Contributions from community - Feedbacks, ideas, bugs

vetiarvind

Prince
Hi, This is a thread created in order to supplement the existing "Contributions From Community" thread. Since the other thread is simply meant to contain a list of mod-mod "publish" posts for easy searching, I felt the need to create a new one in order to have all discussions related to those mod-mods in one place. This is as per raystuttgart's suggestion in that thread.

So please, let's just quote and give feedbacks right here!

P.S
This thread is redundant if mod-modders create their own threads, but often many mods are not created in their own thread. This would be a good place to discuss such miscellaneous mods.

Looks amazing! Nice work. :) My only question is: Is the Haida missing a torso texture or is the black colour a war-paint they used?

They are supposed to be black. Haida art primarily uses black, red and white, which is why I focused on those three colors when designing their units.

They are supposed to be black. Haida art primarily uses black, red and white, which is why I focused on those three colors when designing their units.
Lol ok! Maybe it needs some more *shine*? Sorry, but I was reminded of a skyrim mod where textures wouldn't show and it looked a bit similar. :mischief:

Although haida clothes have a red vertical center line from what i saw on google.

(p.s don't really take much info from me reg. graphics, I don't know much about it)

Lol ok! Maybe it needs some more *shine*? Sorry, but I was reminded of a skyrim mod where textures wouldn't show and it looked a bit similar. :mischief: (p.s don't really take much info from me reg. graphics, I don't know much about it)

Neither do I.:crazyeye:
That is why it will take some time for me to make things "shiny," as I still have to learn how to do most things.

I have another bug I would like to see solved.

Sometimes, when founding a colony near a native village, you anger the natives by inadvertently stealing their land, although the plots in question are not shown as their land before you found the colony.

Here you can see an expert Farmer about to found a colony. I float my cursor above the lower left, upper left and upper right plots, and you can see no one claims those plots:

Spoiler :

However, after I have founded my colony, the Incas suddenly claim those three plots, and get angry. I never got an opportunity to buy their land:

Spoiler :

Does any of you know what might cause this? I know you can anger natives by building on land that previously belonged to them, for example next to ruined villages of them. But that is not the case here.:dunno:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot4371.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4371.JPG
    324.3 KB · Views: 584
  • Civ4ScreenShot4372.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4372.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 562
  • Civ4ScreenShot4373.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4373.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 673
  • Civ4ScreenShot4374.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4374.JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 571
  • Civ4ScreenShot4375.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4375.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 563
  • Civ4ScreenShot4376.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4376.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 617
Sometimes native cultural borders extend more than 1 space in asymtric way. It shows at the culture view in the strategic view.

Right, but he stated that he had checked for the tiles to be owned or not:
Here you can see an expert Farmer about to found a colony. I float my cursor above the lower left, upper left and upper right plots, and you can see no one claims those plots:

^ Do you have a saved game? I assume this is R&R2.1+your submod only?

Also, I don't see anything in your dll code that points to this issue. Perhaps this needs to be reposted in the main "bugs" thread?

You are right. I have reposted it in the Bugs thread of the main mod.

Hey agnat86, just wondering - would it be possible to break up your large modmod into smaller pieces? Say, for FF, traits, natives etc? Then people and mod-integrators will be able to more easily take the ideas they like. Creating a large modmod invariably means that it becomes an all-or-nothing scenario. Also it would make it easier for Schmiddie to incorporate some of your ideas into R&R. My suggestion is based on how modders publish in other games. Although i understand if you don't have the time for this.

Hey agnat86, just wondering - would it be possible to break up your large modmod into smaller pieces? Say, for FF, traits, natives etc? Then people and mod-integrators will be able to more easily take the ideas they like. Creating a large modmod invariably means that it becomes an all-or-nothing scenario. Also it would make it easier for Schmiddie to incorporate some of your ideas into R&R. My suggestion is based on how modders publish in other games. Although i understand if you don't have the time for this.

I'm afraid I'm not going to do that. You see, most of these changes I've made some time ago, and they often depend on each other functionally, and are balanced out against one another, and it would be extremely tedious and time-consuming work to separate a singular feature from the rest, let alone do it for each one of them.
For example, I've created several new XML tags that appear in every entry in a specific XML file. If I would take them apart, then for every separate feature I would have to delete all other new XML tags, for every entry there is.

And that just is too much trouble, I'm afraid.:(

So if anyone wants to use only a part of my stuff, then he will have to do the separation work himself. I always try to add comments to everything I add in DLL at least, so these things usually should be easy to find.
But obviously, I advise to just use the entire package, as I always do a lot of playtesting, so my changes are relatively well optimized both for balance and gameplay fun.

I think I will be going to add two more Map Sizes to the game. Currently, the difference between Huge and Gigantic is very big, and I already got feedback from people who found Huge too small and Gigantic too big.

So my plan is to create two new map sizes, Massive and Enormous, between Huge and Gigantic.

I think I will be going to add two more Map Sizes to the game. Currently, the difference between Huge and Gigantic is very big, and I already got feedback from people who found Huge too small and Gigantic too big.

So my plan is to create two new map sizes, Massive and Enormous, between Huge and Gigantic.

Yes, a very good idea! A map size between huge and gigantic seems to be nice. Gigantic is a nice map size but the KI does not use its capacity...and in the late game the Performance for some player is getting worse so that a new mapsize a little bit smaller than gigantic would be fine! :goodjob:

I've made the new mapsizes. If Schmiddie wants me to, I can also add them to the main mod.:thumbsup:

One strange thing though.
The graphical bug that makes the northern part of the map black if you zoom out too far, which only happened on gigantic maps, also occurs my two new mapsizes. However, the black part is just as big as it is on a gigantic map, and it is the visible southern part that becomes very small. This screenshot is from a "massive" map, and only a small strip near the south pole is visible:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot4397.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot4397.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 314
So if anyone wants to use only a part of my stuff, then he will have to do the separation work himself. I always try to add comments to everything I add in DLL at least, so these things usually should be easy to find.
But obviously, I advise to just use the entire package, as I always do a lot of playtesting, so my changes are relatively well optimized both for balance and gameplay fun.

Sure, I understand. Also, nice idea with the map-size. Even one intermediary would be cool. Also, will they have the same number of players as either huge or gigantic or will that also be balanced?

Sure, I understand. Also, nice idea with the map-size. Even one intermediary would be cool. Also, will they have the same number of players as either huge or gigantic or will that also be balanced?

They will all have eight European players, but for the natives, I have made the numbers of players intermediate between huge and gigantic, which means, I put them at 1/3rd of the difference for Massive size, and at 2/3rds for Enormous size. From the top of my head, I believe 12 natives on huge, 20 on massive, 28 on enormous, and 35 on gigantic (with the four nations I added plus Schmiddie's addition of the Nez Perce, the total number will be 35).

I have balanced all other things (map length and width, target number of cities) the same way.

I've made the new mapsizes. If Schmiddie wants me to, I can also add them to the main mod.:thumbsup:

One strange thing though.
The graphical bug that makes the northern part of the map black if you zoom out too far, which only happened on gigantic maps, also occurs my two new mapsizes. However, the black part is just as big as it is on a gigantic map, and it is the visible southern part that becomes very small. This screenshot is from a "massive" map, and only a small strip near the south pole is visible:

I would try making all the settings except for the map width and height equal for gigantic and normal map sizes, in order to see if the problem lies with the map's physical size or with some other setting associated with gigantic maps (i.e. number of civs).

Top Bottom