G-Minor 142

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space Colony (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Noble
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Any
  • Speed: Quick
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Korea (Wang Kon)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 3.19.003
  • Date: 10th to 25th April 2012
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

this one looks interesting (except for the speed grrr), tagging for not forgetting.

what map type to use? great plains come to mind. Start in east.

No great early game UU is a bit drawback since the plan will involve waring for good sites.

rainforest could be very good for this one, lots of green tiles, lots of rivers.

Well, at least it's on Noble, so theoretically I have a chance to complete it. I doubt I'll pull it off, though, I dislike both quick games and small maps (not to mention BtS in general).

(Still going to give it a go or five, though. Any tips on hating BtS less would be appreciated!)

Edit: I was thinking go raging barbs and beeline great wall, but it occurs to me on a small map at quick speed that would be less effective.

It's hard to go back to vanilla (or warlords) after playing BtS. I can't imagine what makes you 'hate' it (assuming you like Civ IV).

It's hard to go back to vanilla (or warlords) after playing BtS. I can't imagine what makes you 'hate' it (assuming you like Civ IV).

It's the espionage system. I have a hard enough time dealing with the complexity of vanilla/warlords, espionage adds more things to worry about when I'm still trying to figure out how the hell do I win on Noble consistently (with any victory condition).

Edit: Oh, and the random events. Which never, ever help me. Ever.

Just tried to play a game for the gauntlet; was getting beaten badly as I had no happiness resources; France finally came up with something to trade, at which point I hit alt instead of ctrl, declaring war on france. Oops. game over

It's the espionage system. I have a hard enough time dealing with the complexity of vanilla/warlords, espionage adds more things to worry about when I'm still trying to figure out how the hell do I win on Noble consistently (with any victory condition).

Edit: Oh, and the random events. Which never, ever help me. Ever.

Just tried to play a game for the gauntlet; was getting beaten badly as I had no happiness resources; France finally came up with something to trade, at which point I hit alt instead of ctrl, declaring war on france. Oops. game over

Random events can be turned off, but I like them.

Espionage: (same advice) ignore it.

short-cut keys for trading: I never use those. I bring up the leader and interact there.

I think at Noble difficulty, you could just not worry about espionage. Keep the slider at 0% and let the AI worry about it.

Feel free to post here if you are having troubles with your game though! We can be a helpful lot sometimes ;)

I did notice in my last game that I was down to 50% tech slider when I had, I think, 5 cities. Lack of any happiness resources didn't help, though (it was a Rainforest map) -- maybe I'll try Great Plains next.

Edit: Did a Pangaea map, got boxed in quickly, tried to fight my way out, opponent wouldn't give peace unless I gave him a city, I quit the game. I really don't think I'm playing Civ 4 again so don't bother giving me advice. I'll stick to chess.

Edit: Did a Pangaea map, got boxed in quickly, tried to fight my way out, opponent wouldn't give peace unless I gave him a city, I quit the game. I really don't think I'm playing Civ 4 again so don't bother giving me advice. I'll stick to chess.

Don't quit, get even!

Have you tried Map Finder (here). It is a utility that helps you generate the map you want to start with. You can set it to look for happiness resource (I usually look for gold and gems) and get a good start on the game. Post here for help while you are playing as well!

I gave it a shot.....nothing spectacular....1995 on Rain Forest. Not enough cities, but once I got going I liked my city sites and wasn't going to start over. Had rivers in 5 of 7 cities, and once we got rolling, my cities were very strong. Only one war from my one time buddy to the N, Lincoln. Fought him off, and then everyone was afraid of me.

More like it, everyone else was pretty far away. Lincoln was close, which limited my cities, and to the E(was in the SW corner), was mountains and desert, so I would have had isolated, endangered cities, if I'd gone that far away.

We'll take some more off the E Quatro, anyhow.

grrrr. Real Life getting in the way again. Don't think i will be able to submit to this one which is a shame cause it is down on the levels i can actually complete a game. oh well. Just wondering if you guys agreed that with Wang's financial trait made a CE with slider driven research your strategy of choice for this one.

Just wondering if you guys agreed that with Wang's financial trait made a CE with slider driven research your strategy of choice for this one.

Not that I will be playing this one but CE certainly would be the play here. Use the UB (a ultra university) and cottages to generate the science.

^^^Yeah, it can be map determinate, but if you play the obvious map here, then CE is definitely the way to go. You can generate some phenomenal BPTs if you grab enough land.

Top Bottom