W.I.N.T.E.R's Makings Thread

Vuldacon said:
yes, they do look rather like they are from Thailand ...but? Are you going for one of the Micronesians from Yap, Tinian, Guam or Rota? Perhaps Sri Lanka (Ceylon)?
If someone finds me some nice pictures of these I might... :)

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
We have a Winner :goodjob:

The shoes and the cap gave it away. ;) I think the new cap looks better. :)

Ogedei_the_Mad said:
The shoes and the cap gave it away. ;) I think the new cap looks better. :)
Okidoke, sticking to the new one, in that case- already replaced all headgear. Now I have to go and get those shoes in order.

I think I can still make use of the shoes/old cap combo, by giving the unit a different colour and thus getting a Korean unit, right?

Has anyone got anymore asian pctures of other potential civs that took part in WWII? Mongolia, Manchuria? Also looking for visuals of Quomindang (Kuomintang) "Blueshirts".

ps. the Thai you guys meant was probably the "Free Thai" that was (ill) equiped by the USA to wage a clandestine war against the Royal Thai Army (the green-uniformed guy with the French Adrian helmet seen above).

I think I had a picture of weird enough Tana Tuva soldiers laying around somewhere...

I was thinking Ethiopia, gets left out alot, though not sure if they fit into the Storm series...I have a pic though.

Thats Haile Selaisse firing the gun, but the guy on the right is appropriate. No hats at all were commen, while a hat like that guy's just to keep the sun out of your eyes, would have been a luxery. The color is a sandy brown I think.

Attachments

• ethiopia.bmp
    261.4 KB · Views: 324
bombshoo said:
I think I had a picture of weird enough Tana Tuva soldiers laying around somewhere...

I was thinking Ethiopia, gets left out alot, though not sure if they fit into the Storm series...I have a pic though.

Thats Haile Selaisse firing the gun, but the guy on the right is appropriate. No hats at all were commen, while a hat like that guy's just to keep the sun out of your eyes, would have been a luxery. The color is a sandy brown I think.

Yes, that's a good one there :) looks doable

W.I.N.T.E.R., is there any way you could come up with a detailed tutorial on how to construct a unit as good as yours? I've already looked into the tutorials sections, but none of those can give very good descriptions of what to do, and some program links are dead.

Especially Poser 5 links.

Instead of asking you to make more units, I figured it would better to learn how.

Thanks for your help.

He doesnt use Poser. This is all pixel hacking Copy&Paste work.

MorphineBoy said:
W.I.N.T.E.R., is there any way you could come up with a detailed tutorial on how to construct a unit as good as yours? I've already looked into the tutorials sections, but none of those can give very good descriptions of what to do, and some program links are dead.

Especially Poser 5 links.

Instead of asking you to make more units, I figured it would better to learn how.

Thanks for your help.
There is already an excellent poser 5 tutorial in the (surprise) tutorial section.
Also look for the kinboat unit thread in the main conference. It has alot of excellent props in it.

...The thing is...I don't have poser 5. That's the problem. A lot of tutorials involve poser 5, yes, but I cannot find a download. SO, I am asking Winter if he could give me a tutorial on how HE does it.

Now if you could explain the pixel cut & paste stuff to me instead, it would be most helpful.

There is no need for sarcasm, I'm just trying to learn how myself, so that I don't have to constantly bug you guys about making them yourselves.

Thank you.

1st. You need Flicster to export the flc files to pcx spreadsheets, then a program like the Paint Shop Pro*/Animation Shop (that's with a freeware of PSP 4 that I do it) to edit unpacked .flc files. I also use a program called MGI PhotoSuite for some easier palette changes to the entire spreadsheet.

2nd. I work on the base of modifying existing units. I.e. I open a flc file with flicster, export the resulting pcx storyboards with PSP* and pixel-by-pixel put together new headwear, shoewear or even edit weapons. Color changes may be done either before or after the modifications you intend to do via PSP (really depends on what changes are being aimed at). Exporting of file contents from other pcx files should always be done with the same program (i.e. when you are using PSP, don't import stuff from a file you are currently editing with MSPaint or Adobe Photoshop). So at this point I have an English Rifleman default file open, after I changed its colour to match that of the German rifleman, I copy the German one's helmet and paste it into the English one's file- and head. Then I go through every single frame, every single direction doing the same; exchanging the headgear one by one... after im done i can use MGI again for putting my new unit into the desired colour. Save the pcx and load the corresponding storyboard again (Flicster)- only that now your changes made in PSP to the anmation are now visible (its helpful to check before once in a while, so you see every little wobble left in frames where you weren't accurate enough in replacing the new headgear in height and horizontal position) - then you save your storyboard back into a flc and you have done one animation- then repeat with all other animations (usually between 5 and 7).

3. Wait... the rest once you get the programs installed and tried out the basics...

Winter your units are marvellous, and the fact that you are using that pixel by pixel technic...I sure do give you the credit you deserve :king:

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Latest SOE Preview:

Edit: will need to make adjustments to the north direction helmet... any other suggestions?
the north direction view of the helmet looks a little off center. no? (minor as it may be)

Top Bottom