The King of the World Throne Room

So now that we're through #20, what's next? Another RFC? Take Jaaboo's idea (which I had been toying with myself) and redo KotW #14 in Rhye's, taking every Civ switch available to us? Earth 1000 A.D.? Civ V? Something completely different?

Earth 1000 is a fun scenario, but I suspect the game would end up being pretty short there, too. Of what you've got up on the poll, I think a modern game as Korea would be the most interesting, but any of what you've described could be a good time.

So now that we're through #20, what's next? Another RFC? Take Jaaboo's idea (which I had been toying with myself) and redo KotW #14 in Rhye's, taking every Civ switch available to us? Earth 1000 A.D.? Civ V? Something completely different?

In Vanilla RFC, one cannot switch civs more than once. So if you're India and you switch to Greece, that's it. You can't switch, say, to America after that.

I'm sure this problem could be fixed with a little bit of modding, though.

Well, shoot. I just reread through the KotW #14 thread, and I was all psyched up about the concept. Anyone with better programming chops than I have willing to take a stab at breaking the one-change limit?

In Vanilla RFC, one cannot switch civs more than once. So if you're India and you switch to Greece, that's it. You can't switch, say, to America after that.

I'm sure this problem could be fixed with a little bit of modding, though.

Well that's a shame. Still, an Earth 1000 AD would be cool to see as well, I'm eager to read Neal's game there.

Well, shoot. I just reread through the KotW #14 thread, and I was all psyched up about the concept. Anyone with better programming chops than I have willing to take a stab at breaking the one-change limit?

It seems no one ever got back to you on this :blush: I myself assumed someone would so didn't bother looking for the answer (I remembered there was one.) Damn Holiday breaks make everyone lazy.

Anyway, if you are still interested later this thread has the answer (re-linked from another older thread.)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=426685

This has been addressed in a previous thread.

In the Python folder of your RFC mod folder, find "Riseandfall.py" and open it. Find the line that says "self.setAlreadySwitched(True)" (line 423) and remove it or comment it out. That will allow you to switch as many times as you want.

Of course, although I remember spotting this previously I've never actually tried it myself. So I couldn't even comment if it would work or not.

Anyway I noticed you have another new King of the World out so I guess I'm too late in one regard, but Earth 1000AD is just as interesting in it's own way, I guess I just like some level of enforced balance of powers that these mods have. Always makes the plans for victory seem like you've earned them more from tactics and less from snowballing with good starting moves.

If your computer is up to the task (will need a 64 bit system) you could try the Realism Invictus mod, which comes default with an earth scenario.

There is an earth evolution 2 map here. It works as a map script so its no mod but it works as a regular script that you can select which your civ and opponents. All civs show up in their correct places on the map, like Egypt on the nile, England on Britain, and so on. The best part though is that the map has balanced starts like a larger europe so euro civs can get about 4 cities with standard civs. Mali has more flood plains but also copper, more food resources, and less jungle.

A standard civ configuration on this map would be england, france, portugal, germany, vikings, carthage, mali, egypt, ethiopia, arabia, ottomans, persia, russia, india, mongolia, china, khmer, japan. New world is open to colonization to england or anyone else while rome is moved to vikings to free up space in europe and greece is moved to make it a stronger start. The best part is you can always play different games with a full new world while giving asia or europe to one superpower and try to see if you can take it down at the end.

So the King of the World series is, once again, up for grabs. What do you all want to see? Another stab at E1000? A leader-hopping RFC? Divine Intervention? Something more mundane? I'm itching to get back into the swing of things!

Yay!

Shame to see Chuck go, but the game was basically over anyway, so hey.

RFC leader-hopping would certainly be an interesting one if it can be done. Maybe go back to the standard 18 for a game with one of the starts you haven't done yet, like Russia or Egypt (I don't think you even got to Catherine in the E18-hopping game).

You hinted at a "modern leaders" game a while back that might be interesting as well. Korea or Russia there, maybe?

RFC leader-hopping would certainly be an interesting one if it can be done.

It's not too hard to enable multiple-leader hopping in RFC. You go to ...\Mods\Rhye's and Fall of Civilization\Assets\Python. Open RhyesAndFall.py with a text editor (even notepad if you don't have better). The relevant line is like 1583 or so (I say "or so" because I've tinkered a little bit with my RFC to customize it for my playing preferences, so I might have added a couple lines before that. The specific condition is:

if (iCurrentTurn == iBirthYear + self.getSpawnDelay(iCiv)) and (gc.getPlayer(iCiv).isAlive()) and (self.getAlreadySwitched() == False) and (iHuman+tDifference[iHuman] < iCiv):

self.newCivPopup(iCiv)

If you want to enable multiple switches, you just delete the "and (self.getAlreadySwitched() == False)" from that.
If you want to enable switching to every civ in order, you might also have to delete the "and (iHuman+tDifference[iHuman] < iCiv)" from that (that's the condition that's supposed to prevent you from being prompted to swap to same-era competitors, like starting as Carthage then swapping to Rome 2 turns later.

I had a fairly rollicking fun game myself once when I played (in order) Babylon, Persia, Rome, Arabia, and finally Turkey, using scenario knowledge to prep my old empire for a major war just before the emergence of my new empire, then trying to claw my way back to dominance. If I'd thought of it at the time I'd even have taken it further and swapped one last time to America, because its Oil resources UHV condition is often easiest satisfied by conquering or vassalizing that area.

Anything RFC has my attention immediately...though its modmods, particularly RFC: Europe and Sword of Islam would be nice to see.
Also update your RFC version! Or get the Dawn of Civilization modmod!

Yeah you should definitely try Dawn of Civilization. Try playing as the Mongols and win a conquest victory. :king: Or try Legends of Revolution. It would be something different.

What about an Always Peace game as one of the European powers? There's various gambits one could try: the apostolic palace, culture bombing, beelining astronomy to colonize South America and Australia.

Top Bottom