House of Reps and Obama kill SOPA

choxorn

Watermelon Headcrab
Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation

The growing anti-SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) support that has swept through the gaming and Internet community found a very big ally today. With websites like Reddit and Wikipedia and gaming organizations like Major League Gaming prepared for a blackout on January 18th – the same day that the House Judiciary Committee hearing on HR 3261was scheduled in Washington, DC – President Barack Obama has stepped in and said he would not support the bill. SOPA has been killed, for now.

Much to the chagrin of Hollywood, the Entertainment Software Association (which has been a backer of the bill from early on), and Internet domain company GoDaddy.com (which lost many accounts as a result of its support for the bill); SOPA has been shelved. The Motion Picture Association of America, one of the bill’s largest sponsors, is expected to regroup.

But there remains another similar bill, Protect IP (the Enforcing and Protecting American Rights Against Sites Intent on Theft and Exploitation Act), that poses a problem for gamers and Internet users. This legislation is scheduled to go before the Senate on January 24th.

Both SOPA and Protect IP attempt to combat online piracy by preventing American search engines like Google and Yahoo from directing users to sites distributing stolen content. Both bills also would enable people and companies to sue if their copyright was infringed. Obama has come out against both bills, which killed SOPA and puts pressure on senators come January 24th. The full White House response can be read here.

Just like piracy itself, this debate isn’t over. Expect more bills to move forward, although the wording in future legislation is expected to be more narrowly focused in an attempt to appease the current administration. But given the current economic climate and the upcoming Presidential election, there could be a different administration entering The White House soon, changing the landscape for these types of bills.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/

:clap: :goodjob:

Eric Cantor of all people also said he'd keep the bill from passing. I never thought I'd say this, but thank you, Eric Cantor.

This is a great victory for the internet against the Entertainment Industry. That doesn't happen very often. It's good to know Congress still has some sanity left.

Protect IP is still alive in the Senate, but Obama said he'd veto that, too, and hopefully the Senate will be equally sane enough to drop this bill.

It's not over yet, but this is undeniably a good thing. :dance:

I guess this is just when we refuse to vote for anyone who does support laws like that, which leaves us with nobody who actually wants to be president and could get elected.

I'll believe it's dead when I see it dead. I've heard Obama say he will veto something before...

SOPA's been shelved, not killed. The fight continues.

It is worth pointing out. Weren't they opposed to the NDAA too, at least until Obama signed it into law? If so, why would one trust it this time?

I'm happy for now, but I reserve the right to be angry if he backs down on this one as well.

I'll believe it's dead when I see it dead. I've heard Obama say he will veto something before...

I was pretty sure he said he wanted to veto the NDAA before he didn't.
This time it's different though.
Some big corporations are against, among them Google and Facebook and they'll throw money at it until it goes away.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, as the English say.

I was pretty sure he said he wanted to veto the NDAA before he didn't.
This time it's different though.
Some big corporations are against, among them Google and Facebook and they'll throw money at it until it goes away.

Plus, he wasn't as much against NDAA completely as he was against a few small parts of it.

Do you have an OP source? I saw the article but no link to click to see where the text came from.

My bad. The link has been edited in.

In before "We can't trust that Obama feller"

Er... Wait. ;)

In before someone points out the indefinite detention.

And on that note...

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/why_im_suing_barack_obama_20120116/

Chris Hedges said:
I suspect the real purpose of this bill is to thwart internal, domestic movements that threaten the corporate state. The definition of a terrorist is already so amorphous under the Patriot Act that there are probably a few million Americans who qualify to be investigated if not locked up. Consider the arcane criteria that can make you a suspect in our new military-corporate state. The Department of Justice considers you worth investigating if you are missing a few fingers, if you have weatherproof ammunition, if you own guns or if you have hoarded more than seven days of food in your house. Adding a few of the obstructionist tactics of the Occupy movement to this list would be a seamless process. On the whim of the military, a suspected “terrorist” who also happens to be a U.S. citizen can suffer extraordinary rendition—being kidnapped and then left to rot in one of our black sites “until the end of hostilities.” Since this is an endless war that will be a very long stay.

indeed, I'll vote for Obama, but only as a way to keep whichever Republican who gets the nomination out of the White House.

Top Bottom