An Island Race

Last SP game I played I won diplomatic by basically focusing on gold and then buying off the city states. Had a couple of downfalls in earlier attempts at any type of victory other than conquest since I'd somewhat ignore my military and try to be friendly. Militaristic city states are worthless and we can swallow them up if we need their resources.

Turn 96 - 475BC
Send Settler South
Meet Edinburough
Find Island with 2 ruins up in NE

IBT - Japan asks for Pact of Cooperation. Sure, why not
Great wall BIFAL

Turn 97 - 450BC
Tremies Exploring
Meet Almaty - they have pearls
Find Krakatoa

Turn 98 - 425BC
Harun Al-Rashid enters medieval times
Dyes hooked up - Venice back to ally status
Iron is in!!!
No Bottleneck here!!!!
14 within reach of our capital and soon to be founded. 1 ea. at 6 and 4 ea. at 2.

Meet Warsaw
Nottingham Founded at 1W site. Keep warrior on forest to fog bust SE point
Nottingham builds a monument

Turn 99 - 400BC
Brussels wants Almaty Destroyed
York sinks barb boat

Turn 100 - 375BC
We are the 2nd poorest nation :(

Meet helsinki

IBT - Both Montezuma and Japan ask for research agreements. Tell each no thanks, we have too many cheap techs open in order to waste the 200 & 250 :commerce:

Turn 101 - 350BC
Archery is in -> Compass due in 18 turns
York builds spear -> archer
Nottingham grows to size 2

IBT - Ramses asks for research agreement - no thanks.

Turn 102 - 325BC
Exploring

Turn 103 - 300BC
Deals with Askia end
Exploring

Turn 104 - 275BC
Exploring

IBT - Japan declares war on Oslo

Turn 105 - 250BC
Exploring
Lots of ruins around map. Need to send a unit to pop them.
Warrior moves onto island West of us to explore the 2 ruins there.

View attachment 105IslandRace250BC_converted.Civ5Save

Well, Diplomacy seems an interesting choice, although it's really easy to win this way with CSs. Maybe we should try something more challenging - like True Diplomacy. For instance, we should liberate conquered Civs, go for PoC and Defensive Pacts, try to prevent wars by pledging to protect some CSs, form some global alliances.

I know that in-game diplomacy is pretty much dead, but let's try to animate it. %)

Good turn, by the way. I think we should send a scout to grab all these ruins asap.

Got it! Let me take a look and I'll post more.

ATM- Trades:
Monty 850:gold:+OB -> whales, dyes, cotton
Caesar 500:gold:+spice -> OB, whale, dyes
Oda 300:gold:+OB+silver -> OB, whale, dyes
Ramasses 600:gold: -> whale, dyes

So we have some opportunities to get some huge gold with trades. Still need to send the warrior to scout the SE island and start settling it.

Iron Ahoy!

Nice set.

We're swimming in happyness right now so feel free to trade some of our resourses.

Maybe we should consider liberating Oslo once we get our military in line (assuming Japan conquers it) as this would be a good start to our Diplo attempt.

I'd be happy to try to be more "diplomatic" than just spending gold on CSs.

Will peak at the save later.

I'm not at home but I understand the game has been patched and those with the digital deluxe edition can't open prior saves. Hopefully this doesn't break this SG for me.

Sweet set! :salute:

Let's get one more settler out on the home island to grab more iron and the deer and another whale.

Agree with grabbing the ruins if we can move fast enough.

@ GD - just made it to McCarran. Legion hates me. I have a house. Focusing on guns, repair, lockpick and science. Approaching lvl 12

I'm not at home but I understand the game has been patched and those with the digital deluxe edition can't open prior saves. Hopefully this doesn't break this SG for me.

Should be ok. While my original save freezes the patched game the converted one opens just fine. I wonder if conversion is over now?

@ Admiral. I decided to not wait till pay day and ordered it last night! How is the new companion interaction method? Thinking I might consentrate on Melee and Guns.

So what do we reckon will happen when the DLC is released? I plan on downloading both Babylon (assume shouldn't clash with deluxe) and Mongolia. I really hope it doesn't break the game again.

So what do we reckon will happen when the DLC is released? I plan on downloading both Babylon (assume shouldn't clash with deluxe) and Mongolia. I really hope it doesn't break the game again.
Arathorn seems to be having all sorts of issues with this in his SG.

OT - Companion wheel is much better. Delphi's Driver (a golf club) is a great weapon.

Grrrrr. How have Firaxis messed the saves up so much? Did they not swap saves during development?

I guess we'll just have to find a work around if problems do crop up with DLC as I don't want to restrict people in their personal choices.

Iron Ahoy!

Nice set.

We're swimming in happyness right now so feel free to trade some of our resourses.

Maybe we should consider liberating Oslo once we get our military in line (assuming Japan conquers it) as this would be a good start to our Diplo attempt.

I'd be happy to try to be more "diplomatic" than just spending gold on CSs.

Will peak at the save later.
We need to figure out which AI we want as Friends, trades will be no problem.

Sweet set! :salute:

Let's get one more settler out on the home island to grab more iron and the deer and another whale.

Already got deer/iron site.

Agree with grabbing the ruins if we can move fast enough.

:agree: with that too, would sending a scout get better results?

Not sure scouts have any affect on rewards popped as they are only positive anyway.

CS friends should be IMO:

Tier 1 - Friendly Maritime, Friendly Culture
Tier 2 - Neutral Maritime, Neutral Cultural
Tier 3 - All other CSs

AIs. NOT Oda. He's already attacking CSs.

I guess Egypt, Arabia might make good friends.

On the next potential city site there is the Furs on the island to our SW. This is a bit of a pony site as its all now and tundra. Is some fish though.

Also there is the Marble island to our east which is a bit food poor but would be good for production site with Maritime CSs.

A scout doesn't get better results from ruins so it's only advantage would be speed through rough terrain. Since our "ruins buster" will spend most of it's time embarked a warrior (or spear) would be the best bet as it would be better equipped to handle potential barbs. There is already a warrior on the island to our W to explore the 2 ruins there. We should probably keep a tremie close by to cover him as he moves from island to island. We ought to be able to get most of the ruins, I don't think the AI puts much of a priority on seeking them out. We'd only lose ones that the AI settles next to.

IHT-
Send our warrior to scout the SE island
Having plenty of :) I start selling
Trade with Caesar
Spoiler :

Trade with Monty
Spoiler :

I don't like the idea of give :gold:gpt for extra :gold:
Sent spear to scout horses to the Nort
Purchase a scout, settler & worker

Turn 107-
get a map from village on West island
find barb camp on horse island
Askia completed Oracle

Turn 108-
cleared barb encampment for 25:gold:
London worker>trieme
workers mining 2x iron, cattle

Turn 109-
warrior on SE island is lost
found another ruins to the far W

Turn 110-
Nottingham monument>archer
Traded Caesar OB>52:gold: scouting his land

Turn 114-
Founded Hasting on 2x horse, buy fish tile, start monument

Turn 116-
Meet Cathrine (missed screen)
Get a demand
Spoiler :

London trieme>sword

Turn 117-
York archer>harbor
Compass > Wheel queued

Lots of time watching the AIs bombard barb triemes! Could've played better, we're -4:mad: until our deals are canceled in 13 turns. I queued The Wheel to connect our cities, sure harbors work great but take a while. Not sure on the tech path, we CAN ADOPT COMMERCE civic and the 2 sublevels on the left for faster ships and 25%:hammers: in coastal cities!

Attachments

• Elizabeth_0118 AD-0075.Civ5Save
    596.5 KB · Views: 85
Yes to SPs. As cripp7 says follow the lefthand path of commerce.

Can we try to keep sets ending on multiples of 5 please? I find it very hard to deal with other numbers :shifty: :lol:

Looks like Askia is getting abit shirty. Our Ships of the Line will teach him a lesson.

Will look at the save and comment more later.

So I now have the new DLC. Don't know if everyone has it so here is a save to see if we're about to have problems.

Let me know if it opens ok.

Attachments

• Elizabeth_0118 AD-0075postDLC.Civ5Save
    596.5 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom