Canada - The True North, Strong and Free (v2)

mabelair

Chieftain
Hi there!

Find attached (and available in the mod browser) my first attempt at a civilization, Canada. This currently comprises a unique leader (Sir John A. MacDonald), a new trait (Trade Surplus, +2 gold for every strategic resource) and two unique units.

Canada's unique units are the Avro Arrow, a replacement for the Fighter, and the Peacekeeper, a replacement for the Paratrooper (thanks to Snake_Eyes for the suggestions).

Screenshots:
Spoiler :

Known issues and notes-to-self:
Spoiler :
* Icon borders look weird, with the transparencies in the DDS not functioning properly.
* Terrible transition from Sir John A's picture to the Map of the Dominion of Canada in the Dawn of Man image.
* I originally wanted Trade Surplus to provide +1 gold for ALL resources, but so far haven't figured out how this goes, so instead it's +2 for Strategic Resources. If I can figure that out later, I'll change it.
* Unit icons don't appear properly in the build menu.
* Avro Arrow is meant to replace Fighter and also prevent deployment of Jet Fighters (it is slightly weaker than the latter, but is slightly less expensive and available earlier), however, I am currently unable to disable Jet Fighters (help!)
* Elizabeth is still the default leader animation (because I'm useless in that domain!). Convenient, though, right?
* German translation of text to be inserted in next version.

Change Log:
Spoiler :
V3 (Published October 3, 2010):
* Avro Arrow now appears as an Industrial Era unit and has the appropriate tech prereq (Flight).
* Avro Arrow now has the standard Fighter promotions.
* Peacekeeper unit pedia text key description now properly indicates it is a modern-era unit.
* Leader Map now displays a public domain map of Canada circa 1898.
* Leader, Civ and Unit text is now properly attributed.
* "Canadian Empire" renamed to the "Dominion of Canada"
V2 (Published: October 2, 2010):
* Added Peacekeeper and Avro Arrow as unique units.
* First fully functional (albeit buggy) build.
V1 (Published: October 1, 2010):
* First version included Leader (MacDonald), Civ Icon, Civ and Leader Pedia Entries.

Of course, a huge thanks goes out to Kael for his amazing Modders' Guide to Civ V, without which I couldn't have done this.

Finally, your help in playtesting is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to post bugs/complaints/compliments here in the thread.

Thanks in advance for your time and comments!

Attachments

• Dawn_of_Man.jpg
    Dawn_of_Man.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 29,028
  • Canada_Pedia.jpg
    Canada_Pedia.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 29,193
  • MacDonald_Pedia.jpg
    MacDonald_Pedia.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 28,447
  • Peacekeeper_Pedia.jpg
    Peacekeeper_Pedia.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 28,798
  • Avro_Arrow_Pedia.jpg
    Avro_Arrow_Pedia.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 28,327
  • Canada - The True North, Strong and Free (v 3).zip
    602.3 KB · Views: 3,450
Great work! I've been hoping for a good civ for this game. :goodjob:

Could it be possible to redesign the Paratrooper as the Peacekeeper Unit? Also, could an alternative UU to the Jet Fighter when we get to make our own units be The Avro Arrow. :D

Could it be possible to redesign the Paratrooper as the Peacekeeper Unit? Also, could an alternative UU to the Jet Fighter when we get to make our own units be The Avro Arrow. :D

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm happy to redesign both (given that I haven't left the drawing board with either idea yet!), but I'd be curious as to why you might suggest the paratropper instead of infantry as the replaced unit for the Peacekeeper?

I had agonized over whether to include the Arrow as a UU as soon as I started thinking about them... My only issue was that they never really had a chance to prove themselves in combat, heck, they never really rolled off the production line. Also, like you, I had really thought about them replacing the jet fighter, but I thought, that's already pretty late in the game.

However, while in the shower this morning (the source of most of my "great" [read: less dubious] thinking), I thought that maybe the Arrow could replace the fighter (at flight) and serve as the fighter/interceptor right through to the future age (meaning it also replaces the jet fighter). This would mean that the UU gives the benefit of the jet fighter earlier, without necessarily losing the UU shortly after the discovery of lasers. In theory, had the Avro been deployed, it would have been about 10-15 years ahead of the rest of the world, so this could be plausible.

Thoughts?

All right, made a whole bunch of changes and additions, and this civilization now contains everything you'd need to be playable. There are a bunch of oddities (icons look wierd) which I have no idea how to fix, but if you know how to squash bugs, I'd really appreciate your assistance! Check the known issues.

Thanks again for all your help, in advance (how presumptuous!).

Great job I'll try it out! Oh and one thing, Canadian Empire is quite funny to me, what about Dominion of Canada

Great job I'll try it out! Oh and one thing, Canadian Empire is quite funny to me, what about Dominion of Canada

:) I hadn't even noticed that; good catch. Dominion of Canada would definitely be appropriate. Thanks, I've added it to the known issues (as a note to myself mainly).

The peacekeeper one shouldn't be available until the modern age since Canadians didn't peacekeep in WW2 as they used regular infantry like British.

The peacekeeper one shouldn't be available until the modern age since Canadians didn't peacekeep in WW2 as they used regular infantry like British.

That's a good observation. However, Peacekeepers (and by virtue of that Paratroopers) are unlocked with the Radar tech, which is a modern-era technology. That being said, I just noticed that the description says it's industrial era. Whoops! Added to the Known Issues and notes-to-self.

Lol Avro Arrow in the Ancient Era can kick some serious ass. And good for you for using the UN Peacekeeping force and not the overused RCMP/GRC.... lol

Hi, I'm back!

I just downloaded the Canadian Civilization MOD you put up on The Exchange and even though there are issues that can be worked out. I have to say, it's off to a great start. One thing I recognized off the bat is that you emphasized Canada as a peaceful force in the World (Which it is). The whole idea of peacetime development seems better than going to war every 10 years over oil.

I noticed you mentioned me in the credits for your MOD, Thanks, This is probably the first time one of my ideas have impacted someone's project in the Civ Community positively. :goodjob:

Version 3 is now available here and on the Mod Browser!

Lol Avro Arrow in the Ancient Era can kick some serious ass. And good for you for using the UN Peacekeeping force and not the overused RCMP/GRC.... lol

Yeah, as soon as I noticed that you could build the Arrow right from the ancient era? I know I'd messed something up really badly. Oddly enough, the thought of using the RCMP never even crossed my mind!

*snip* I have to say, it's off to a great start. One thing I recognized off the bat is that you emphasized Canada as a peaceful force in the World (Which it is). The whole idea of peacetime development seems better than going to war every 10 years over oil.

I noticed you mentioned me in the credits for your MOD, Thanks, This is probably the first time one of my ideas have impacted someone's project in the Civ Community positively. :goodjob:

Firstly, credit given where credit is due. You really helped me refine the idea behind the unique units. When I went about choosing how to describe the civ and its units, etc., I opted to focus on the Canadian Mythos, rather than the Canadian Reality, per se. For example, although we're often portrayed as a nation of peacekeepers, it's a bit of a misnomer because of our involvement in a number of non-peacekeeping conflicts. That being said though, I'm not trying to make a political statement (consciously or unconciously), just that this is how Canada likes to portray itself to the world: A technologically advanced trading nation of peacekeepers.

Concerning the icon border problem of the dds: Did you save the dds in high quality? I had the same problems with my denmark mod, but then I figured out that the problem is the format (or whatever its called) of the dds. With interlaced alpha etc. it looks much smoother and better overall.

Excellent mod. If I were making Canada, I'd have them gain bonuses for accepting to war with others, considering they have been in just as many terrible wars, but for some reason don't get the "stain" of them since they aren't primary.

So having them gain advantages like not losing happiness if someone else asks you into war, would be very civ specific in my mind.

Concerning the icon border problem of the dds: Did you save the dds in high quality? I had the same problems with my denmark mod, but then I figured out that the problem is the format (or whatever its called) of the dds. With interlaced alpha etc. it looks much smoother and better overall.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. What specific settings did you use?

Just a thought: Keeping with the feel of the unit's name, perhaps the Peacekeeper should receive a steeper defensive bonus in foreign lands, but no offensive one.

Maybe I should add some Dief the Chief. But then I'd have to cancel the Arrow. And you'd get nothing in return except a bad CBC special... Hmmmmmm.... Rebrand the broadcast tower as "Bad CBC special". Voila!

Top Bottom