The Hundred Years' War for Civ5

Le Sage

Emperor

The Hundred Years' War (1337-1453) was a monumental Medieval conflict between France and England that ended in the dismount of the shining Knight in favour of well-armed infantry, and as such this era saw the end of the Middle Ages and the beginning of the modern age. The conflict involved some strong personalities on both sides; Edward III, the Black Prince, Bertrand du Guesclin, Charles V, King Henry V and Joan of Arc to name a few.

The period saw massive technological, military and social changes which still make their mark on the Western World; massive rebellions against the established kingdoms, enormous outbreaks of disease and famine, grand battles with thousands of dead in rain of Longbow arrows, but also a lot of positive tendencies, like the establishment of France and England as nations, grand building projects, art and culture which flourished at the Royal Courts.

This mod tries to recreate that exciting period in European History. There are several playable scenarios which all depict different situations during the era. 1337 deals with the outbreak of war and the English invasion, 1356 the Battle of Poitiers, 1360 the Peace of Brétigny, 1380 the Death of Charles V, 1415 the English invasion during Henry V and the reestablisment of English supremacy and 1429 deals with Joan of Arc and her rescue of France at Orléans. There are three playable nations right now; France, England and the Duchy of Burgundy. There is a lot more to be done on the mod, but this is a very playable foundation for it although it is flagged as Beta.

Installation and Playing

1. Download the mod from CivFanatics (or use the Mod Hub option) and unzip to your MyGames/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS folder.

2. Start the game and choose Mods, and then activate The Hundred Years' War in the list of installed mods.

3. Go into Game Setup. There you have to click the Maps and choose one of the scenarios. Be sure also to tick the "Load Scenario" box right there beside the chosen scenario. Then you can choose to play as either England, France or Burgundy.

4. Launch the Game and off you go to the Hundred Years' War!

Note. If you have a previous copy of the Hundred Years' War installed, please remove that before playing this new version.

Thanks and Credits

Credits for the Heavy Swordsman unit go to JayTheKiller. thanks for the Indiestone Visual Tech Tree Editor to Lemmy101.

Download

CivFanatics or ModHub (search for The Hundred Years War).

Screenies

The Battle of Orléans is fought and the French desperately pull up some second-rate troops in the face of the all-powerful English Longbowman. Won't take long now before the city falls.

The defence of Paris. The English King has landed a mega-army to the north, and the French nobles are organizing to ride out and meet him. The French knights stand ready, but so do the English with their fearsome Longbowmen. It's Henry's move now, but it's clear that a great, decisive battle is about to be fought.

Some terrain is designed and fashioned according to maps of actual Hundred Years' War battlefields. This makes it so that this, the Battlefield of Poitiers is actually historically correct to as fine a detail as I could get! The southern part of this screenshot, where the English army is deployed, is actually totally created according to historical maps, and indeed the entire area of Poitiers is. There are more such examples; I have also recreated the battlefields of Crécy and Azincourt in this way.

Le Sage, October-November 2010

Notes

This is BETA. I am still working at it. It is my first mod for Civ5 and thus, it is the result of a learning process. I am trying to create a mod that fits Civ5 just perfectly - a hard wargame. The first mod I created for Civ4 was about the Hundred Years' War as well, so why not do it again as a modding school?

There are a couple of known issues. First, I wasn't able to place France at war with England continually where there should be no option for peace at all. This has to be a bug in the editor, since I've clicked the correct boxes and all. Every now and then, the enemy will come begging for peace in the form of Alexander or Napoleon.

Static leaderheads aren't possible to create yet (it will require the player to edit his own .ini file, and I'm not creating anything like that - a mod should run just as-is, and not require such. Bad work, Firaxis!), and there are, of course, no proper 3D leaders to paste either. There are no new units here either, but they will be in here, as soon as they start arriving!

The tech tree isn't finished, but ends in the Middle ages. The Calendar doesn't show months, but each year is divided into four turns, representing the seasons. The AI hasn't provided me with much resistance and it sucks. As I am trying to create a proper wargame, this is really a disappointment. Note that I have deployed ready armies of Longswordsmen and Longbowmen and other units which are not initially buildable. These are there to provide some action. Try to conserve these troops until you can build more.

Thanks go to Kael for his Modding Guide, which was essential. Masses of thanks to JayTheKiller for his Swordsman unit and Lemmy for his Tech Tree Editor. Thanks also to the masses of Civ5 modders whose work I've been dissecting and looking into the workings of.

Nice banner. :)

Are you uploading this into the mod browser as well?

How long is the tech tree?

Yay for medieval mods. :)

Trying it out now!
I'll have to get cracking on my 30 Years War mod.
EDIT: Waiting for the dl link.
Any reason you aren't uploading it to the modhub?

I haven't done anything to the tech tree yet. There are no new units either. I only had to adda Renaissance Tech at the end of the Middle Ages so that the player can repeat-research it.

Yeah. It's going on the Mod Hub later on too.

Shiny.
Any annoying oddities/unexpected issues that came up while modding?

Lots of them! :lol: among other things, I wasn't able to make France continually at war with England, although I checked the proper tickboxes for that. This means, that until I can get a proper solution for that, the enemy will come begging for peace every now and then and show himself as either Napoleon or Alexander :(

Thanks, Jeelen. I got really pizzed at Civ5. I had been waiting for half a year, I had gotten myself a new computer and I had taken a week off from work at the release date. All for Civ5. I was one of the first Europeans to open it up on that late night and start playing. I was really disappointed after a couple of games.

I'm here because of old times' sakes, because of the name Sid Meier and because a game whihc functions as bad as this, does need our modding support. The modding community has overhauled many bad games and turned them into gems before. There is a lot to be done here.

Couldn´t agree more... I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but after a couple of weeks it feels more like playing an unfinished beta than a final release version... :crazyeye:

Yeah. This is an unfinished Beta, unfortunately. I just hope they pump in the time, energy and resources now to make it wear the name of Civilization proudly one day.

World Builder Progress

I found a screenshot I made of an early version of the Map of France (left). There are hardly any resources, no improvements and no units. Just a bunch of towns thrown about, really. And then I took a screenie of the Joan of Arc Scenario I am working on now (right). What a difference! You don't notice this stuff when you're in the thick of it.

V2 Available

V2 of The Hundred Years' War is now available on the Mod Hub. There are two new scenarios, 1337 and 1429 and some other good updates to the mod, but I haven't gotten the AI to work properly as yet. This is a work in progress though.

The update is also available on CivFanatics for download.

Couldn´t agree more... I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but after a couple of weeks it feels more like playing an unfinished beta than a final release version... :crazyeye:

Yeah. This is an unfinished Beta, unfortunately. I just hope they pump in the time, energy and resources now to make it wear the name of Civilization proudly one day.

Ya you both appear to be correct, but when you think about it, how many games are released as gems. Honestly think about the last time you have waited forever for a game to be released..and then was completely satisfied with the product. I'm sure it happens but, when I think of the past , say 5-10 years, it's few and far between. :wallbash:

On the other hand, this is a promising looking MoD LeSage, with all I said above, the modding community will make this release of Civ a fine addition.

Yeah. That's why I'm not giving up with modding it either. It will probably turn out just as fine as Civ4 BtS in the end. The Hundred Years' War will get better as the mod tools and capabilities grow as well, and limitations to modding is removed.

Yeah you're absolutely right, it is an awesome mod but the AI still is not able to play it,needs a lot of work by firaxis .I am in the 1337 sceanrio and I was able to take 4 cities in southengland in 10 rounds... although only playing it while watching tv.

I really hope firaxis sticks to its game: Civ 5 hex fields and combat is (theoratically) so much better!

Oh yes! And I thought I was creating the mod Civ5 was meant for, a real wargame with social and domestic issues minimized and warfare prioritized! I was so disappointed when I saw the English retreat before Orléans and never give me a fight, although I produced a good army for them.

I did a similar mod for Civ4, also called the Hundred Years' War, and the AI fared much better in that one, although it was pretty bad there too.

But let us not all lose our hope. I will try to play around with the AI settings (there are a lot of them), and then also hope that Firaxis fixes the AI so it wages war, hard and with pressure, and not flees like a mummy's boy as soon as he sees the impressive walls of Orléans tower against him.

Great mod! I now seem to be having trouble loading any of my saves for this mod, and the game crashes with an XML runtime error. Any ideas?

That is weird. Are your saves all created using the current version 2, or are you trying to load saves from V1 into v2?

Edit: I tested it and I get the same error. I have to resolve the issue...

i'm really digging this mod. thanks for making it!

i can confirm the save-game bug. i also tried starting a new game with the mod and then loading from within the game -- same behavior.

also, i made peace with france in order to build up some, but then couldn't declare war again (that after the 10-turn peace treaty expired). the option wasn't present in the diplomacy window, and i couldn't do any of the things that would usually trigger war (like entering territory or attacking a unit).

thoughts and comments:
the tech tree seem to go by very fast. starting from the earliest map, i had all the techs researched by 1340 or so (as england). also, it seems odd that the english have to research so deep (relatively) into the tech tree to get to longbowman that they have at the start of the game (which the map set-up implies that they can make at the beginning). same for longswordmen. oops, i see that you do have plans to expand the tech tree.

it might be reasonable to bump up the embarked moves of units. taking 4+ turns to cross the narrow part of the english channel near bayeux seems long.

also, the production cost of units seems very high. at one point, i noticed that a city could build the hagia sophia in 89 turns or a longbowman in 83 turns.

thanks again for making the mod!

Top Bottom