CTP WW2 units found

Harlan

Chieftain
Hi,
A long time back, I made a ton of units for CTP, in the hopes of making an awesome WW2 mod for the game. I think it was about 65 different units. Alas, the company dumped the game. However, today I was digging through my files and came across the "raw" files for all of these units. These might make great Civ3 units, if anyone wants to try to give converting them a shot.

All the units have 5 different facings. Flip several of these, and you get all 8 facings a unit needs. None of these have any animations to them, nor sound, but that could be added by creative types. Most of these were taken from the East Front / West Front games, or TOAW games, or from somewhere else on the web. I didn't actually draw any, just grabbed and converted. But this will give people a big leg up if they want to convert from any of those sources. I also made some pretty unusual things, cos part of my plan was to have "what if" units, not just the units that were commonly used. So you get some wierd things like the Do335.

I also tried to be very consistent on size. Within each sphere of action (ground, naval, or air), all the units were designed to be proportionally correct with each other. CTP was really good that way - you could have really big units. So some of these may need to be resized.

The raw units altogether are about 5 MB in size. They're all .tif files. I also have bigger pictures of the same units for all, that were meant for the civilopedia.

Examples will follow.

I would post examples of what the civilopedia graphic files look like, but I think I'm pushing my luck with the amount of graphics in this thread. Maybe later.

By the way, CTP has the shadows stored in a different file. The raw graphic zips include those too, but one has to put them back together for Civ3. Which is why the images displayed here are without shadows.

I hope someone or some people try to convert some of these. I did a lot of work on this for CTP which ended up being all in vain - maybe it wasn't after all, if they could be made to work for Civ3.

Here's a bit of info from the read me that gives more specific unit names in some cases. I wanted to keep some things generalized - for instance, have only one Light Tank instead of one for each side. But I would use a specific model's image for these generalized units as well.

A LIST OF UNITS IN THIS COLLECTION

These symbols indicate which "civ" the unit is most associated with, if any:
**= Axis only, ## Allies only, @@ Russians only
In some cases, generic units have their graphics based on a specific image or I left out the make number for simplicity's sake. These are mentioned in parantheses.

Freight (a "virtual" trade unit like the Caravan)
Strongpoint
## Mech. Infantry (M3A1 half-track)
** Panzer Grenadiers (SdKfz 251)

ARTILLERY
Anti-Aircraft Gun (Bofors 40 inch)
Heavy Anti-Air Gun (M1 90mm, US)
** 88 Gun
Fixed Artillery
Artillery (M1 6 inch, US)
Heavy Artillery (M2 155mm Long Tom, US)
@@ Katyusha (Rocket Launcher)
** German SP Gun (Wespe)
@@ Russian SP Gun (ISU-122)
## Priest SP Gun (M7)

TANKS
Light Tank (Mark II, German)
@@ T34-75 Tank
@@ T34-86 Tank
@@ IS-2 Tank
@@ IS-3 Tank
@@ KV-1 Tank
** Mark IV Tank
** Stug III
** Panther Tank
** Tiger Tank
** King Tiger Tank
## Matilda Tank
## Churchill Tank
## Comet Tank
## Grant / Lee Tank (M3)
## Sherman Tank (M4)
## Pershing Tank (M26)

AIR
Atomic Bomb
Biplane (Hs-123)
Fighter (P-40 Kittyhawk)
Bomber (Beaufighter)
** V1 Missile
** V2 Missile
** Wasserfall SAM
** Bf-109 Fighter
** Fw-190 Fighter
** Do-335 Fighter
** Me-262 Fighter
** Junkers Ju-88
** Ju-87 Stuka Dive Bomber
** Hs-129 Fighter
## Spitfire Fighter
## Mosquito
## Mustang Fighter (P-51)
## Shooting Star (P-80)
## Flying Fortress (B-17)
## Thunderbolt (P-47)
@@ Yakolev Fighter (Yak-9)
@@ La-7 Fighter
@@ Stormovik (Il-2)

NAVAL
Aircraft Carrier
Battleship
Battle Cruiser
Cruiser
Destroyer
Landing Craft
Transport
Submarine
** U-Boat
** XXI U-Boat

some of these are from panzer general series...

nice

Finally, just for completeness, here are the units that I would have included, had I been able to find something to steal them from. This does not include people-based ground units like infantry, spies, partisans, etc ... (I was gonna have about 15 of those), which I never got started on. My main problem was finding airplane graphics, so all of these missing ones are airplanes. Between these and the ones I made, I did a very thorough research of what the most important units should have been for a WW2 scenario, given that one has to simplify the complexity of the war. There were a lot of paths not taken, for instance a German heavy bomber, Allied jet planes, wierd but effective German units just coming into production as the war ended, etc... I think if you've gonna replay WW2, you should give the players more options than just the units that really did become prominent in the war.

The scenario, if completed, would have had about 90 units.

The missing graphics:

** P-1101 Fighter
** Arado 234 Jet Bomber
** He-177 Bomber
## Lancaster Bomber
## Meteor Jet Fighter
## B-29 Superfortress
@@ Pe-8 Bomber
@@ Tupolev Bomber (Tu-2)

Wow!:eek: :)

Looks like some one is going to have their work cut out for them.:lol:

But seriously, I bet that there are loads of people out there who have the urge to design units for civ III, but just didn't have the material to work with. Now is your chance!;)

Personaly I'm going to see If I can do something with those russian air craft. I have taken on the task of building the Russian and British tank armies and am now making good progress.

Here is a shot of my Churchill, mk I (V2.00). My first design wasn't realy going anywhere, as it was just my crocodile without a trailer.

No Japanese units, cos the scenario was going to be European theater only.

If more than one person is gonna try converting some of these, then maybe people should make clear who's doing what, so there's no accidental duplication of effort. Not to mention, which units have already been done already (or are in progress)? I know some like the Me262 have been done in full animation mode, much better graphically than what I have here.

Of the units here I am currently working on fully animated versions of the Churchill, IS-2 and IS-3 (though these may take a while if any one wants do work on converting what we have here) and all three russian planes, though even with a full animation, I doubt that I could do better than what can be done with these.
I also plan to do a general light tank.

Top Bottom