Should XCOM Squad be included?

• Yes, yes it should

Votes: 319 59.6%
  • No, no it shouldn't.

Votes: 216 40.4%

• Total voters

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
A simple poll question (can eb merged with the other thread if necessary)

I'm curious to see how everyone actually feels about the supposed inclusion of XCOM Squad in the Brave New World EP. I presonally would prefer not to have it because I feel it's subtle but powerful in-game advertising (I looked i up, XCOM is not a real thing :lol:)

And George Washington duking it out with Patton's Landsknechts in 1500 BCE is supposed to be better??!

Were this a question in a vacuum, I would have voted No. However, that's not the question. The question is essentially, "Given that it has been included in the game, do you want it removed." And I'm not bothered at all by it so as to want it removed. It's a fun light-hearted addition that won't harm gameplay because it's so late. However, when it comes to gameplay, it serves a useful purpose. It's a rapid deployment unit that can appear wherever you need to to quickly.

So I voted Yes.

I think it should be in the game, but it should be called like Spec-Ops or something like that as opposed to XCOM squad.

It's not an advertising, it's just an innocent easter egg for the fans of both franchises. If you don't know what XCOM is you'll miss the reference but lose nothing. If you do know then you can smile and move on. I have no idea what is so offensive for Civ in this unit that you want it to be removed.

If it requires something like 2 future techs to access (Meaning being nearly a pure easter egg), then I would have no problem with it. In multiplayer I have seen some fairly late game battles go on in NQ and while no one would choose to use a GDR over a nuke, a 40 range paratrooper would definitely be used. It depends on how late its put on the tree I guess I am saying.

If you know of X-com the game and see the unit, it will remind of you of the game. Keeping a product in the mind of the potential conusmer is essential to advertising. Can't see how you couldn't consider it advertising.

I think it should be in the game, but it should be called like Spec-Ops or something like that as opposed to XCOM squad.

Yes please. I don't play any video game a part from the civ franchise, so I have no idea what's a x-com. Is this the old turn by turn alien shooter game getting a reboot?

Giant Death Robot is the same kind of easter egg as the X-Com Squad will be. And since X-Com will come as late as GDR, I have no problem with its inclusion. In fact, currently the Paratrooper is nearly useless in the late game, given its low strength and rather limited paradrop range. So I believe X-Com will serve as this near-future, rapidly deployed and fun unit.

We just need Drones now.

It's not an advertising, it's just an innocent easter egg for the fans of both franchises. If you don't know what XCOM is you'll miss the reference but lose nothing. If you do know then you can smile and move on. I have no idea what is so offensive for Civ in this unit that you want it to be removed.

Because it's deliberate advertising, it promotes the game being tribute. And I don't believe that this is anything remotely possible to being called a "easter egg' because its' not hidden.

It's a direct reference to the game, an easter is if Paratroopers would change their apperance to XCOM Squad on a certain day, that I would be fine with, because it's for one day.

I just don't undertsand how people don't see this as an direct advertising (or, hell, a promotion for the game). It promotes the game either way.

I know I sound obnoxious, and I apologize, I'm struggling with a horrible headache and I don't deal well with people who don't disagree (yay me :\ ) with me.

However, there's still the chance that the unit is a joke due to it's ridicolous 40 tile range of drop.

Not to mention I always saw GDR as the final unit that can only be defended by other GDR and is used primarily as a end-game unit.

It is advertising and I don't care. It's one unit and its so late in the game, I may never build it or run into some other civ building it unless I play past the end of a game. To me it's like one of those crossover comic books where Wolverine and Spider-Man team up. It's a deliberate nod to the idea that these two franchises exist in the same universe, and it's Firaxis's universe, not ours. There is nothing wrong with that besides being a little on the corny side.

Were this a question in a vacuum, I would have voted No. However, that's not the question. The question is essentially, "Given that it has been included in the game, do you want it removed." And I'm not bothered at all by it so as to want it removed. It's a fun light-hearted addition that won't harm gameplay because it's so late. However, when it comes to gameplay, it serves a useful purpose. It's a rapid deployment unit that can appear wherever you need to to quickly.

So I voted Yes.

Nothing to add.

So I voted Yes.
What he said. It's in, so I don't see the point of the poll. Firaxis isn't going to remove a unit from the game that they've already done art assets for just because you don't like it.

Nope. I don't want an alien hunting elite soldier squad with plasma rifles in civ. It's a lot sillier than the giant death robot. If you've played xcom, you know that these soldiers are wearing armor and weapons based on alien equipment. That's just too far out for civ.

If they wanna include XCOM the least they could do is make it somehow useful, maybe add some futuristic stuff in. Hell, a Futuristic Era wouldn't be too bad of an idea either.

Top Bottom