Allow policy savings?

Hey guys ,

So I am going to start a new game today and I noticed I never used the option
" allow policy savings"

I generaly don't use this option because I don't see it used in a lot of lets play video's on youtube so i thought it was game breaking or overpowered.

So here is my question is the option allow policy savings overpowered and has it a huge impact on the game ? Will it change my finish date?

Or is this a feature that change the gameplay a little bit

Olso what are the effects and consequences if you don't pick a social policy when it pop up.

What will happen with my culture per turn If I save the policy? will it go to the next one I don't get the mechanic

In the beginning you'll use your sp asap anyway. It helps you to not gain more sp than you want before you hit the renaissance (for getting the rationalism opener) and then again in case you actually want to fill out order or autocracy for once, before the game is over by not 'wasting' sp's (as in being forced to take what is available even though you don't really needed it).

So, it doesn't have too much influence on the game imho. However any non standard rules are lame. The promotion saving which is enabled for the HoF games has much more abuse potential and changes the gameplay a lot. Really don't like that one...

In the beginning you'll use your sp asap anyway. It helps you to not gain more sp than you want before you hit the renaissance (for getting the rationalism opener) and then again in case you actually want to fill out order or autocracy for once, before the game is over by not 'wasting' sp's (as in being forced to take what is available even though you don't really needed it).

So, it doesn't have too much influence on the game imho. However any non standard rules are lame. The promotion saving which is enabled for the HoF games has much more abuse potential and changes the gameplay a lot. Really don't like that one...

I agree with the promotion savings just wait for the instant heal promotion thats why I asked this question if this olso was broken

Personally, I think policy saving is definitely overpowered and contrary to FeiLing's opinion I find it game changing. Agreed, you can time your openers to coincide with your culture anyway, but that's a skill/task in itself and part of the game. Not needing to do this makes it way easier and often times I wished I could wait just a turn or two to have to choose. But alas, as with all things in Civ, you need to learn to live with your decisions from the past (unless you feel like reloading).

Your decisions now affect what happens in the future, for me that's one of the big challenges in this game and makes it more interesting. If I can simply save and see what happens, this game would lose a lot of flair for me (mind you it was like that pre-patches; but then I was still learning other aspects of the game so there were enough other challenges).

But by all means, if you feel like playing like this, do so. Go give it a try, it sure is fun on its own.

Personally, I think policy saving is definitely overpowered and contrary to FeiLing's opinion I find it game changing. Agreed, you can time your openers to coincide with your culture anyway, but that's a skill/task in itself and part of the game. Not needing to do this makes it way easier and often times I wished I could wait just a turn or two to have to choose. But alas, as with all things in Civ, you need to learn to live with your decisions from the past (unless you feel like reloading).

Your decisions now affect what happens in the future, for me that's one of the big challenges in this game and makes it more interesting. If I can simply save and see what happens, this game would lose a lot of flair for me (mind you it was like that pre-patches; but then I was still learning other aspects of the game so there were enough other challenges).

But by all means, if you feel like playing like this, do so. Go give it a try, it sure is fun on its own.

I was planning on using autocracy

Ok but if you don't choose a policy and wait untill let say the renaissance to open rationalisme you can't open peity, or you won't open patronage because of that
so you have a choise there..

However I do agree that the last policy of rationalisme is overpowered especially if you have policy savings on because you can time the free technologies

The only reason those options (policy and promotion saving) are options is because originally you could always save them, and then when it was realised that that wasn't good design, it was changed. But the options were left for those who still wanted them.

I guess the biggest point of policy saving is to do with entering new eras and unlocking new trees.

I guess the biggest point of policy saving is to do with entering new eras and unlocking new trees.

That's why I tend to leave it on. I find that I often end up getting a new policy a few turns before a new era that would unlock what I really want, so rather than wasting it by selecting something I don't want, I just save it for the 4 or 5 turns then use it on the newly-available policy (and one I can actually put to use).

That's why I tend to leave it on. I find that I often end up getting a new policy a few turns before a new era that would unlock what I really want, so rather than wasting it by selecting something I don't want, I just save it for the 4 or 5 turns then use it on the newly-available policy (and one I can actually put to use).

Exactly that's what it is for. But as you gradually get better, you will learn to time your culture and tech advances so that they coincide when you need them, unlocking exactly what you need. I find this a challenge of the game. I agree however, it bugs me a great deal when I miss this sweet spot by a few turns.

As I recall it, policies not being saved as standard setting was introduced along with many other changes to culture.
When the game was first released you saved up culture, not policies, so you could build many cities and save up alot of culture for hundreds of turns, then you could sell off your cities and buy your policies very cheaply.

Normally I don't use policy saving, but I think it introduce an interesting trade off. You can get a policy now, and have it's benifits for many turns, or save the policy untill you can unlock a later policy and then unlock a series of late policies.
So long term early bonus >< many late game bonusses.

Saving a policy can become an exploit because it allows the human players to save a bunch of them and bore deep into a SP tree.

It's one of the first things they patched out.

Olso can somebody tell me what happens when you don't pick a pollicy the turn it ask?( and you choose to save it)

My screen still says 0 turns before next policy?

If I choose to save the policy will my culture per turn go to the next policy and will I get a notification if I can choose a other one

It's saved and you start on your next one?

I don't know, I have policy saving turned off by default. I didn't even know it's an option to turn it back on.

You should too or you're not getting the real experience of what the game should be. And yes, it gets more difficult with it off, as it should.

It's saved and you start on your next one?

I don't know, I have policy saving turned off by default. I didn't even know it's an option to turn it back on.

You should too or you're not getting the real experience of what the game should be. And yes, it gets more difficult with it off, as it should.

What happens when you settle a city and then pick you're saved social policy

I think saved policies are earned and can't be taken away. The game do not retro adjust to take it away if you settle new cities if that is what you mean. At least that is how it worked when it was in the core game.

I think saved policies are earned and can't be taken away. The game do not retro adjust to take it away if you settle new cities if that is what you mean. At least that is how it worked when it was in the core game.

ok thanxs only thing that bugs me is that the interface doesn't update so it doesn't show you when you get you're next policy if you saved the previous one

No, if you were to spam or annex a bunch of cities without using any of your policies the costs would go up and you could loose the opportunity to select the same number of policies you'd qualified for earlier.

As far as the function goes, you just right click once and the notification never shows up again. Or at least that's the way I remember it.

As I recall it, policies not being saved as standard setting was introduced along with many other changes to culture.
When the game was first released you saved up culture, not policies, so you could build many cities and save up alot of culture for hundreds of turns, then you could sell off your cities and buy your policies very cheaply.

Normally I don't use policy saving, but I think it introduce an interesting trade off. You can get a policy now, and have it's benifits for many turns, or save the policy untill you can unlock a later policy and then unlock a series of late policies.
So long term early bonus >< many late game bonusses.

This is what I remember too. The cultural victory exploit seemed to be the biggest deal. I think they changed a lot of things because of that. The quick move to Scientific Revolution was also pretty popular.

I think you should be able to trade them for some kind of temporary happiness hit. As it is, if you want to go crazy despot in the Industrial Era you can never make it through the whole Autocracy branch.

I play with policy saving and raging barbarions turned on. It's just how I like to play the game.

certain policies are overpowered enough to make policy saving a bit powerful. the rationalism opener and research agreements being as powerful as they are pretty much make the argument for it being a bit OP. ive been in many games when i got a policy 1 or 2 turns before a tech brought me into the renaissance era. it was the difference in whether i finished the game 30-40+ turns earlier or not. if you've learned to time your RAs for Porcelain Tower and rationalism opener you can see how much of a bump it is.

if you are saving them for industrial policies they are nice but not nearly so powerful as the rationalism opener. even freedom opener is powerful but not so much as rationalism.

There use to be a policy in the left side of Freedom that made all future policy choices cost less, so people were saving policies until they could grab that one, particularly for Culture victories. So they removed policy saving, but then also changed the Freedom tree later. IMO the policy saving ban is no longer required because the early trees were buffed and Freedom weakened.

The AI cannot save policies for later turns, so neither should the player be able to. Anything that gives the human player an unfair advantage over the AI should be banned.

Top Bottom