PBEM Playtest of AWAW v1.2

My hat is off to you, Bo! It's been my current 'favorite' since I first 'found' it! :)

Sounds like perhaps, instead of (just) game #3... you should start game#4 at the same time. Game #5, even? Lot's of interest out there and, as stated way back, I wouldn't mind having a go at the Germans, either! Thanks for a great scenario! Been great reading this one, while playing another (thanks for good 'tips' to virtually everyone! ;)

Gary

Aye this is indeed alot of fun! One thing bother me though.

The invincible tactic. Stack some tanks or AA defenses then put a fighter over them and it's totally untouchable.

Oh yes, that tactic is never going to go away. I calm myself with that it could reflect an army backed up by airsupport - thus quite protected. The best chance to counterattack is to wait for the army to enter a city IMO.

Well, it's great that most of the time we have been able to run a good paste. Good job everyone. :king:

I think it could be great to start a new game. Since what I have read from your posts, a setup could be as follow (if you Eivind agree to play Japan :mischief: )

USSR: Boli
Germany: Gary
UK: Morten
Japan: Eivind
USA: Voltar

It would be ok for me to sit this one over. I could/will monitor the game closely and try and improve some features along the way. I could perhaps also play as Minor Axis to balance the game a bit, but as far as I remember there was a player in the other game wanting to play along. What do you all say about this?

But, actually, having someone play both Minor's... I suspect that would actually 'add a lot of flavor' to the scenario. To bulky, though? I take it back. Bo, if there was someone who wanted to play a Minor, I'd strongly suggest (if only one) playing the Axis. The Allied are just to vast, as a Minor. Case in point, look at the last game turn in this game #1.

Voltar: end game belongs to the Allies. In a solo game, I'm experiencing allied air flying into occupied Spain, and destroying entrenched JagTigers, which are in the cities, WITH an AA flak unit.

Bo: would this be because it's tageting the larger defensive value, and ignoring the AA flak units?

Gary

I thought about that myself, Gary, but I changed my mind remembering Spain was a part of the minor axis. But if everyone else is ok with it, it's ok with me :)

Why not have a full seat of players? - I think it will be very interesting to see Eivind and Gary as the combined Axis, with someone adding up as the minor Axis. I think a minor allied player would spice things up considerably too for the Allies (although they will probably mostly slowly die).

- And remember to notify Pete, who wanted to play along this third time.

Ah, yes... I too, had forgotten about Spain. I suppose they could be started off 'Pink', as with Chinese National forces, and also Poland (Ha, ha, aren't I nice with Bo's time??? :), but then that would neccessitate some of the Minor Allied also converting to 'Pink. (Spain, as 'Pinko's'... :)... could effectively be (most likely?) allowed to 'sit out' the conflict, per real life?)

Basically, I just don't think that Germany gets enough 'support' from the Axis Minor... at least initially in the game. Even before Germany has to (eventually) always war against Italy, the Minor Axis doesn't really 'help' the Germans, so much as they're just an 'obstacle' to the Allies. No joint coordination, etc. As I see it, Germany actualy playes totally alone (japan being distant), against the combined allies. So I would think that, if only ONE Minor was opened up for human play, it should be the Minor Axis. The Minor Allied, left to the AI... would be 'just' about right confronting the Axis on-slaught (I keep thinking about Alex's <Voltar> comments, and realize that a human playing France could effect perhaps TO stiff an initial defense. With financial and also tech pouring into France from USA and UK, starting game turn #1 (which it would)... I'll bet that Germany could be prevented from EVER taking the country, with the exception of some initial cities. It seems that it (France) would turn out to be more of an un-realistic 'meat grinder' that would devastate/wear down Germany's entire might, leaving Russia the entire intial 'trump card'. Both Minor's played by humans might be fun (only one way to find out:), but I'd stick with just the Minor Axis (again) if only one were played by a human.

Just rambling thoughts, gentlemen... not like I'm a 'wiz' at this! Just my '2 cents'.

Gary

A full set of people will certainly test the senrio a lot more and make it more... how many turns will the Axis last to perhaps... will the Axis win?

Saying that I pity the poor fool who takes Minor Aliies :D

Well, I think that 7 players are too many. In spite of all good intensions my experience is that it is going to be too slow. Also, I concur to Gary's points that the Minor Axis are better suited for human players than Minor Allies. Especially with Duke playing the latter they maybe will become too powerfull (yes, still shaken from the Hammer PBEM). But I would suggest that, if you are also interested in Playing Minor Axis Duke, that you could take them.

I'm not so sure that I'd pity the Allied Minor, if human controled. In fact, if I hadn't wanted (and voiced) an interest in having a 'go' at Germany for the last six months... I'd be up for it. Tell you what... game AFTER this one, I'd take the Minor Allies, if enough guys wanted another game.(I love the scenario!)

Gary

I think 7 players will indeed be a bit much.

But *think* that I would actually "pity" the German player, should France be human controlled. I think what I could do, playing it, against Germany

I think of playing Germany, with you, Duke, playing a non-realistic French defensive... or 'Blood and Guts Alex', or Morten, or Bo, or Boli, or anyone else even 'half' competent... and I kind of 'shudder' for Germany. Of course, easy enough to 'test'.

But, it is our collective *thoughts*, I guess, that may (or may not) be of some presumed value to Bo with this GREAT scenario. That's why the 'test' games, eh?

My thinking (so far) is that this scenario is incredibly near (if not exact) perfect for solo gaming. But, when throwing in the human players in PBEM like this, it's TO lopsided against Germany, TO fast. Hence game #1 ending in only 40-some turns. Game #2 should be different in it's 'length' respect, but simply due to the USSR (me) not yet entering the fray. And, I've yet to play this scenario where the Minor Axis were actually of HELP, or even VALUE to Germany, solo gaming.

But, these are 'test' games, so I'm very open to whatever you guys decide! Cumbersome of course, but seven players would definately 'test' it to the max, and determine if human control of both minor's would 'skew' it against Germany, I would think????????????????

Top Bottom