What does 20k mean?

cometflash

Prince
I know it sounds stupid, but, what does 20K 100K means? I have seem a lot around here, but I have no idea what is it.

Moderator Action: Split from the Quick Answers thread in Civ3:GD

I know it sounds stupid, but, what does 20K 100K means? I have seem a lot around here, but I have no idea what is it.

k = 1000

20k around here means 20000 culture points in one city, 100k means 100000 culture points for the entire empire.

Reach one of them and you will win a cultural victory.

:)

20k is a single city culture win (one city has 20000 culture points)
100k is an empire culture win (vanilla/ptw your empire has 100000 culture points and your nearest rival has <50k; C3C the total depends on the mapsize and varies between 60k [tiny] to 160k [huge], but you still need twice the culture of anyone else).

@Forester I can give it a go, I suppose.

edit: curse my slow fingers.

I usually win by cultural victory, but I didn't know that. Thanks.

edit: K=1000, so what is the K stands for?

kilo is a prefix, denoting 1000.

So kilogram is 1000 grams, kilowatt is 1000 watts etc ad nauseam

When we say 20k culture points we mean 20000 culture points.

Got it?

@cometflash, the kilo prefix is latin. It is used worldwide for pretty much everything to denote 1000 of something. Particularly weights if you are trading in more, uh, questionable, substances.:lol:

edit: sorry, you already knew the weight part. I sped right right over that post. Just shoot me now.

@cometflash, the kilo prefix is latin. It is used worldwide for pretty much everything to denote 1000 of something.
Hate to be pedantic here (well, actually I don't mind :p ) but kilo comes from the Greek word khilioi, meaning of course, "thousand".

I don't think so, I never see a barbarian getting grades. But you might be able to make barbarians regulars, veterans or elite, in the editor.

About the Kilos, I got that means 1000 (I live in Brasil, and we like most of the world use metric system), what I don't get is why do you guys of English speaking use the Kilo for culture. Kilogram, is because of 1000 grams, but is not such of word as Kiloculture, not that I know off anyways.

About the Kilos, I got that means 1000 (I live in Brasil, and we like most of the world use metric system), what I don't get is why do you guys of English speaking use the Kilo for culture. Kilogram, is because of 1000 grams, but is not such of word as Kiloculture, not that I know off anyways.

Well, you are never to old to learn something new.
I always like it to unexpectedly learn something new. And I don't mind sharing the fun. :)

You can combine the prefix "kilo" with almost anything. In fact, you can do the same with "milli" "deca" "exa" "giga"

look here: SI prefix

I quote from this article: (emphasis is mine)
Wikipedia said:
SI prefixes are internationally recognized and may also be used in combination with non-SI units

"kiloculture" is therefore perfectly viable.

And when you're talking about computer memory, K is not 1000 but 1024 (2 to the power of 10).....this is where "K" started. (Excepting the cereal Kellogg's Special K.) :)

For Brazilians etc, K generally has nothing to do with Kilos, it is just an abbreviation for "000" or ",000". :)

In English people use Kilo as a generic term for thousand. For example, I might that I make a salary of thirty thousand dollars per year (it would NOT be true; this is just an example). Alternately, I could say that I gross 30K. The dollars are implicit just like the culture.

A lot of discussion over not much here. ;) Kilo is not a unit of weight, Kilogram is. As many have said, kilo is a simple prefix.

And a K in computing speak is a misnomer brought about by the nature of binary numbers.

A quick answer for you there. :D

A lot of discussion over not much here. ;) Kilo is not a unit of weight.

In my country it is, we only use kilogram(which we write with QU, as we do not have K,Y or W onto our vocabulary) when in school, but if we ask someones weight, we would ask how many Kilos, and never ask how many kilograms they weight. So Kilo(or Quilo), is a mesure of weight in my country.

In my country it is, we only use kilogram(which we write with QU, as we do not have K,Y or W onto our vocabulary) when in school, but if we ask someones weight, we would ask how many Kilos, and never ask how many kilograms they weight. So Kilo(or Quilo), is a mesure of weight in my country.

I think you are mistaking,
In my country, we often say "kilo" as well, when we mean "kilograms." Kilograms would be more correct, but in informal talk, almost never used.

I'm pretty sure its the same in your culture.

A form of linguistic laziness, something that happens in many languages.

You got it MAS, I did say that I got that Kilo means 1000, but before I say that I comment Kilo being a weight, which I was thinking the way we talk (my bad).

So even know is not the correct way, Kilo can also mean weight measure in our culture.

I was just trying to make something, clear but I guess it got more confused, probable because usually people take one comment, and not from the beginning. But I'm easily miss understood here, for my lack in the English language.

Hate to be pedantic here (well, actually I don't mind :p ) but kilo comes from the Greek word khilioi, meaning of course, "thousand".

Right you are. Scientific fields use both latin and greek. I can never keep them straight. I can now officially cite a case where Navajo is used. It just keeps getting more complicated.:crazyeye:

Top Bottom