End of CivWorld

Circuit

Writing Letters
This just posted by the Civilization World fan page on Facebook:

Civilization World said:
Rulers of great civilizations, repent! The world is coming to an end! CivWorld will shortly cease operations and flow into the ethers, forever a fond memory of great triumphs. The last day for players to get more CivBucks using Facebook Credits will be April 2nd, 2013. The last day Civ World will be accessible is May 29th, 2013. We thank you for the time you spent with CivWorld, and beseech you to stay civilized on the other side.

Seems CivWorld is going with the trend of many other Facebook games. Zynga has been making cuts to its games as well. I've never played CivWorld, but I hate to see this happen to a Civilization title, even if it's an offshoot.

Moderator Action: Source

I won't be sad about this. To me, the game was absolutely terrible and had nothing at all to do with the game we know as civilization.
I am not surprised it ended up this way.

Yeah the game is finally coming to an end:rolleyes:. Glad that I didn't spend anything on civbucks :):lol:

Farewell to Sid's vanity project.

Had it not diverted much needed resources from the development of Civ 5, I might be a little bit sad.

But worry not, as we speak, Sid has plans to divert funds from Civ 6 for his iOS vanity project.

Yay! Death to all mobile / social network games (aka games with all strategy, story, or any thinking removed). People thinking games like this are games is hurting the industry.

Facebook games are fine.

Facebook pastimes and other fluff which pose as games, which siphon resources away from proper Civ are beyond the pale and beneath contempt.

Sid should be ashamed of himself.

I tried to play CivWorld, but the whole social aspect ruined it. I'm hoping Firaxis learns from this mistake in gaming and produces something amazing next, perhaps another Sid Meier's Pirates!

Tbh, I had almost completely forgotten about CivWorld.

Is anyone seriously surprised by this?

A minor one; I thought there wasn't much cost in them keeping it up. (And so at some point there just wouldn't be any more updates [like those playing say SMAC(X), there's been no updates for years but you can still play it.]) Maybe facebook is charges more games on their site than I thought.
(Zygna likes to have frequent limited time things in all their games, so it wasn't surprising that they pulled their less popular games.)

I did play couple of games there (and became highest ranking player once). Massively multiplayer aspect of the game was very fun -- for the first time a player could experience internal rivalries and tension INSIDE his empire -- very realistic aspect totally missed by franchise so far. Mini-games were silly for strategy players, though. This idea should be further polished and developed, not shut down. Sad.

I think Sid Meier cancelled Civ World because the designers portrayed Sid Meier with gray beard on the title box, this must have been a huge insult to a creative man like that.

Good to learn about this. The game was really bad, and could not be simply 'revised' for improvements. It should have been shut down long ago.

They could make this as a browser based TBS, on it's own website, not on Facebook. And you should be able to have your own civilization. This way, it could be much more interesting. And instead of having the civs from PC version, you should just give what name you want to your civ and choose some benefits, at the beginning. Custom Civs.

You know... managing your cities like in Civ 5, doing battles like in Civ World, researching, etc. Could be interesting. I'd play that !

I never like to see a game go down, but a Facebook game. Eh. Not so sure it's a bad thing.

What they need to do is make a high quality mobile Civ.

Farewell to Sid's vanity project.

Had it not diverted much needed resources from the development of Civ 5, I might be a little bit sad.

But worry not, as we speak, Sid has plans to divert funds from Civ 6 for his iOS vanity project.

well......... you might be my exact equal twin, except i don't like commas. Go ciVI!!!

Personally, I liked the direction that Civ 5 was going. I just don't think they got there. A good game should not overwhelm the players with options. The 1 unit per tile went in that direction, but the combat didn't quite work out as well as could be hoped.

Civ needs innovation on the military side--the economic side of the game has developed well since the first two iterations. Some kind of gradually-expanding OOB system would be perfect for the turn-based nature of the game.

Top Bottom