World map

OsmarChito

Warlord
They should add world map trading like they used in past civ games don't you all think?

They should add world map trading like they used in past civ games don't you all think?

I kinda agree, especially that I tend to avoid exploration for a while once I meet all of the civs, and unless I'm going for a diplo victroy, I don't care about the other City States.

I don't think that's a good idea. It dramatically reduces the impact of exploration, which is one of the more fun things to do. Considering the amount of difficulty with faulty maps even during WWII, there's no compelling need to add them for historical reasons either.

I don't think that's a good idea. It dramatically reduces the impact of exploration, which is one of the more fun things to do. Considering the amount of difficulty with faulty maps even during WWII, there's no compelling need to add them for historical reasons either.

Perhaps the compromise is to allow it later in the game; they already have Satellites and so we know that they are not completely opposed to unearnt exploration. It is possible that they might have trading somewhat later than other games have had.

Or maybe it could be so you could only trade maps of your own territory, meaning lands within your borders. If an AI civ is sharing a border with a city-state or another civ you have yet to meet, the 'value' of the map will go up. You will also essentially be trading happiness (or receiving) if there are natural wonders within the borders. This seems like a better deal to me than open borders, and it would also greatly increase the cost and importance of trading open borders, and possibly cut down on exploits as well.

I am not sure about that, I don't mind waiting for the map to show completely in the late game. However, they should add some huge world TSL maps, with a few different variations.

I think they should add it as an espionage activity, making it possile for your spies to 'borrow' maps from other civs that you are spying on. The map recived should also be like the ones obtained in ruins, meaniung there would be patcches of the map unkown while others could be explored.

This. I like that there's no way to uncover the map without exploring it yourself. Plus map trading would affect things like finding National Wonders (so you could potentially buy someone's map and end up with +++ happiness instantly, plus unlock a CS quest or two).

This sort of stance on revealing parts of the map by nationally funded exploration favors imperialism and seems Eurocentric, as many nations have succeeded without it, having learned about other lands by maps constructed by cartographers based on accounts of local "explorers", i.e. merchants and diplomats.

I think they should add it as an espionage activity, making it possile for your spies to 'borrow' maps from other civs that you are spying on. The map recived should also be like the ones obtained in ruins, meaniung there would be patcches of the map unkown while others could be explored.

If Firaxis doesn't add full map trading, I'd welcome that. Adding it to espionage would be interesting.

Only allow minimap trade. Map trading and tech trading make the game boring.

Only allow minimap trade. Map trading and tech trading make the game boring.

That's way too complex in my opinion, if you gonna permit minimap trading then just make map trading anyways. If that would be in it would be absolutely pointless, minimaps are nearly useless in game anyway, they tell you nothing but city locations, territory and mountains (oh and water and rivers).

THAT'S IT.

Besides, I'm sure it's hardcoded that the in-game terrain map works together with the mini-map.

thats a very good idea....they should add that

What if instead of map trading have exploratory agreements? Like research agreements instead of tech trading, have it so each side pays x gold and over the next 30 turns random tiles that the other player has found that are adjacent to known tiles are revealed?

What if instead of map trading have exploratory agreements? Like research agreements instead of tech trading, have it so each side pays x gold and over the next 30 turns random tiles that the other player has found that are adjacent to known tiles are revealed?

Hm, on paper it sounds good, but in reality you save way more money and are better off just scouting it yourself.

I guess you could "steal" enemy's map via Espionage, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I mean, we can already steal techs, so why not steal maps?

In all of my Civ5 games, I have rarely re-loaded. The only exception was when I get a map in a ruin. I won't even look at its "content" when it comes up because I value exploration and surprises so highly in the early game. There aren't 'that' many hexes on a standard map so I see no reason to know about any in advance or without exposing the hex myself.

I like the idea a couple people mentioned earlier of just being able to trade a map of what's in your borders.

Top Bottom