Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

Yeah, I'm disappointed by that too. Although we can always hope there will be a new swampy coast tile (not the marshes). But I doubt that'll be the case.

A Delta maybe? Like the part of the nile that flows to the Mediterranean.

Not sure as to what its attributes would be

Any more information on reworked diplomacy? I'm hoping for revamped UN system that permits resolutions a la Civ4.

Amazing but....I wont make same mistake twice. This time I'll ask before I buy: Is there going to be multiplayer animations? if not...thx but no thx.

I loved All civs, but playing this without animations with 2-3 friends was realy gamebreaking issue. we stopped after few games. YES, we turned them off in Civ IV too. But playing CIV5 without it is whole another story and kills all the fun, at least for us

Amazing but....I wont make same mistake twice. This time I'll ask before I buy: Is there going to be multiplayer animations? if not...thx but no thx.

I loved All civs, but playing this without animations with 2-3 friends was realy gamebreaking issue. we stopped after few games. YES, we turned them off in Civ IV too. But playing CIV5 without it is whole another story and kills all the fun, at least for us

If you were not active, then you might've omitted the annoucement that animations are coming in as a game option (like Quick Combat is atm)

However, I don't know if it's going to be in a patch or in the EP.

Awesome news, but two questions:

Did they increase the 22 Civ limit?
Will the game use more that one processor now?

Awesome news, but two questions:

Did they increase the 22 Civ limit?
Will the game use more that one processor now?

I doubt they are ever gonna do that, the largest map size set automatically for 12 nations, so I doubt they would increate that limit.

I doubt they are ever gonna do that, the largest map size set automatically for 12 nations, so I doubt they would increate that limit.

Yeah, I wasn't holding my breath... but if they pulled their heads out and fixed multi processor support, then they could increase limits by default.

I guess, I don't it doesn't concern me since i believe I have 1 processor :/

I really need to think before I post, now I need something actually worthwhile to post xD

I wonder how this will apply to people who don't purchase the EP. like in Sims 3, with each expansion pack, some features are given via patches that appear in the EP, like the muscle slider with NL. Will this be the same? there's A lot of stuff that people would think would be added,

I also am wondering how Steam will support this, since this isn't exactly a DLC per say, it's a whole another game.

This is how I see it.
First plus - Diplomatic Victory is getting re-worked so it's no longer just buying otu CS for the vote
Second plus - 9 civilizations, in the world where DLC are dominant, everybody expected 1-3 civs, not 9 civs and leaders.
Third plus - While not a big one, a lot of people missed Religion, including me, and this new system is looking VERY promising. I'm the one happy for it, I'm just hoping it's not gonna be a bad system, but a fun system.

The way spys and religion were implemented in IV, I'm glad that system didn't carry over into V. But from what I've read, this is a much different way of handling them. So for now, I'm exicited to see them make the change. Like all changes though, I guess we'll find out once we start playing them.

So this is why I couldn't log in then! Nice.

I'm pretty exited to see how they rework religion etc.

I think I'll wait for a few weeks before I buy this when its released (once bitten twice shy...).

I hope they increase the civ limit.
I want more then 22 civs in my scenarion on the Earth map.

For the sake of argument, let's make the wild assumption that software development takes time and money. In this crazy hypothetical, if I were given these choices:

1. Pay $50 for a game in 2010, with full knowledge that elements from prior versions are not included but will be added back in some updated/remodeled form 2 years later, for an additional $30. Also understood at time of purchase: patches will be required to correct balance issues, glitches, bugs, etc., as issues are made apparent through mass use, but the game is playable and enjoyable.

2. Wait until 2012 and pay $80 for a "complete" game. Patches will be required starting from 2012 rather than 2010, because no mass use has taken place.

I take option 1 and never regret it. Even if option 2 was $50 instead of $80, I take option 1 and never regret it. The 400 hours I've logged on Civ 5, and the enjoyment taken from those 400 hours, are well worth the $50 I paid in 2010. The 400 hours I will log with the expansion pack will be well worth the $30 I will pay in late spring.

I just wish they'd let you name the religion. The fact you can choose multiple gods for religions like Judaism and Islam seems rather ironic......

Greg already confirmed you can rename the religions if you want, just like you can rename cities.

Okay since no one else is gonna say it.

No one has a problem with cutting out features and then selling them as an expansion really?? Religion and espionage 2 features that were in the last version of Civ prior to Civ V.. and they cut them out redo them and sell them as an expansion again??? wtf maybe next time they can cut out multiplayer and sell that as an expansion again.

Civ 5 reworked a lot about the series though; the fundamentals were shaken around and adding everything that was in Civ 4 + Expansions could have made the game worse, unless added with the proper care. Whether Civ 5's base changes were for the better and whether the game itself was\is a good game is debatable, but more features and concepts isn't always better.

Edit: Not sure if faith was in an earlier game, but it sounds like a good idea. It can buy beliefs (similar to SPs it sounds, but with a limit of 1, then 2, and later 5 depending on era) and also can be used to pop buildings that can't otherwise be built. Hopefully it and the rest of the game will be well balanced before mods.

So, like others in this topic, I have to wonder... How are religion and ideological choices going to affect diplomacy as it is right now? Flawed as its execution may be, the idea behind the current diplomacy, if I remember correctly, is that the AIs are supposed to stand for real players, who are actually trying to win the game. Players who shouldn't be swayed by something as arbitrary as which religion you have (so that you won't have a case where Isabella of Civ IV is the dominating superpower who could wipe you out really easily, but doesn't because she's really happy that you share the same religion).

Now, I didn't mind that so much in Civ IV because that's the way the AI were for a lot of things; you could share the same civics and religions, give them stuff to make them happy, and they were programmed to not declare war on you if they were pleased or friendly (depending on the character). But the AI design of Civ V is fundamentally different; the AI isn't meant to be swayed by things like that (isn't that why they got rid of Civ IV's religion system? Because it didn't mesh with the new game well? I could be wrong...). I can't really imagine this system being halfway between the two AI designs, since they seem so different.

I do like to imagine other ways in which religion and ideology can affect diplomacy. More trading options perhaps? Maybe you can only make a declaration of friendship with leaders of the same religion (or research agreements are more effective, etc.)? I have a hard time coming up with ideas of how religion could influence diplomacy under the current system.

That being said, other than questions about diplomacy, I'm really interested in the way the religion system system is designed. It sounds really cool, and quite a bit more interesting than the way Civ IV implemented it. (Here's hoping they balance it properly...)

One thing I really want: Make declarations of friendship worthwhile, either by removing the AI's "friendly requests" of 30 gpt or by allowing us to make such a request as well (and keep the AI's request reasonable, I was once asked to give all of my 1800 gold). I like the idea behind the declarations of friendship acting as temporary guarantees of no war and of favorable trade agreements for both sides, but right now the AI's demands can be more costly than a war against it...

So, like others in this topic, I have to wonder... How are religion and ideological choices going to affect diplomacy as it is right now? Flawed as its execution may be, the idea behind the current diplomacy, if I remember correctly, is that the AIs are supposed to stand for real players, who are actually trying to win the game. Players who shouldn't be swayed by something as arbitrary as which religion you have (so that you won't have a case where Isabella of Civ IV is the dominating superpower who could wipe you out really easily, but doesn't because she's really happy that you share the same religion).

Now, I didn't mind that so much in Civ IV because that's the way the AI were for a lot of things; you could share the same civics and religions, give them stuff to make them happy, and they were programmed to not declare war on you if they were pleased or friendly (depending on the character). But the AI design of Civ V is fundamentally different; the AI isn't meant to be swayed by things like that (isn't that why they got rid of Civ IV's religion system? Because it didn't mesh with the new game well? I could be wrong...). I can't really imagine this system being halfway between the two AI designs, since they seem so different.

I do like to imagine other ways in which religion and ideology can affect diplomacy. More trading options perhaps? Maybe you can only make a declaration of friendship with leaders of the same religion (or research agreements are more effective, etc.)? I have a hard time coming up with ideas of how religion could influence diplomacy under the current system.

That being said, other than questions about diplomacy, I'm really interested in the way the religion system system is designed. It sounds really cool, and quite a bit more interesting than the way Civ IV implemented it. (Here's hoping they balance it properly...)

One thing I really want: Make declarations of friendship worthwhile, either by removing the AI's "friendly requests" of 30 gpt or by allowing us to make such a request as well (and keep the AI's request reasonable, I was once asked to give all of my 1800 gold). I like the idea behind the declarations of friendship acting as temporary guarantees of no war and of favorable trade agreements for both sides, but right now the AI's demands can be more costly than a war against it...

Tell me about it, just few games ago, Oda demanded some gold and I declined, whilst STILL in DoF he Denounced me, and soon after he declared war with along with two of his ... bi.... 'friends' (Bismarck and Harun) that was one helluva of war...

BACK to the topic, I do think Demands should be tweaked, maybe even removed, maybe DoF could ask for "favors" like CS do, such as find them 'X' or locate nation 'y'.

Top Bottom