Archeological dig sites - spawning

oddtail

Warlord
I have played a few games now (trying to patiently withstand the game crashing quite frequently at larger maps... I hope there will be a hotfix soon that will improve things for me, but I digress), and I noticed a peculiar thing.

Namely, I don't think I've seen an archeological dig site spawn on any tile with an improvement built.

I am not sure if it's a matter of me never noticing one, or not being lucky enough to find one, but I get the feeling an improved hex does not seem to spawn an archeological dig, ever. Is that the case? Could anyone confirm seeing a site on a Farm or Mine or whatever, or is my observation true?

If I'm indeed right, I have rather mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it makes dig site spawn in rather remote locations - it's both flavourful and means there will be a race to get some of the sites. It also gives an extra incentive to grow larger borders, which is a little trickier in BNW, especially if you don't open Tradition (and it's the first time since G&K that I actually sometimes don't). On the other hand, it almost feels like a player is punished for having heavily improved cities...

I've certainly seen them appear on improved tiles. The game even prompts me if I want to remove that farm to make room for an archaeological dig.

make sure you have resource icons on - especially in larger maps. as sometimes the graphic wont load and you may just see a hill, farm, etc. but there is actually a dig site there.

Happened with a few of the hidden sites and standard sites on my game

I can confirm they do go underneath the improvement. A lot of times it is hard to tell its there unless your icons are active. My current games arch sites are used up in my empire and I havent seen them yet in another empire, so I cant put a screen shot of it atm.

make sure you have resource icons on - especially in larger maps. as sometimes the graphic wont load and you may just see a hill, farm, etc. but there is actually a dig site there.

Happened with a few of the hidden sites and standard sites on my game

Wow, thanks a bunch =) I really dig (see what I did there?) the new mechanic, to the point where France is quickly getting to be my favourite Civ again, along with Aztecs (who are also more fun in BNW) and Poland. And yeah, I usually play without resource icons - I only turn them on when I look for Coal or Aluminium just outside my borders. I'll be sure to turn it on when on the hunt for sites, as well.

Thanks again!

the only real problem I see with these is that it is all based on early game losses. Which is really limited due to the lack of aggression. I would LOVE to see more wars earlier for this fact. I mean the arch sites are not generated when the map is generated. Maybe the hidden ones? Id rather see some Civ verses Civ arch sites. I have came across one so far, and thats out of at least 50ish. All my empire ones and me and barbs.

The number of sites that will be generated is relatively constant - it's not that more battles and city ruins will lead to more sites. It just generates generic sites if there are no good candidates in an area.

Top Bottom