R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator

R.E.D. WWII Edition

R.E.D. WWII Edition is a total conversion wargame using danrell's units and based on the European Landmass map by NiRv4n4 (Europe 1939 scenario and North America / Europe 1936 scenario) and Genghis Kai's G.E.M. map conversion (Earth 1942 scenario) .
Research, Culture, and Happiness are deactivated.

Features:
  • Hotseat: local multiplayer !
  • Frontline: units can capture tiles. (or liberate your allied/friends tiles)
  • Supply lines: units that are not connected to a city won't get reinforcements and get a malus in combat.
  • Reinforcements: personnel and materiel are needed to "heal" your units.
  • Retreat: units will retreat under heavy casualties or from captured cities.
  • National units: each great power have it's own set of units models
  • New unit types: over 100 types of units (see the spreadsheet here for statistics on already added and planned units)
  • Use projects to upgrade existing units or research new ones
  • Auto-naming for units
  • Accurate european map with 5 playable civilizations and 31 CS representing the other European nation, with complete text entry.
  • Custom diplomacy to ensure that allies and axis nations enter war in the historical side.
  • AI override for fighters (interception / air sweep).
  • AI override to force destroyers/cruisers to hunt submarines when they attack.
  • AI override to force healing of units when needed.

If you want to help/contribute to the mod, there is a development thread here

Scenario list :

• Stalingrad (map size: small) : Play as Germany or U.S.S.R. for the control of Stalingrad
  • Europe 1939-1945 (map size : large) : Play as Germany, Greece, Italy, France, U.K. or U.S.S.R. on the European and North African theatre.
  • Europe/USA 1936 (map size: huge) by T_KCommanderbly : Prepare WWII as Germany, Italy, France, U.K., U.S.A or U.S.S.R. (fast computer recommended, with a minimum of 4GB RAM)
  • Earth 1942 (map size: giant) by T_KCommanderbly : Take control of China, Germany, Italy, Japan, France, U.K., U.S.A or U.S.S.R. on a giant earth map (minimum recommended configuration for this map: 3Ghz quadcore CPU and more than 4GB memory on 64 bits OS)

Credits

see the full credits list.

Screens

- Diploscreen of U.S.S.R.
Spoiler :

- Loading screen of England
Spoiler :

Attachments

• REDww2betav5.jpg
    REDww2betav5.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 7,826
  • REDww2betav5b.jpg
    REDww2betav5b.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 5,648
  • REDww2betav5c.jpg
    REDww2betav5c.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 6,774
  • REDww2betav5d.jpg
    REDww2betav5d.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 6,741
Concepts

1/ Reinforcements

To heal 1 hit point, any unit need "reinforcements", a combination of "personnel" and "materiel". Some unit will use more personnel (Infantry), some more materiel (Tanks), some a bit of both (Light Tanks)

Personnel are generated from your total empire :c5food: food production, from specific buildings in cities (see tooltips in construction list), from "We Need You" process in cities, and you receive a portion of what your friendly and allied city-states are producing for themselves.

Materiel are generated from your total empire :hammers: production, from specific buildings in cities (see tooltips in construction list), from "Buy War Bond" process in cities, and you also receive a portion of what your friendly and allied city-states are producing for themselves.

"We Need You" is proportional to the city :c5food: food production, "Buy War Bond" is proportional to the city :c5gold: and :hammers: production. Those two process are important, and quite useful with a bit of micromanagement.

On some maps there are "convoy" units that move automatically on maritime routes under specific conditions and bring you personnel, materiel, gold or new units.

2/ Retreat

When it take enough damage (defending in melee combat) to make it think that 3-4 attacks of this level will kill it, an unit will try to retreat from it's position.

Examples : Infantry at full health (75hp) can take 10 damage from a tank and won't retreat, but at half health (37hp) it will. Introducing morale is planned, but still not done.

Unit will retreat to one of the 3 plots opposing the attack direction, if none are free, the unit will get half more damage (5 in above example), but will always keep at least 1hp.

Retreating from city is more specific, a unit is not killed in a captured city, it will try to escape before it happens, and will loss hp in the process. If there's a free valid plot just around the city, it will go there, else it will be transferred to a nearby city, with a bigger hp penalty.

All routed units will lost 2 moves for the next turn.

3/ Frontline

Units capture enemy territory when moving on his tiles. The territory map is memorized at game start, and you can liberate old territory from friend/allied civs.

Some units don't capture tiles, like special force and artillery.

4/ Buildings

Some buildings require another to be available (ex: Land Factory require a Factory), and some will block the construction of other (ex: a city with a Land Factory can't construct any Air Factory). Units will require specific buildings. Use the mouse over help text in the production screen to know which buildings or units will be made available by the one you're about to build.

5/ Projects

Projects can be produced in cities with special buildings. New models (example: T-34) projects require a Military Academy, which require Barracks to be constructed. Models evolution (ex: T-34 to T-34/76) require either a Military Academy OR the building needed to construct the unit (a Land Factory in that example)

Projects are unlocked around specific dates, or after units from a specific type have gained enough experience from combat.

There is another kind of project called "Military Operation". Those are in beta testing and only two of them are available ATM, for Germany on the Europe 1939 map. Those projects allow fast deploiement of units in a theatre of operation (example : "Operation Weserübung" will deploy 3 paratroops division (the AI get more) in Norway for Germany. A Military Base is needed to work on such projects.

My Extract freezes on 71 of 87 files for the R.E.D WWII Edition?

just tested both files, downloaded and extracted without errors, what program do you use ?

and the ingame browser failed to install them too ?

Mine installed fine,

anyways after playing this here is what I thought...

Since I personally don't think there is enough units I gave the Germans, French, Soviet Union and UK a bunch more units then tested it, more realistic anyways. I played as the United Kingdom on Diety.

So basically I have never seen an AI play militaristically so well ever in civilization V. So war starts and Germany wipes out Poland in about 3 months, while France and I were occupied, we held them but we couldn't push into Germany. So after Poland was finished they brought there troops to the west, wiped out Belgium and the Netherlands to say the least and defeated many of my troops. Meanwhile they were able to capture strasbourg and have wiped out Denmark too. France is brilliant too, they have created tanks like crazy and have held the massive German offensive for now. Germany landed troops in Britain, I was able to defeat them but had to pull my troops from France. Thats where I left off. I would also like to add that German U-boats have been attacking my reinforcements to France which is always a plus for realism.

Things I would change:

- I would add a lot more units to the scenario, it makes things more interesting and the AI seems to be more aggressive and potent at least with my experiance.

- I think it would be nice if regular infantry wasn't as powerful as the unique infantry maybe make their strength about 30 or something.

- IMO city's are too powerful, realistically it shouldn't take 5+ turns to take a city however when units are stationed in that city it should be powerful especially with fortifications.

- I think infantry should be cheaper to produce, and compared to tanks as it's set now you might as well spend the extra turns getting the tank instead of the infantry.

- The Artillery should be more powerful, and are you going to combine it with the infantry eventually?

-I think dive bombers should get a promotion verse ground units

Otherwise it looks really nice, really good job this is deffinently the best mod I have played definently recommend it.

Failure is in game when installing, CIV5 freezes.
Hey, i've got the same problem with the extraction, game freezes at 71/87 files
Strange... there are only 72 files is that part...

Could you try using 7zip ?

Copy the R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 5).civ5mod file to your mod folder, right click on it, use the context menu of 7zip and select extract to "R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 5)\"

Mine installed fine,

anyways after playing this here is what I thought...

thanks for the report, it's always usefull :D

Things I would change:

- I would add a lot more units to the scenario, it makes things more interesting and the AI seems to be more aggressive and potent at least with my experiance.
I don't want to have too many unit at the same time on the map (performance issues), but I do plan to add some special reinforcements to the AI and the player, maybe on triggered events or via project.

For example, give Italy a "Africa conquest" project that when completed will give some units to Italy in Libya near Tobruck to attack Egypt, in the same time, give a "Reinforce Egypt" project to England if Italy start working on the "Africa conquest" project, and finally add a "Afrikakorps" project to Germany if Libya lose some territory to England...

- I think it would be nice if regular infantry wasn't as powerful as the unique infantry maybe make their strength about 30 or something.
I plan to give unique ability to the special infantry units, but it should be less powerful than the regular one, being smaller units. But I do agree it need balancing.

- IMO city's are too powerful, realistically it shouldn't take 5+ turns to take a city however when units are stationed in that city it should be powerful especially with fortifications.
that need balancing, yes.

Remember I've only added early units, heavy bombers when available will be very strong against cities, and there will be assault guns...

They're becoming strong too early maybe, I may have to try different flavor value, so the AI focus more on units than defending buildings (or maybe add more pre-request to those buildings)

I may try to give them a lot more defense when a unit is stationed inside if possible, I think the AI is already placing units in menaced cities, so this modification won't penalize it too much as some other may...

- I think infantry should be cheaper to produce, and compared to tanks as it's set now you might as well spend the extra turns getting the tank instead of the infantry.
Yep, I've already lowered it cost, maybe I will do it some more.

But the cost in reinforcement is very different, infantry use mostly Personnel where Tanks use mostly Materiel.

Maybe I should tweak value so that there are even more personnel produced than in current version to make infantry cheap to reinforce.

- The Artillery should be more powerful, and are you going to combine it with the infantry eventually?
I'll like to give artillery a support fire function, give them an ability against troops morale (when implemented), and maybe a bigger boost against cities. But I'm not sure about buffing their combat stats.

And I may combine it with anti-air.
-I think dive bombers should get a promotion verse ground units
"Attack Aircrafts" should have one already (click picture for full size):

Some don't get it ? If so, I'll have to see why...

Otherwise it looks really nice, really good job this is deffinently the best mod I have played definently recommend it.
Thank you :D

Regarding the Dive Bombers I think they are getting the promotion, I just wasn't sure it just felt that they were only doing -2 damage to infantry units, which wasn't that effective. So maybe increase it, it would deffinently help the German Army if they were more powerful.

And I understand with less units, if you make cities less powerful then the need for more units is decreased.

The other thing that I forgot to mention is that I wasn't able to save my game (maybe its because of too many units...), but I think auto-save is working.

And I would love to help out

Regarding the Dive Bombers I think they are getting the promotion, I just wasn't sure it just felt that they were only doing -2 damage to infantry units, which wasn't that effective. So maybe increase it, it would deffinently help the German Army if they were more powerful.
Yes, I'll raise the promotion value against land units.

And I understand with less units, if you make cities less powerful then the need for more units is decreased.
Units higher HP should compensate, you won't kill a unit against a city easily (unless attacking from sea or across rivers, but that's another problem - that's a big one for the AI btw)

I don't want cities to fall too quickly at first, and when conquered most of their defensive buildings will be destroyed, so it could switch side numerous time during a battle around it.

The other thing that I forgot to mention is that I wasn't able to save my game (maybe its because of too many units...), but I think auto-save is working.
To allow saving of the data tables used by the mod, it has to perform an action before allowing the player to save a game.

This is done automatically when pressing F11 for auto-save, but when clicking on the save button from the game menu, the save menu is not called (I wouldn't be able to perform the data tables save from this menu), and instead an auto-save with custom name is done. It can take times to save the tables, and you should get a notification with the save name after quitting the menu.

On the extract issue, seems the Windows 7 zip utility is corupting the download smaller download. However, I can not figure how to get 7-zip to perform the download. Any help would be . . .

Still no joy, maybe you could load just the smaller mod on the hub?

I'm good, thanks guys.

On the extract issue, seems the Windows 7 zip utility is corupting the download smaller download. However, I can not figure how to get 7-zip to perform the download. Any help would be . . .

I use winRAR and it worked, however I have no idea if it actually preformed or effected the download... but you could download it and give it a try

I will do that for the next version that I will post tomorrow.

For users with the extract problem, I've joined a zipped version to this post, just extract it in the mod folder...

(edit: link outdated, removed, see first post for installation instructions and use 7zip to extract the modfiles)

Nice MOD! No, no. Amazing! What to say? Thank you for your efforts!

I have two questions:

1. Is the terrain changeing in winter?

2. Why is it sometimes not possible to conquer a city? I mean i´ve bombed Warsaw to the ground and still i cannot capture it

3. Will the US enter the war after awhile. Well i don´t think so, because they are not on the map;) But is it possible to do some script which allows this later on?

Thank you!:)

Top Bottom