Possible fix for in game hangs

NumberTheo

Chieftain
After installing the game, I had been having problmes with hangs almost immediatly after the start of a game. The problem seems to be a missplaced file. in \Resource\Themes\Civ4\Civ4Theme_Custom.thm there is code looking for a file Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga in the resource directory. the file is actually in Civ4/Custom. Copying the file over to the HUD directory seems to have fixed the problems with the game hanging.

Comp Specs:
Inspiron 9300
Pentium M 1.83 GHz
1 Gig ram
GeForce 6800 go

I think this may be what is happening with my game (see my "Locks up between 2-5 minutes into the game). I'll try this when I get home.

What was the nature of the error? Did you get any sort of error notification? Did it crash, or just go slow for a bit...?

The problem i had was that the game would lock up almost immediatly after it started. It may be only a problem because I had detailed city info selected but it enver uccured to me to disable it. the error was listed in ThemeParseLog.txt. If your game crashes, there may be a log of the error somewhere in the folder civ 4 was installed into.
I do still get the unableto initialize renderer error if i exit a game and try to restart the program. But i guess that its just a sign that i should not stop playing.
I guess im a lot luckier than the people going through the TnL fiasco. That and i am running it on a laptop. it works thanks to the GeForce 6800 Go. And even though this game doesnt seem graphically intense, i still would trust an intel extreme graphics decelerator or an el cheapo card simply because you never know if the support they claim is real hardware or emulated.

Check your intall folder for error logs everyone.

Fixed it for about ten seconds for me. For once it scrolled nicely. Then it seized up again. The more I move around, the quicker I move around, the sooner and worse it starts to lag. Seems like the card is full and isn't dropping the old fast enough to take in the new.

Correction - between this and turning off the acceleration on my in-board sound everything is running smoothly. Finally. Now I can actually play without napping between moves. many thanks.

I looked in the error log

"[Oct 27, 2005 - 19:13:37] Messages while processing 'Resource/Themes/Civ4.thm'

Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4910, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4918, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4926, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4983, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4991, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4999, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'"

So i put it in that directory but i still lock up and screen goes blank

Good work man. Nice work around fix.

Hopefully this will be fixed in a patch from Firaxis

Ruffin. the accelleration thingy... what did you do? might fix some problems for me too :)

Windows control panel, sound and audio devices, audio, advanced, performance, hardware acceleration - set to none. Same for voice.

It works - everything runs smoothly - until I meet the neighbors. The leaderheads seem to slow it down. The more I run into, the slower it gets until I finally get irritated enough to restart the game. The only thing I can think of is that the leaderheads are sucking up memory and not letting it go.

Seems like i have one less error then "godochaos", but still the same problem. When i put somthing in the buildque after building my first city the games shots down and return to the desktop.

Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4918, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4926, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4983, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4991, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4999, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'

Wondering if someone with a working "city_titlearrows.tga" file could post it ?

SvartKatt said:
Seems like i have one less error then "godochaos", but still the same problem. When i put somthing in the buildque after building my first city the games shots down and return to the desktop.

Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4999, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'

Wondering if someone with a working "city_titlearrows.tga" file could post it ?

How odd! I just looked and I have the same error, but yet I don't crash at all. That may not be your problem if it doesn't crash me, but who knows?

Im having problems with my copy (like everyone else)

I downloaded it and started playing it and the movie was fine and everything
but when i tried to start a game, it loaded up to the point where it says "done" then nothing happens, it just stops right there.
here are some of my specs;
Dell xp laptop
256mb ram
ATI mobility radeon x300 64mb
help!

Top Bottom