Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

And yet other, perhaps worth a thread: I understand that there really are some viruses for Linux, albeit most of them do not roam in the net. Is it an actual possibility to catch one of them? Should a Linux user do something as a precaution?

There are virtually no Linux viruses found in the wild. For safety, use a firewall, and possibly run a rootkit checker periodically. Make sure you stay fully patched. And, just like any other OS, don't get suckered into running something you shouldn't. E.g., looking at a dirty picture shouldn't require root/execute permissions.

Question: do any websites' banner ads run by targeted advertising by checking your cookies/browser history/favorites to get an idea of recent internet content that you've visited?

Would that be illegal (e.g. privacy violation) if they did that without some kind of EULA agreement?

Question: do any websites' banner ads run by targeted advertising by checking your cookies/browser history/favorites to get an idea of recent internet content that you've visited?

Probably, because of the answer to your next question.

Would that be illegal (e.g. privacy violation) if they did that without some kind of EULA agreement?

Probably not, privacy laws are pretty sucky, and poorly enforced if they do exist.

Just wondering because I'm suspicious of the Civfanatics advertising bar on the top of the screen. It seems to be using some kind of tracking cookie.

If you click on one link to another site, the other site can pick up your referrer data unless there's a nofollow. A lot of blogs force nofollow in comments because sometimes spammers will post and hapless people will click and spammers see "oooh, a response!" and spam that blog more.

Is it customary for administrators of different systems to have their passwords written down somewhere (just in case of death or serious injury)? I'd guess in bigger systems there are many people with equal rights, and there's no need for that, but if you think about some business big enough to employ one guy to handle all the computer business. Is it professional thing to hand the business owner your password?

I'm not asking this for any practical reason, just wondering.

It would make sense. That doesn't mean it's done. The business owner may not be computer savvy enough to understand the need.

Anyone made the switch to a mechanical keyboard?

I've been using a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard for about 3 straight years, and I'm thinking about going for a mechanical keyboard to reduce finger strain while typing. Anyone actually made the switch think that it's really worth the (US) price increase? I can get the same exact keyboard I have for $50 or spend another $25 for a mechanical keys model. Of course some keyboards are just ridiculously priced at $100-$125.

For instance a Razor "Black Widow" ($75) vs. an Eclipse II / Eclipse III ($50/$60)?

This guide kind of explains the issue:
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

I paid $15 for my current keyboard, and I have to admit it looks strange to me that people talking about whether to buy a $50 or $75 keyboard.

I'm also skeptical of more expensive keyboards, having paid $10 for my current one and being happy with it. But, it may be that if I bought a more expensive one, I'd quickly get used to it.

The 5670 isn't bad, but it's not top-of-the-line,either. Fairly average these days I'd say. That said, fairly average today is still pretty good in terms of what it can do. You'd probably have a hard time finding tasks it couldn't do well.

That looks ... rather uncomfortable.

I was kind of wondering about the value of this one:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

They claim to be the closet thing to a Model M IBM keyboard. Is that what is meant by the "cherry brown" activation---or does "cherry brown" refer to the Commodore 64 keyboards?

I'm also skeptical of more expensive keyboards, having paid $10 for my current one and being happy with it. But, it may be that if I bought a more expensive one, I'd quickly get used to it.

The 5670 isn't bad, but it's not top-of-the-line,either. Fairly average these days I'd say. That said, fairly average today is still pretty good in terms of what it can do. You'd probably have a hard time finding tasks it couldn't do well.

I went for my Eclipse because it was reviewed as having softer keys and recommended for writers and other people who like to type fast, effortlessly (I did find it useful for writing school assignments). As a gamer I like the Eclipse because it has an LED backlight for the keys, which is also good because my desk has a keyboard drawer which is pretty dark. The problem with the is that it's still basically the same rubber dome activation-behind-the-key that cheaper keyboards use, which get worn a bit so more finger pressure is needed per key. 3 years later and the keys stick a bit.

The mechanical keys are supposed to reduce the amount of pressure needed to activate a key and also reduce the number of miskeys.

I was kind of wondering about the value of this one:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

They claim to be the closet thing to a Model M IBM keyboard. Is that what is meant by the "cherry brown" activation---or does "cherry brown" refer to the Commodore 64 keyboards?

The Model M is overrated, modern mechanical key switches are better than the buckling springs the model M used.

The Das Keyboard is good, depending on the price.

Cherry Brown refers to the type of mechanical key switch, Cherry makes a bunch of different ones, and labels them by colour (brown, blue, black, red, white, etc.) So the Das Keyboard has the same keys as the Kinesis, the Blackwidow Stealth, among others.

The mechanical keys are supposed to reduce the amount of pressure needed to activate a key and also reduce the number of miskeys.

Depends on the switch, some mechanical switches require a lot of pressure. Cherry brows require the least pressure among pure mechanical switches, and Topre hybrid capacitive switches are similar.

It is exceptionally more comfortable than non-split keyboards.

Perhaps if you type the standard way and not like I do.

Are there any active online forums dedicated to sci-fi worldbuilding, where I could ask questions about creating plausible worlds and systems, and get answers in a timely manner, as well as share the worlds I've created?

Top Bottom