank it or tanks to attack with winning odds, if it even makes it that far. Standard draft rifle spam is unchanged too.

I won the pangaea PYL same start map with sid, good times :). Even with sloppy micro and usage of rifles instead of horse based units I finished ahead of a lot of other players too lol. Draft is really good.

Not surprising at all. Blocking ALL strat resources forces the AI into "getbetterunits" mode until what, renaissance? It needs to have at least 2 attack units (IE non archer/longbow) available before it will start plotting. Axe+spear is acceptable for example. Without metal or horse, however, you KNOW the AI can't declare and can just expo cheese it all to hell and focus all :hammers: into economy.

Later on, the only way to build the late game strategic resource units is corporations. However, that's not really necessary since infantry/arty (or honestly, just draft rifles + arty) will PASTE anything in the game and the AI won't even have the ability to build gunships to flank it or tanks to attack with winning odds, if it even makes it that far. Standard draft rifle spam is unchanged too.

I won the pangaea PYL same start map with sid, good times :). Even with sloppy micro and usage of rifles instead of horse based units I finished ahead of a lot of other players too lol. Draft is really good.

we won on cats+archers first 2 wars, third was LB's+cats I think, then finished trebs+LB's.

I expected finish under 1200 AD, missed by ~5 turns.

I made some post about why I think the game turned out the way it did, but it's basically the same message. The AI doesn't understand the settings, whereas we planned from T0 for cats strategy.

Native Americans, Mayan, and Aztec would make it more interesting if strategic resources were removed. Can't think of any other resource less UU per rifles, Sally's Camels maybe? Unrestricted or random personalities to make things more interesting :)

@Oz-Man
Spoiler :
Thought the leaders would be a nice mix, civs were total random thou :)

Removing all strategic resources is gonna make the game much, much safer. The AI won't plan war until it has two different "offensive" units available, which does not include warriors or archers.

So with no strategic resources, I would think that would mean no wars until gunpowder.

Native Americans, Mayan, and Aztec would make it more interesting if strategic resources were removed. Can't think of any other resource less UU per rifles, Sally's Camels maybe? Unrestricted or random personalities to make things more interesting

Mali and Inca (especially inca!) would be on that list as well. The bowman would be comically useless as per usual.

Late game naval battles would be truly comical. Either one guy gets standard ethanol and dominates, or the entire world's warfare at sea is decided by...galleons (and HERE is a format where the dutch EI goes absolutely crazy). No iron = no frigates/SOTL. No copper = no privateer. No oil or uranium = no modern ships of any variety...just masses and masses of galleons.

Late game standard ethanol = "I win" button with the access to full metal navy, tanks, and air units with really no answer to those things (humans can beat AI with infantry/arty easily because of how the AI fights).

Anyway I'll play this eventually. I'll probably SIP as it's hard to give up a 2h riverside + coastal capitol with plenty of food. Still debating if I want to try a GLH type opener or start with agriculture. A 3 food tile makes growing while researching fishing less painful, but the corn IS a 6 yield tile. Then again, almost all of the commerce in this picture is at sea and corn + cow can be tile shared early game. With no starting techs, a couple work boats might speed up the teching a bit.

Removing all strategic resources is gonna make the game much, much safer. The AI won't plan war until it has two different "offensive" units available, which does not include warriors or archers.

So with no strategic resources, I would think that would mean no wars until gunpowder.

almost no wars against you, that's true.
I think nappy dowed us anyway or some tech buy was going on, not sure now.

Doesn't mean the same should be applied to you though :)

Btw i didn't realize you can pop iron, Freddy did... Cam warned us before hand though.

So the war against Freddy was trebs+LB's against Pikes+maces. Not sure who led the attack, I think it was L, but I think it went similar the early game wars.

Yup mines can pop any resource you mine, the civs I listed above were for the AI so it could produce units to let it declare so Mali and Inca's don't help there unless the count towards the 2 units needed.

As for this game I'll hopefully get started tomorrow :)

I hate garbage maps like this one.

Spoiler :

Catherine = 26% world land.

# of cities belonging to her that aren't persian? 0.

Then she permanently allies (via vassal mechanic) both de gaulle and stalin at the same time. How does she do this? By taking de gaulle as a vassal on the same turn he capped stalin, thus forcing me into peace with stalin and getting both as vassals.

Needless to say, this ******ed horsecrap AI game throwing slowed me down. Fortunately, I've already managed to take most of louis cities and cap him, along with most of stalin's.

I'm going to win, because it's immortal. But, any time one side gets 25% land on a 7 player map without having to capture a single city, there's some seriously foul @#$% @#$% going on. Insult to injury that it's probably the best quality land surrounding too.

Top Bottom