The Sword of Islam 0.4.0 Discussion

embryodead

Caliph
The Sword of Islam 0.4.0

Version 0.5 has been released, please continue in this thread.

Please discuss the new version here. The main focus of this release is the new Religious Victory proposed by Tigranes: Unique Religious Victory goals & Relic hunt. There are also many bugfixes, tweaks, graphics & sound updates.

Note: there's no way around the mixed HoF results (i.e. pre-0.3 Historical Victory showing up as Religious now) other than deleting HoF (My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Replays - only those from SoI)

Screenshots

Plans for 0.4.1:
- fix possible bugs and balance Religious Victory
- add Bakuel's Indian units
- enable playable Parmars (Malwa)
- finish the C++ code overhaul

0.4.0 Release notes:

Religious Victory
- Added Unique Religious Victory conditions for each of the five major religions (Tigranes)
- Added 12 unique relics for Islam and Christianity
- Added the possibility of destroyed relics to reappear later in an independent or rebel city
- Added the option to trade Relic units through Diplomacy
- Added new functionality to the Missionary: it can now remove relics from cities to move them elsewhere (this consumes the Missionary)

General changes
- Added Kallipolis; removed Samsounta
- Added some extra starting units for the Ottomans
- Added a new effect to Ottoman UP: No Anger from the Draft
- Added dynamic balance to some respawned civs (Cilicia, Cyprus and Uzbeks should do slightly better)
- Adjusted final score calculations, especially for those conditions that require more time & effort
- Decreased research costs of a number of mid- and late-game techs
- Added balancing modifier for Espionage Mission cost; later civs pay less (this puts Espionage in line with other Commerces)
- Changed National Wonders so that they are no longer flipped during civ birth / respawn
- Changed the AI to ignore rebel & barbarian cities when using spies
- Changed spies to escape to a random nearby city rather than the capital (ALN/DuneWars)
- Increased the cargo space of all naval units for better AI performance
- Removed the non-working Oceanfaring promotion and added +1 Moves to all affected units
- Added Camel resource (+1 Health, required for Yemeni UU); artwork by Stolenrays
- Changed Pig resource to be obsolete for Islamic civs
- Changed the keyboard shortcut for Toggling Stability Overlay from CTRL-U to CTRL-K to fix overlapping with Unit Debug Screen
- Moved the mod Concepts to the first section of Civilopedia

Bugfixes
- Fixed a bug that caused RFC balancing for city growth not apply to human players - early civs are now more difficult
- Fixed the Victory Screen issues with Ghaznavids and Timurids
- Fixed the Abbasid Unique Power tooltip display in City Screen
- Fixed the pirate Dhows getting stuck in the Indian Ocean
- Fixed the rare Python exception caused by a failed Buyid spawn

Graphics & sound
- Added new unit art for Islamic relics
- Updated Latin Axeman, Italian Infantry and Mamluk Swordsman unit art
- Added new leaderhead art for Qutbuddin Aibak
- Added shaders to Al-Hadi Yahya leaderhead
- Added animation to Furs (leopards) resource
- Added a variety of marsh graphics
- Added new diplomacy music tracks for Zengids, Mamluks, Khwarezmids, Ak Koyunlu, Yemen and Safavids
- Added five new songs to the soundtrack
- Added elephant selection sounds
- Changed the Artstyle for Nubian villages
- Changed the Minimap so that it no longer shows borders on water

Code overhaul
- Enums moved to CvEnums.h (Leoreth)
- Code clean-up (Persecution, Enums, Asserts)
- MAX_COM_SHRINE moved to GlobalDefinesAlt.xml
- Most DLL data from CvRhyes.cpp is now initialized in DataLoader.py and handled dynamically as a part of CvPlayer, CvPlot & CvGame classes

The Sword of Islam 0.4.0

- Added the option to trade Relic units through Diplomacy

I know that AI values Relics on 100 gold base value. I got a True Cross as Armenia and checked around if anyone wants it. Byzantium had 170 gold available for the trade but said -- Sorry we are not willing to trade for this. I wonder why... Not even for 50 gold? We were friendly by the way...

P.S. Can we use SVN 215 as v. 0.4.0? Or I should download it from the scratch?

I know that AI values Relics on 100 gold base value. I got a True Cross as Armenia and checked around if anyone wants it. Byzantium had 170 gold available for the trade but said -- Sorry we are not willing to trade for this. I wonder why... Not even for 50 gold? We were friendly by the way...

No player will sell relics that are needed by his religion, unless he's forced to (war, vassal). This should probably apply to AI only, but due to technical issues it applies to anyone.

Is it really 100, not 500?

P.S. Can we use SVN 215 as v. 0.4.0? Or I should download it from the scratch?

If you're using SVN, you don't need to download anything.

Bugfixes
- Fixed a bug that caused RFC balancing for city growth not apply to human players - early civs are now more difficult

Hmm, I wouldn't have said that Byzantines were particularly easy in the first place - what exactly is this newly enabled city balancing going to be doing?

I'll play Byzantines first up and see how things work out.

Hmm, I wouldn't have said that Byzantines were particularly easy in the first place - what exactly is this newly enabled city balancing going to be doing?

I'll play Byzantines first up and see how things work out.

Well, as you know every civ in RFC receives bonuses/penalties to production, growth, research, maintenance, inflation and so on, depending on their start date and game balance. The bug simply caused the city growth modifier to apply only to the AI. In case of Byzantines, compared to the AI, human cities were growing 50% faster, and that is no longer the case.

Does 2/3 URV conditions trigger anything in the way that 2/3 UHV does?

No they don't. They could possibly trigger GA but if they do, it should be only once (i.e. if you get GA from URV, then you can't get another from UHV).

What is the deal with Rebel Spearman reappearing on the Copper hill near Makurian capital again and again? Is it suppose to signify some historical event?

The installer has been taken offline, and will be back in about 6 hours. The few people that downloaded it will have to re-download it as 0.4.0.1. As usual, I really critical bug went through, allowing anyone to steal any tech at no cost :(

What is the deal with Rebel Spearman reappearing on the Copper hill near Makurian capital again and again? Is it suppose to signify some historical event?

Nope, there's nothing like this scripted. I guess he just likes copper.

I don't suppose the KoJ UHV which requires a trip down to Yemen can finally be changed to something less ahistorical and fun - like relic hunting?

Download is back up, sorry for the inconvenience. If you downloaded it on Dec 25 and VersionHistory.txt says 0.4.0 not 0.4.0.1, download it again please.

I don't suppose the KoJ UHV which requires a trip down to Yemen can finally be changed to something less ahistorical and fun - like relic hunting?

Did you ever try more historical trip to Constantinople (2 silks)? :) I usually get my spices from India, though, via trade.

Did you ever try more historical trip to Constantinople (2 silks)? :) I usually get my spices from India, though, via trade.

Mhm, well yes, but what I find with KoJ is that you're forced into a very set time frame that essentially sucks up resources - heaven help you if you plan to invade Constantinople by land on Caliph, so you probably need to summon a fleet in between fighting off at least three Muslim armies, and nevermind the raiders from the desert.

I've never been able to trade with India successfully, what with all the general hatred in the way and loss of contact, plus that wonder.

With a more religious goal in mind, it would still be very hard, but give one some flexibility. Also, it would sorta link in with my other idea..namely, considering non-muslims aren't even allowed into Mecca, why is their no massive Muslim nation uproar when you own the two holy cities. o.o

Is it possible for Relic-Buildings in cities to benefit from World Wonders such as Spiral Minaret and Al-Azhar in the way that the old Reliquaries used to and the way that Hagia Sofia still does?

What do you think about ability to grant independent to any city we want at anytime whenever we wish? Or based on province?
Also, why Luxor is not in the preplaced city list?

I know. My concern is why that city is not preplaced..

Others than that,
1) Would you please make Timurid spawn conditional? It annoys me since I passed the Mongol Invasion... [I'm Khwarezmid]
2) I have entered the Mongol Invasion Era era in early 1100 and enter the Gunpowder Empire Era era few turns before Mongol Invasion begin. I just took Black Powder which lead me to Flint?lock (CMIIW) and able to train Arquebusier approximately 250-300 year earlier :)
3) I'm not sure but I think the Mongol Invasion in 0.4.0 is a bit weaker (or AI is stronger) than the 0.3.5 one..?
4) And perhaps make Mughal spawn conditional too, if and only if Hindoustan failed to thwart Mongol away?
5) What do you think about changing the pre-requisite to build Tomb of Khalid ibn-Walid? It's just strange that he died in around 600-700s but the earliest time I've ever seen it build is around 1000...

I know. My concern is why that city is not preplaced..

The city seems to have been of awfully little importance during the Islamic age, is it really that necessary to preplace? It usually gets founded by someone by the time the Mamluks spawn anyway.

1) Would you please make Timurid spawn conditional? It annoys me since I passed the Mongol Invasion... [I'm Khwarezmid]

4) And perhaps make Mughal spawn conditional too, if and only if Hindoustan failed to thwart Mongol away?

How do you measure a "failed" invasion though? Especially in Hindustan where there are multiple civs around? Making Ottomans conditional on a Rum collapse makes sense as that was what led to the formation of the Ottoman Beylik. If there is a stable SoR, there is no reason for needing an Ottoman Empire. Timurids/Mughals are "invading" dynasties like the Fatimids, Ayyubids, Seljuks, Rum, KoJ and PoA. Asking for those two to be conditional means you would be looking at making Seljuks, Rum, Zengids (and presumably Ayyubids) all conditional on "successful" Seljuk invasions.

Top Bottom