Civ5 - shipping with Steamworks * plus Digital Deluxe Edition

V. Soma

long time civ fan
Here you can read the announcement of 2K Games and Valve:

It deserves to be quoted in its entirety:

Sid Meier's Civilization V players will enjoy the benefits of the Steamworks' features included in all PC versions such as auto-updating, Steam Achievements, downloadable content, multiplayer matchmaking and more.

Sid Meier's Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition
will expand players' conquests with the new Babylonian civilization and their ruler, Nebuchadnezzar II (c. 630 - c. 561 B.C.).

As King of Babylon, gamers will be able to expand their empire with advanced Babylonian Bowmen to rightfully earn the title of Nebuchadnezzar the Great. Sid Meier's Civilization V Digital Deluxe Edition will also include an in-depth "Behind the Scenes at Firaxis with Civilization V" video feature, as well as the game's epic soundtrack.

Gamers who pre-order any version of Sid Meier's Civilization V from Steam will receive
the downloadable bonus content, Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia, for free when the game is available.

The map pack will let players experience the traditional Western and Middle Eastern "Cradle of Civilization." The pack will include the Fertile Crescent with the Nile River valley to the west and extending east down the Tigris and Euphrates river valleys to the Persian Gulf. Leaders will be able to explore new terrain, cultures and conquests

EDIT:

Info on pricing:

Scheduled to launch this September, the Standard Edition will set you back $49.99/€49.99/£29.99, while the Digital Deluxe Edition, including an exclusive scenario, goes for an inflated $59.99/€59.99/£39.99

Preorder DLC?

Forced use of monopoly DRM/DD platform? (I'm ok with Steam, but not forced Steam for non-Valve games)

I'll play Elemental: War of Magic instead. No sale.

Sod. Followed by Off. Haven't companies learnt anything about forcing "online capabilities" on people?

That is disappointing but expected. I was hoping there would be a deluxe edition with useless nic-naks and charts. I was hopping to get one of those as Civ is my all time favorite series.

Rights issues and such aside, I've never had anything but trouble with trying to put Steam on any PC I've used. It turned my old one into a doorstop until I removed it.

what's the point of ingame pre-order exclusives with mods available?

and the space sim X³ was patched with Steam achievements recently, and if you mod your game you can't get any achievements, even if you're using cosmetic mods like cockpit (and the devs support modding like Firaxis does). hopefully it won't be the same with Civ.

what's the point of ingame pre-order exclusives with mods available?

and the space sim X³ was patched with Steam achievements recently, and if you mod your game you can't get any achievements, even if you're using cosmetic mods like cockpit (and the devs support modding like Firaxis does). hopefully it won't be the same with Civ.

Torchlight, which is also a game that uses Steam achievements actually WANTS you to use mods, since a few of the achievements only unlock if you are using X number of mods.

Sadly this means that I'll probably not buy this version of Civilization. No Steam is coming close to my computer. Maybe this community should try to give Firaxis a little suggestion (like a few tens of thousands of posts: we wont buy steam) to avoid such an economical suizide?

So you have to install Steam to use it?
What is really the point of shipping it with Steam? Because it doesn't prevent pirating.

You know, looking at the benefits we'll "enjoy," I can't say that a single one of them is important to me.

At first I read this as "steam version will have bonuses", but does it really mean that there is no independant retail version? Seems so uh. Well I don't have a problem with it personally, except for the potential for ******-baits like DLC you have to pay for and microtransactions. Stop being so gullible people.

I remember in the speculation thread that someone was panicking that it would be Steam-compulsory and was quickly dismissed as being a stupid idea and rightly so. Now look what's happened.

I can't believe they have really gone this path!! They ensured us in interviews they would not! Forced Steam?! I DO NOT WANT TO USE STEAM!!
Civ 5 DELUXE with a NEW civilization! Will these not lead to incompatibility issues!? Hello?? What are they thinking?! Won't it be modded in anyway?! This is ridicilous and i will seriously rethink buying Civ 5 now. Really looking forward to the game and they pull THIS off?! What are they thinking?! I DO NOT WANT TO BE FORCED TO USE STEAM! Optional = ok

EDIT: petition anyone?! Seems like thats needed

I remember in the speculation thread that someone was panicking that it would be Steam-compulsory and was quickly dismissed as being a stupid idea and rightly so. Now look what's happened.

So instead of making the game Steam-compulsory, they gave everyone an incentive by adding a MAP PACK to the Steam version. Guess it's time to start panicking, right?

This is one of the reasons I can't stand this site. The company announces the game will be available on Steam and come with a map pack, and that a special edition will come with extra stuff, and all anyone can do here is :):):):):) and moan. As a matter of fact, :):):):):)ing and moaning is all I see on this site. Some fans you are.

Why are people thinking this is Steam only? I already pre-ordered mine from Amazon UK. :dunno:

Top Bottom