What does the "World Age" option do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

black213

Emperor
It has 3, 4 and 5 billion year options. Personally, I think I've seen an increase in ancient ruins with 5 billion years, but I might be wrong.
So what does it really do, does anyone know?

It has 3, 4 and 5 billion year options. Personally, I think I've seen an increase in ancient ruins with 5 billion years, but I might be wrong.
So what does it really do, does anyone know?

It makes the map more hilly and mountainous. I believe the older the map, the less hilly or mountainous. (erosion)

It should not have an affect on ruins.

A younger world has more rough terrain like hills and mountains while an older one has more flat terrain.

That sounds so much better ^^

A younger world has more rough terrain like hills and mountains while an older one has more flat terrain.

I thought the Rainfall ( "Arid, normal, wet" ) option controlled forests/jungles/marshes ?

That's absolutely true, the world age has no effect on the density of forests/jungles.

Playing on a "younger" world is definitely more fun, especially considering how beautiful mountains look in this game. :p It also helps with issues relating to production, as more hills = more opportunities for :c5production:.

That's absolutely true, the world age has no effect on the density of forests/jungles.

Playing on a "younger" world is definitely more fun, especially considering how beautiful mountains look in this game. :p It also helps with issues relating to production, as more hills = more opportunities for :c5production:.

I thought that world age also contributed to amount of jungles and forests, or the thickness, I dunno. But I could be entirely wrong, I haven't look at this stuff in Modbuddy or know if it's even in there.

Also, I like younger worlds too, because the mountains make for some interesting combat, and it makes some of the AI empires more interesting, since they can't just settle a city every 10 hexes.

Back in Civ2, the world age had a different effect to what other posters describe. Basically it changed the mix - how much different terrain types were shuffled - not the amounts of each type. For example, a younger world would have as many mountains as an older one, but they would be clumped together in larger amounts. As the world age got older, they got shuffled with the other terrain types. Thus an older world was more varied over a small number of tiles but more the same over a large amount. Perhaps it's different on Civ5; I haven't tried for myself yet to see who's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom