Civilization 4 and Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashgarinn

Chieftain
How do you get these two to work together??

I always get an error:
"This application has failed to start because D3DDX26.dll was not found. Re-installing the aplpication may fix this problem."

Vista contains DirectX10.. so I of course did not install DX9c when that popped up. So what's happening here??

I did try patching to 1.61, no luck :(

Any ideas?

K.

kashgarinn said:
How do you get these two to work together??

I always get an error:
"This application has failed to start because D3DDX26.dll was not found. Re-installing the aplpication may fix this problem."

Vista contains DirectX10.. so I of course did not install DX9c when that popped up. So what's happening here??

I did try patching to 1.61, no luck :(

Any ideas?

K.
That's you problem. Even though Vista has DX10, you need to go through the install. It won't overwrite DX10, it will just add some Civ 4 files. If you cancel it, the game own't run.

Mt issue with Vista is the mouse/pointer. I have Warlords installed, and the game starts fine, but the pointer flashes and is jerky, making it impossible to play. Anyone have Civ4 and/or Warlords working perfectly in Vista?

UPDATE: By playing Civ 4 in a window, the pointer no longer flashes. The only problem with this is that the world doesn't move when you put your pointer to the edge of the screen, but you can just use the arrow keys.

Not perfectly yet, but I solved a lot of my problems by installing it with Compatability for XP(SP2) and run as administrator.

I have viv iv working perfectly in Vista. And have never had any problems with it. I have terrible problems with my graphics in XP so I always use Vista.

I'm having a problem with my Civ IV. I'm running on Vista and at first when I installed it, when it ran it would keep telling me it couldn't find the disc. Then I tried calling tech support and they told me to run the compatibility mode in Windows NT cuz XP didn't work either. Now it runs but the menus are all glitchy and it's really starting to bug my eyes! I've tried changing my graphics settings and everything but nothing works, the menus and certain screens have major glitch factors where everything's flashy. Please help...

What is your system set-up like?

Sounds like the same graphics problem I had when I upgraded to Vista RC2. The problem didn't occur at all with the public release of Vista. The main title screens are fine, so is the intro movie; then when you open the main menu you get something reminiscient of a Borg Nano attack straight out of Star Trek.

The problem is definitely occuring in the graphics. After trying a number of fixes (including contacting support and having 3 IT guys from my work try to fix it) the only solution found was to reformat the drive and start from scratch. (Remember to back everything up before doing this!)

The important point to remember when reinstalling everything is NOT to install anything for your graphics card (that Windows doesn't specifically prompt you for). I had to let Windows control the entire graphics function. Do not install any add-on programs or special features for your graphics card whether or not they are listed as Vista compatible. Simply disabling or uninstalling them did not work even after cleaning-up the registry.

My system:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600
Asus Crosshair motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I just bought a new VERY powerful laptop with Vista and installed Civ IV on it. When I ran it Vista prompted me and said that Civ IV had known compability issues, and that I should check MS Knowledge base to see if they had any solutions to the problem (a nice button was there for me to click)...

I clicked the button and NOTHING happened.

So i decided to ignore the message and run the program anyway. And it ran and it ran. The intro movie ran smooth as hell and I enjoyed it because my old desktop had problems shoeing it :)

The intro movie finished and the menu popped up... So I ran the update downloading patch 1.7X, and after updating the game wouldn't start at all. I find that very weird.

Anyway as I'm writing thins I am installing BTS and i'm crossing my fingers for it to work (the game box states that it should work).

If there is a god Civ IV will also run after installing the expansion pack!

Everytime I try to install Civ IV, it goes through the entire install process and at the end says "redundancy error" and cancels the entire instalation. Anyone k now what I need to do?

Hi, just thought I'd give my 2 cents on this.

kaptajnknark: If your laptop is a widescreen laptop, then you're in trouble. I notice that "Beyond the Sword" doesn't work with my laptop (WXGA+) if I haven't right after the install disabled all movies and set the resolution to 1024*768 (largest non-wide resolution for my laptop).

I guess there's some glitch at the Blink video system that disables the startup demo to show and hangs the game if the resolution isn't set to a non-wide resolution one as well. Also the game crashed on single player when the movies for wonders were enabled.

Shortly put, try this: Reinstall civ4, at first run set resolution to 1024*768 and disable all movies. Could resolve your issue as well.

so is there a fix to this problem?
i really want to play civ 4 and i got a new laptop with vista and cant play :(
i dont find the answer
thanks in advance

Hello,
My comp is 32 bit 1024MB memory 3800 AMD Processor with a cheap
NVIDIA 6150LE (Which I'm replacing as soon as my warranty ends)
I have VISTA HOME Premium and also get the non compatible pop-up
but I've never had a issue with my vanilla Civ 4 or mods.I'm gonna install
BTS and Warlords within the next week so I'm crossing my fingers.

My civ 4 worked perfectly on vista until I tried to play multiplayer. I downloaded a patch and then civ wouldn't even load.

Same problem. I tried to isntall BTS, and now I can't load up the game.. Nor can I even un-instal. The un-install wizard stops working.

same problem with the multiplayer thing except it loads for me but then crashes in about 5 minutes :(

I note that the 2K page on BTS System Requirements simply
does not list Vista as a Supported Operating System!

Has anyone managed to get BTS to run properly on Vista???

If so, please tell.

I have Civ IV and BTS on old lap top Windows XP SP 2,
but sound (probably hardware) is packing up.

Everything works except Wonder movies, no matter.

I was thinking of buying new lap top, but all Vista now.

Has anyone managed to get BTS to run properly on Vista???

If so, please tell.

this is not quite true - Beyond the Sword is branded as
Games for Windows
which forces them to support Vista if they do want to advertise it like that...
Also while I don't run Vista myself there are quite a few people around here who seem to be doing fine with Vista. The installer though has some problems with it.
What are your exact problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom