Tips for Tokugawa?

henyo10

Warlord
Tokugawa for me is the hardest leader to use because of his traits but I really want to use him on Monarch. Any tips on how I can utilize this maniac?

Tokugawa for me is the hardest leader to use because of his traits but I really want to use him on Monarch. Any tips on how I can utilize this maniac?

Lots and lots of REX and as fast as possible. Of course, don't bottom out your economy completely, but REX like mad. Put your PRO CGII/Drill I archers in your outer cities. If you have copper (hopefully you do) put your Combat I / Shock axemen and some Combat I/II spears in the outer cities as well.

Then focus on your economy big time. Lay down cottages everywhere you can. Set up a GP farm for when Caste System becomes available and keep sending a few troops to your outer cities.

This is all, of course, assuming you're not smooshed up against other civs right from the start.

I never play as Toku, but it seems the only way to use his strengths is to war and then defend what you take. None of his traits will give you an economic edge, you will have to take it by force.

I would rather REX and take advantage of the PRO trait to defend my REXing. Even the AGG trait has its place in defending your cities. The combat 1 allows you to access Shock promo right off the bat and Medic 1 as well.

IMO, you should save the aggressive warring until you have a fully functional economy and well defended cities. I think the #1 problem the AI has with Toku is that he turtles up and declares war too often without a decent economy. After you have REXed and protected a lot of land, you can start your aggressive warring with Cannons/Rifles/Gren

There are 2 paths to take with Toku.

1. Luck out with a close metal source and a close AI. Axe rush keeping only the best citys. Make sure not to over expand. Tech to Samurai. Dominate.

2. If you have space just Tech peacefully to Samurai, then Dominate.

Toku Teching? You should go CE. He can get early Pottery. I strongly recommend cottaging the capital. You can then switch to Bureaucracy for a big boost which times nicely with Samurai expansion. Don't meander with you're teching. Just go for the samurai. (After worker/econ techs of course)

Toku Expansion? Toku's golden rule is Dont Crash the Economy. This is because he has nothing to help him get out of a crash except possibly a pillage/razing war. Only build the best city's. Make sure they are profitable. With Toku you need to be stingy. Until Samurai you need to be a calculating penny pusher. You will expand slowly and probably have less citys then the AI. This is fine, japan doesn't need a big empire to conquer.

On Samurai. They should destroy everything in their era. A good trick is to build Swordsmen and then upgrade them the turn you get Samurai and rush. If you can get 1 GreatMerch and trade mission him that would give you enough gold for 10+ upgrades. You should catch the AI before they have maces, and maybe even X-bows.

Post gunpowder Drafting is you're friend.

Samurai are great, so if make medieval you have some security. In fact, a turtle or aggressive can be used with Tokugawa. The super gunpowder units make attacks on you have less success. Samurai promoted correctly have a long life span so try what you need to go for anything.

Tokugawa will shine if you can get him to Gunpowder in a decent position. An early rush or medieval Samurai war is a good way to grab some land while you're teching your way to Gunpowder; once there, you can be easily drafting Muskets and Rifles with 4 promotions out of the gate. From there, draft en masse and crush all who dare to oppose you. Or just whoever happens to be there, whatever. :crazyeye:

Get a bunch of Samurai and attack your neighbor
worked for me

Oddly I've read this thread a lot as it comes up all the time when searching for playing as Toku.

I've been playing as Hannibal of Japan, straight to Pottery and then cottaging the capital with the Fin trait was fun :thumbsup:

Top Bottom