Black Screen - Trading / Diplomacy Screen - Civ 5 - nVidia - Fully Patched

Mark the Bold

Warlord
Hello All,

Just upgraded my ati 4870 to a 560gtx-ti nvidia card to play DX11 on this game.

Now whenever I go to the diplomacy screen, my monitor goes dark and game is unresponsive. Apparently this happened a lot when the game was just released but I have the latest graphics drivers for my card and the Civ 5 game is patched.

Reinstalled Civ5 from scratch after deleting all local content and it still crashes. Anything I can do to fix this?

Please help.

I just upgraded from Geforce GTX 275 to 570 to run in DX11. I am running at 1920x1200, will all settings maxed. I played the game for about 70 turns yesterday with no problems whatsoever. Today I seem to be crashing just about every time another civ contacts me. After some fiddling, turning off AA seems to have helped so far.

Also interested in any info on this as I am having the exact same issue with the exact same card. It doesn't happen every time a diplomacy screen opens and seems very random (although MUCH more likely to happen the first time a particular leaderhead screen loads)

Civ fully patched. Drivers completely updated (actually saw that there was a new driver update for the 560 Ti's released today so I even installed that.) No dice. I even tried scaling back the graphical settings for the leaderhead screen (though with a i5 750, GTX 560 Ti, and 8 gigs of RAM I certainly should not have to) and thought maybe I fixed the problem. No dice, bumped into a new civ and bang, black screen of death. Nothing I can do but ALT+CTRL+DELETE and load my last autosave.

It's really infuriating, I am finally started to get into Civ 5 after chalking it up as a total letdown at release. I decided to try it again and I'm enjoying it again. Except that about once every hour it crashes like this and I lose 20+ minutes of progress. Don't know how much longer I can put up with it...

Getting this too. Also got the 560 Ti (two of them, infact) so it's sounding like this might be an issue in regards to the 560 Ti. Just to clearify (for me atleast) it's not a crashing issue, the game is still running, it's just the screen goes black. It seems to only happen to me randomly when another civ with message me. It's really really frustrating. Oh, forgot to mention, I'm playing Dx11 aswell.

specs: I7 960, 12 gigs RAM, Dual Nvidia 560 Ti, Win 7 x64 Professional

Update: Turned off the AA but with no results.

Having exact same issue. GeForce GTX560 Ti w/ most recent drivers and every couple turns I get either a yellow screen or black screen and locks up my system. I have to do a hard reboot to recover. Can hear ambient noises in the background. What the heck. Let me know if anyone hears of a fix to the issue.

Hello,

i have the same troubes with my GTX470. However i can solve the problem by setting the diplomacy screen details to low.

Regards
Sebastian

Exact same problem here with two GTX 560 ti.

As soon as a leader contacts me, my screen goes black but doesnt crash.

This game has had problems since day 1 with diplomacy screens causing crashes and instability, the black screens only started after the latest patch.

However i can solve the problem by setting the diplomacy screen details to low.

That is what I used to do, I assume the latest patch fixed it and maxed my settings. This game has been out for a lond time now, and still cant run without problems on the diplomacy screen on a high end PC.

What a joke this game is.

Having similar issues.
i5 760, 4gb ram, GTX460 768mb.

Setting diplomacy screen details to low solves the issue, but its ugly :(

Update: For what's it worth I have not experienced the below mentioned problems since applying the NVIDIA card update from May 2011. Version 275.33

There is a problem to be sure but I also find that Windows 7 and NVIDIA updates might be at least partially to blame, at least in my experience. Seems my system has been in perpetual need of updates the last few days.

Once the updates are installed thing seem smoother though I"ve needed to make some adjustments for system performance.

For those tracking the issue, my system is as follows:

i7 860 2,8, 4GB RAM, GeForce 250 GTS 1 GB -
Running DirectX 11
1980 X 1080

I do not like the card and am going to replace it but I too have had the black screen during dialog that required the Task Manager to close. It does not lock the game completely but it is unplayable (sound and a black screen).

Odd thing is that I accidentally clicked on play Civ V in Steam (from the taskbar) and the program tried to load again even though I had not yet stopped the program. The DirectX version/Civ V menu came up. At that point I closed the process but I found that curious.

I also had stuttering when I first restarted the game, making me suspicious of another process. I've lowered the video settings a bit in the interim and haven't had another black screen incident...yet. I now have yet another Win7 update and will see how it runs.

I have the same problem. Black screen on diplomacy, and having to restart the game.
My configuration is i7 930 2.8, 6 gb ddr3, and geforce 560ti
I just bought the game yesterday literary, and was able to play it normally for 3 hours.

I have a geforce 460, and have had this problem since the game launched. As has been observed already, changing the leader detail down to "low" or "minimum" fixes it. There's threads all over the internet about this issue.

I have a geforce 460, and have had this problem since the game launched. As has been observed already, changing the leader detail down to "low" or "minimum" fixes it. There's threads all over the internet about this issue.

That's a bummer for all concerned. I've had no more problems with the 250 (mentioned above), after installing the NVIDIA patch. I guess I'll wait on an upgrade...

I've had this problem since I updated my drivers <.< which is kinda stupid to say the least. Any solutions?

I have the same problem using an ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti DirectCu II,
an i7 cpu, Win 7 64bit, 8 GB Ram.

I found an online review for a MSI 560 ti card, where the review describes the very same problem, and explains it with
quote:
"Civilization V uniquely uses a DX11 multi-threaded texture compression system and works with multi-threaded drivers when the Leader Screen is set to "High." Until now, DX11 multi-threaded drivers have not been available, NVIDIA has introduced some support for DX11 multi-threaded drivers in the latest drivers. One reason this feature hasn't been enabled in drivers until now is because of stability, and Civ 5 is currently the only game that supports DX11 multi-threaded driver functions. "
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/04/25/msi_n560gtxti_hawk_video_card_review/4

Check out this info here at the 2kgames forum:

"bigden
Firaxis Producer
We've seen this with a few 560 TI's. Where talking to nVidia now, and should have the issue resolved soon. "

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?105681-civ-5-crashes-pc.-Black-screen-and-restarts!/page2

I'm not sure if this info helps anyone, but at least it shows that it seems to be a rather more common problem.

Same friggin issue with diplomacy (GeForce GTX470) Damn you Augustus! I thought you was to blame.

Gonna try the lower setting in diplomacy, but that frankly sucks.

Edit: No black screen so far. Oh well.

Getting this too. Also got the 560 Ti (two of them, infact) so it's sounding like this might be an issue in regards to the 560 Ti. Just to clearify (for me atleast) it's not a crashing issue, the game is still running, it's just the screen goes black. It seems to only happen to me randomly when another civ with message me. It's really really frustrating. Oh, forgot to mention, I'm playing Dx11 aswell.

specs: I7 960, 12 gigs RAM, Dual Nvidia 560 Ti, Win 7 x64 Professional

Update: Turned off the AA but with no results.

Exact same here. I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1024 MB).

Odd that I should find this exact problem, with this exact card...and no answer.

Much like others, finally get into this, then my 560 Ti chokes on it. Keeps crashing the video driver. No other games seem to, however.

C'mon, Japan has half the world, we must conquer the rest!

e: it only starts happening to me around late-game. Once I'm into the modern era on the larger maps, it starts crashing every 2 to 3 turns.

I too am having the same issue with the 560 ti.

But, FWIW, there is a way to gracefully save progress and exit from the black screen, since the screen is dead but keyboard/mouse interaction is not:

(1) Hit ESC to exit the diplomacy interaction.
(2) Hit F11 to do a Quicksave.
(3) Press Alt+F4 to exit the program (assuming you're back to the main screen).
(4) Use the mouse to click the OK to exit button. This is hit and miss, since you can't actually see the buttons. But I find if I start clicking near the top of the middle of the screen and gradually work my way down I can hit it easily enough. The exit to Windows is quick enough to know when you get it right.

-- Enjoy!

Exact same issue GTX 460. Just never seem to be able to get off the ground with this game. :(

Top Bottom