This was absulote...

Omega124

Challenging Fate
I was playing the Romans on the Scenario Beta Centauri on Deity, and the absolute stupidest thing in a civ game happened. I never finished that game, either, so I never even found out what the 5Th civ was, so don't ask.

Civs:
Rome (Me)
England
France
Mongolia
Unknown 5th one

Every civ I knew but me was running Democracy (I was running a Republic, I didn't want to go to Anarchy, as every turn counts in Deity). After I set up my 2Nd city and it was churning out Infantry to defend it, England turned into a Communist state and declared war on me for "Trying to do a Tech victory", although B.C. prevents that victory. France shortly did the same, for the same reason, but Mongolia didn't switch, even though they were the closes to me.

Like I said, Tech victories are not allowed in Beta Centauri, so I was extremely P.O.ed. What's even worse is that if a country declares war on you for attempting a victory, You can't do Jack to make peace.

So a WW started because of my "Foolish" attempts of doing a disabled victory condition. (I Quit before any major battles started, but if I remember correctly, I was marching Tanks to England)

Did this ever happen to anyone, to?

Moderator Action: Thread title changed. Please keep it clean.

This has happened to me on Beta Centauri. I forget which civ I was, but the Germans declared war on me after I built my 3rd city, because I was foolish enough to try and win a tech victory. So it's not just you lol.

...sounds like some newer players :D

You can still win with ease against the ai, even on deity!
-Just make sure you don't get english battleship fleets next to you, or bomb them down.

But why quit when getting attacked and not being able to get peace...
-Get into a democracy yourself, set all to gold, make a few nice gold-cities and a few production cities.
Keep expanding using maybe 3 settler pumps (2 forests and 2 grassland), and get the islands fast.

Don't forget to defend and press the enemy as well.

The ai is so dumb that you should be able to win doing all this, even when facing america, aztec, ...

Just try taking on those evil ai dummies :p

...sounds like some newer players :D

I'm am in no way a newb!

I'm just P.O.ed that they were lazy enough to not edit out declaring war for having all techs. I quit because I wanted a fun game with actual dimplomaticy instead of a World War on another planet (Which the Aliens look too suspciouslly like humans... :lol:).

And if the definition of a newb is a person who doesn't participate in WWs he doesn't want to, then please, tell me when the definition changed!

Also, I'm glad that someone else expreneced that, to. Hopefully the next patch will fix it.

I'm am in no way a newb!

I'm just P.O.ed that they were lazy enough to not edit out declaring war for having all techs. I quit because I wanted a fun game with actual dimplomaticy instead of a World War on another planet (Which the Aliens look too suspciouslly like humans... :lol:).

And if the definition of a newb is a person who doesn't participate in WWs he doesn't want to, then please, tell me when the definition changed!

Also, I'm glad that someone else expreneced that, to. Hopefully the next patch will fix it.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this situation says anything about our skill playing the game, but oh well.

For me, my first win on Deity was with the Beta Centauri scenario, and when I play that scenario I always win.

I'm am in no way a newb!
I'm not inferring that you are, but statements like this seem incriminating
:lol:

Well, I guess they were a little lazy in some of the scenarios. But this one is one of the easier ones. This scenario is usually full of fighting though, I wouldn't suggest it if you want a more peaceful diplomacy game.

And I too was disappointed that they didn't change the look of the game at all. I would have been cool to at least change the color of the terrian and the look of the barbs.

Again, It just sounds like you were hoping for a peaceful game, and that's understandable, but this scenario isn't that great for it. But, you shouldn't really be bothered by them. Yes, it can make the game a little longer, but this scenario is also extremely easy to win with a single city. You can just use the French or the Greeks, and never leave, and eventually get a really quick culture or tech win.

But to be fair to the other guy, it is a common trait of a n00b when someone just tries to turtle in multiplayer. The players that just bunker down in their so few cities and try to tech up for a win, often get left in the dust, or killed off early. So, it is kind of a sign of a noob. But, if it's for preference in a single player game, it has nothing to do with skill level, I guess.

There will not be anymore patches. If there were to be any, I guarentee you that fixing a scenario wouldn't be high on their list. There hasn't been any patches since last October, and they don't plan on making anymore anytime soon, although we've begged and begged for it. Mainly to fix the multiplayer freezing issues, and some balancing issues in the game. But, most of us have accepted the fact that the game is what it is now, and we continue to play it because we enjoy it, despite its obvious flaws. Some people get fed up quickly and don't play it anymore, which is understandable.

Top Bottom