Revolution for Android?

UFDelt

Strategist
I just got t he HTC Hero and I was wondering if there's any development for bringing this game to the Android OS. Does anyone know anything?

I just got a DROID and would love to play some Civ during my commute!

C'mon Sid, give us Civ Rev on Android!! :)

As per one of the podcasts, the iPhone version was started as a skunkworks project, i.e. unofficial. However, if the iPhone version of CivRev is profitable then I could see Firaxis exploring an Android version. Of course, it also depends on:
1. the Android platform is powerful enough to handle the CivRev engine
2. the interface is standardized & large enough to accomodate the UI (and ideally can be ported from one of the other versions without much effort)
3. the development tools are up to the task (again, without much effort)
4. the store & packaging provides for reliable payment & prevents piracy

I am guessing that it will probably take another "skunkworks" type project. Although, like Eric said, if the iPhone version is sufficiently profitable, they just might do some official investigating of the possibility.

One reason I would love CivRev for the Droid is because it runs Linux as the OS -- the first step in getting Linux-Native Civ! :D

I've been reading a lot about the difference between designing for iPhone and Android and it makes me think this might be less of a possibility.

iPhones all have the same size screen and there are only three different devices.

Android has so many different devices with different specs and screens that it sounds like a nightmare. But maybe they could do something specifically for devices that are powerful enough, perhaps only allow it to run on Android 2.0 or higher.

Actually, the Droid phones aren't that much harder to code for than the i<Whatever>, especially if the devs have C++ and Java experience, as well as Linux experience

They all run on the same OS, the screens all more or less handle the same resolutions (regardless of size), and the main hardware isn't that much different from unit to unit.

Hence why there are very few "works on phone A but not phone B" issues (other than OS version. IE: 1.5 vs 2.0)

CivRev for Android would most likely be no more difficult to make than the iPod/iPhone version.

Side-note: The Facebook version of Civilization that Sid and Co. are working should be able to work with any of the Droid phones without any problems.

One reason I would love CivRev for the Droid is because it runs Linux as the OS -- the first step in getting Linux-Native Civ! :D

But would it be a challenge because Android OS does not contain all of the libraries found in a regular Linux Distro.

FYI, just gotten a new phone with Android OS in it.

But would it be a challenge because Android OS does not contain all of the libraries found in a regular Linux Distro.

FYI, just gotten a new phone with Android OS in it.

Yes, of course, but libraries can be added when installing an app, I presume.

Whats the difference between a Samsung Androiod powered phone and a HTC Android powered phone? Like ie: HTC Hero from Sprint with Android and the Samsung Moment from Sprint with Android. I thought that all Android powered phones were HTC so whats the deal?

Sorry Custodian1V31, I disagree. Unit sales of either are only really relevant for the OSes.

Demographic of user base is significantly more important for a specific application.

Individual one is a player of PC games, question is do they buy an Apple PC (Oh yes they are :lol: ) ?

Answer: Nope, not in general, as they tend to give less power for the buck.

Did the same person buy an Ipod/Iphone..of course they did, gamers love gadgets.

Will/did many get frustrated at Apples "control issues" ?....you bet your behind.

I'm one of them..had an Iphone from the get-go. Not anymore, Android does everything worthwhile that the Iphone could AND more. I went with the HTC Hero and pleased I did.

I think OS4.0 from Apple needs to hit soon and hard or they will (as analysts predict) be playing second fiddle in 2012.

In finishing, I suspect the installed userbase as it stands contains more likely purchasers than the iphone. Android is a geeks (mobile) wetdream after all ;)

My HTC Desire is on the way. Was hoping Revolution was already available.

This is my vote for an Android version.

bump for great justice (yeah even tho it's already on the first page)! civ 1 on snesoid just isn't cutting it.

Seconding! Wait... how did you get civ1 for your Android? When I type in "Civilization" or "Civ" the closest thing I see in the market is that P-O-S "The Settlers" game, which, incidentally, blows.

He's using a Super Nintendo emulator on the Android. He downloaded a copy of Civilization for Super Nintendo, and is playing that.

Just to let you all know, this is illegal unless you own a physical copy of the SNES version of Civilization.

He's using a Super Nintendo emulator on the Android. He downloaded a copy of Civilization for Super Nintendo, and is playing that.

Just to let you all know, this is illegal unless you own a physical copy of the SNES version of Civilization.

correct. in other news, yongzh is collaborating with zodttd to port a playstation emulator, so at least civ2 is around the corner.

Looking at getting a HTC Legend and will need some Civ action for it!
Maybe we can find a way to put some pressure/encouragement for Fraxis (or someone) to bring Civ Rev from iPhone to Android.
Civ ROM for SNES sounds fun, but we need moar! Glad to hear about the possibility of Civ 2..

I think Sid mentioned during a presentation they're working on a Facebook version.

Since that's probably Flash based, they might just as well put it on the iDroid too. Provided Adobe finally gets Flash working on Droid of course. :crazyeye:

strhopper, can you tell me what you did to get that custom rom working? I have a Samsing Galaxy Si9000 which comes with stock android 2.1, so flash does not work on that phone... Can I download a custom rom to get 2.2 to work on that phone too? What skills do I need to have to get 2.2 to work, and what risks do I take, if any?

Top Bottom