[SCENARIO] Feudal Japan - Sengoku-Jidai

Howdy again!

I got back to working the XML, this time on your map... I removed the unnecessary units, resources, buildings, civilopedia, techs and leaders, then
whipped up new leaders complete with custom diplomacy lines and leaderheads, added a spy unit (just guess what it is...), gave cavalries and muskets custom models (seZereth's fantastic WHFB Nippon models!), fixed the build bug, changed calendar to months and based the timeline on Nobunaga's meteoric rise (starts a year before the Battle of Okehazama), reworked civilopedia, and created a new scenario (well, actually a save file).

I managed to make it fairly accurate historically, which came at the cost of unbalanced gameplay (I like to call it difficulty, Nobunaga = easiest, on the other hand, Oichi = hardest) and I had to place Hideyoshi and Mitsunari in a different place because of gameplay issues (such as too much forces in the North, dang half of them are there). I also put focus on expanding territory by claiming barbarian cities and made it with multiplayer on mind, since backstabbing is not something that computer is good at (imagine if a vassal intentionally removes his forces from the defensive position on the master's borders!), which makes Honnoji an impossibly event.

Care to try it out. If you want I'll submit it to downloads, but personally I'd like it to be Sengoku-Jidai 1.5. I'll host it to encrypted to RapidShare and send you the password...

Andrew_Jay said:
In Shogun: Total War your only option was to camp in the province and starve the enemy out while they holed-up in their castle! No sieges or anything.

So basically the concept is "besieging 'til death do us part!". Figures... Actually, I wonder if something like that could not be added to the game. For example, if you occupy and hold on for at least two turns to all spaces around a city, it has a chance of automatically surrendering. Just a thought.

I'm glad you like it tough. I have to admit that I have yet to actually win myself - I'm typically defeated by the diplomatic victory. I have a game going now though were everyone is literally at war with everyone else (just like I was hoping for!) and there's no way a diplomatic victory is going to emerge anytime soon. Perhaps if I had a couple of vassels of my own things would turn around ;)

I had my rear-end handed to me multiple times even though militarily I was the 100 Lb gorilla. It's weird because on the one hand you have to bend over backward to please one or two key clans, and on the other you have to be very aggressive militarily to conquer or vassalise cities for the purpose of gaining votes. Not easy. By the way, which clan do you favor playing? I won with the Takeda clan. By the time I won, it was 1597 and I had either conquered or vassalised all but two clans. One of the latter had been my rival for votes but we ended up maintaining a Defensive Pact (off and on) for much of the game because our relationship was actually quite good, amazingly. The other clan was a 1-town vassal of my rival.

By the way, still no plans to modify your cavalry, eh? ;)

Vaarna_Aarne said:
I got back to working the XML, this time on your map... I removed the unnecessary units, resources, buildings, civilopedia, techs and leaders, then
whipped up new leaders complete with custom diplomacy lines and leaderheads, added a spy unit (just guess what it is...), gave cavalries and muskets custom models (seZereth's fantastic WHFB Nippon models!), fixed the build bug, changed calendar to months and based the timeline on Nobunaga's meteoric rise (starts a year before the Battle of Okehazama), reworked civilopedia, and created a new scenario (well, actually a save file).

Sounds pretty darn exciting. I'll be waiting for that one. Thanks! :D

Ambreville said:
Sounds pretty darn exciting. I'll be waiting for that one. Thanks! :D

Well let's see what Andrew_Jay says about it... After all, I used his map as a basis, so I'd like to get his opinion about spreading it, before I do anything. Actually I'm even hoping to get it called Sengoku Jidai 1.5 instead of Shin Sengoku Jidai as I do now...

What I know on Japanese sieges, it was pretty much surrounding the enemy and then lighting him on fire, until cannons came along. But even then it always ended in an all-out attack by one side. Starving the enemy out wasn't so much an option in there, as most castles were built to be self-sufficient for great periods of time, so a long-time siege wouldn't be much of an option either. So I'd say the current system in the scenario pretty much behaves correctly = blast a hole in the wall and then rush in with all you've got.

I've taken a look at your work - very interesting, and you certainly got a LOT done.

I'm going to keep my old map and leave the units as they are - though I have included Tokugawa as you suggested, as well as Date.

Quick question Aarne - how did you fix the bug with the cities not prompting you to build something? I can't figure it out myself. You might be able to also help me out with why the "dawn of man" introductory screen doesn't come up for me anymore. It's really weird.

Well, I think your problem with the city prompts might be due to that you still have the unused units and techs in the XML. They might be messing up the system.

As for the introductory screen... I dunno. Maybe it's a problem with your installation or then in either GlobalDefines and/or BasicInfos XMLs. I figured out my bugs by comparing the XMLs to those in Civ4 and finding out parts that were not used or were oddities. The only thing I couldn't manage to remove were the railroads, but I made the game to think of them as normal roads.

Anyhow, if you've got nothing against it, I'll soon make the last finishing touches and submit it to download and call it your maps "sequal" (I always loved the idea of getting it somehow linked with your map). I still have to add Ashigaru Cavalry and Ironclads. Otherwise I think I'm pretty much done, with timeline matching up and all events possible (well, they need some clever/stupid playing, Okehazama is not something a smart player would re-enact nor is Honnoji.) along with your already superb basic tech and combat system.

Hi all. I really enjoyed this Mod in CIV III, so I was very pleased to see you've made one for CIV IV. Thanks! Unfortunately, I can't get it to start!

I un-RARed the file into the Warlords Mods folder, and I can get as far as the intro screen, and click Single Player, but the "Play Now" button is dark and un-clickable. (Have hopefully included a screenshot). Any recommendations?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 254
where did you get that map from

I've been busy lately and haven't had a chance to respond to things in here.

First off, Aarne: feel free to release a scenario of your own - though not as version 1.5, I hope to have my own update sometime soon. Just differentiate the names so that they are not confused.

Fezek: Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is. All I can suggest right now is that you use the actual worldbuilder file (under public maps in the mod) to launch the scenario. It's quicker that way anyway. Anyone know how to include a mod in the list of those that you can load (like the Warlords scenarios themselves)? I had it working in older versions. Don't know what happened.

kristopherb: I made the map myself, based off that graphic from the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency's website.

Anyway, an update on how things are going. I've decided to dive into making custim units and though it's frustrating and tedious, it's also a whole lot of fun.

Right now I have Archers and Spearmen (Samurai Archers and Yari Samurai) who use the Samurai model/skin. They look really good - especially when the Spearmen use an enlarged version of the Keshik's lance and the Pikeman's animations. I'm now working on putting Samurai models on the cavalry units (Yari Cavalry and Cavalry Archers). All that's left is to give the Arbequsier the Ashigaru Archer model.

I'll also have to look into the new patch and see what changes should be made.

The Battle of Okehazama was the one in which Nobunaga Oda popped up. He practically mopped the floor with the vastly larger Imagawa army and destroyed the Imagawa. If I remember right, the it was 4 on 1 with the Imagawa having the better supplies and equipment.

Honnoji is the temple in Kyoto in which Mitsuhide Akechi forced Nobunaga to commit Seppuku. Mitsuhide was given a large force with which to reinforce Hideyoshi in the West. But Mitsuhide turned around and attacked his lord. Probably because Nobunaga was in a way responsible for Mitsuhide's mother's death. Later on Hideyoshi would avenge his lord at mt. Tenno by defeating Mitsuhide.

Stupid Question: do I need warlords to run this?

Andrew_Jay said:
Anyway, an update on how things are going. I've decided to dive into making custim units and though it's frustrating and tedious, it's also a whole lot of fun.

Right now I have Archers and Spearmen (Samurai Archers and Yari Samurai) who use the Samurai model/skin. They look really good - especially when the Spearmen use an enlarged version of the Keshik's lance and the Pikeman's animations. I'm now working on putting Samurai models on the cavalry units (Yari Cavalry and Cavalry Archers). All that's left is to give the Arbequsier the Ashigaru Archer model.

I'll also have to look into the new patch and see what changes should be made.

why dont you use some of my japanese (nippon) units from the warhammer mod (released them seperately, but in the warhammer mod they are the most actual version (and best looking) ) feel free, jusst go into the art/units/NiPPON/ directory of the warhammer mod if you want.

seZereth said:
why dont you use some of my japanese (nippon) units from the warhammer mod (released them seperately, but in the warhammer mod they are the most actual version (and best looking) ) feel free, jusst go into the art/units/NiPPON/ directory of the warhammer mod if you want.
OT but you sigs too long

seZereth said:
I've seen your units, and while quite good, I felt that didn't fit as well as I'd like. Plus, it was kind of fun to give unit creation a try, and I was surprised by how easy it was to just switch around weapons, models and animations, and how well the results came out. Thanks for the offer though.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
When is version 1.5 of Sengoku Jidai coming out Andrew_Jay?
Coincidently, I was going to post the new - and I believe final version - tonight.

EDIT: Alright, the new download is up.

Top Bottom