How much flavour can we add to the Leaders?

Is it possible to have different units in the game that act as leaders for different civs?

For. Example. Rome cannot have a GML a result from battle, but instead has a different "Leader" type unit, say the Emperor. Give it different move stats or A/D whatever. Would this be possible?

If you removed Leader from the list for the Romans, put the Emperor as only to be built by Rome, gave it 0 Shield cost and had Leader upgrade to Emperor like you would with UUs.

Would this work? I have tried and it kept crashing. Am I missing something?

Basically I would like to make it so that instead of a battle promotion giving you a unit which allows you to build an army, instead you could have that elite unit generating just a new unit. Cutting out the middle man so to speak.

Or, what would happen if in the General settings of the editor, we switched the Battle-Created Unit and Build-Army Unit with each other? Armies automatically produced instead of a leader, but you could "build-army" and have it created another offensive/defensive unit.

Any thoughts?

i might not be understanding you right, but you could just get a new unit and put it under battle created unit... (i.e.-create a new unit, call it emperor, and give it the a/d/m you want it to have, and then change battle created unit to the unit you just created.)

is that what you were talking about, or no

Yeah, but you couldn't make it different for each civ. Upon playing around I have figured out that it is best not to mess with the Armies and Leaders as the game will crash pretty easily.

You can only have one type of army and one type of leader.:sad:

You can only have one type of army and one type of leader
I dont know about the leaders but I know it isnt a problem to replace the Armies. SOE uses specific army graphics for all the major civs involved.

well, you could make a unit, give it army characteristics, and make it so you need military academy to build it, and make one for each civ. make it so it replaces the leader and the leader upgrades to that unit, that might work

i might not be understanding you right, but you could just get a new unit and put it under battle created unit... (i.e.-create a new unit, call it emperor, and give it the a/d/m you want it to have, and then change battle created unit to the unit you just created.)

Seems the problem with this would be that the Leader unit, whatever it is, needs to have finish improvements flag and build army in order to be created in battle. There is no way to separate the two.

well, you could make a unit, give it army characteristics, and make it so you need military academy to build it, and make one for each civ. make it so it replaces the leader and the leader upgrades to that unit, that might work

I tried this without the military academy. I made Leaders only buildable by certain civs and had the leader upgrade to other leader type assigned to different civs. The upgrade path was fine but this is what happened. I think the unit cost has something to do with it and you get a leader in the build possibilities with a cost of 0, because I figured the leader needed no cost, like the original one. I believe it crashed without doing that.

Also you have to give the Leader unit you make, the science age option as well I am guessing. Tried so many different configs I don't remember exactly :crazyeye:

I would love to see this SOE mod....is it ready yet?

I tried this without the military academy. I made Leaders only buildable by certain civs and had the leader upgrade to other leader type assigned to different civs. The upgrade path was fine but this is what happened. I think the unit cost has something to do with it and you get a leader in the build possibilities with a cost of 0, because I figured the leader needed no cost, like the original one. I believe it crashed without doing that.

Instead, i should correct myself, not make leaders buildable, but make it so that leaders are battlecreated units, and when a battle is complete, they get that unit, and only then. That way there is no need for a cost of 0 because it will not be buildable.

Also you have to give the Leader unit you make, the science age option as well I am guessing. Tried so many different configs I don't remember exactly :crazyeye:

I wouldn't know, i only have vanilla, so i don't have scientific age option :(

If all you want is to have leaders special, and different than everyother civ, then just make it so that the battle created unit is the new special leader. Give that leaders all the properties, like build army, hurry production and all that other good stuff. If that was what you are trying to do, that should be all you need to do.

Actually, what I wanted to do was to make a different type of leader for each civ with different stats and abilities. Don't think I will mess around with it. I see what you mean if I just wanted the one. Also, in the editor, the leader unit has a build cost of 0, that is why I thought what I did, as mentioned above.

Actually, what I wanted to do was to make a different type of leader for each civ with different stats and abilities. Don't think I will mess around with it. I see what you mean if I just wanted the one. Also, in the editor, the leader unit has a build cost of 0, that is why I thought what I did, as mentioned above.

You can have only one unit as a "battle created unit". One and the same for every race. And unit's cost or other properties doesn't matter, you can have an ordinary spearman as a "battle created unit". "Leader" ability from the editor only assigns a name from the name list (Civilization's properties). But it is not necessary.

You can have only one unit as a "battle created unit". One and the same for every race. And unit's cost or other properties doesn't matter, you can have an ordinary spearman as a "battle created unit". "Leader" ability from the editor only assigns a name from the name list (Civilization's properties). But it is not necessary.

yeah, but if he makes it so that lets say
England gets Gen. Cornwallis
America gets Gen. Washington

make it so that Cornwallis upgrades to Washington, and make Cornwallis the Battlecreated unit. Make it so that England can only build Cornwallis, and visa versa. You can give them the stats they want. no shields though, since you can't build em.

make it so that Cornwallis upgrades to Washington, and make Cornwallis the Battlecreated unit.
But you cannot upgrade to a unit X if you cannot build unit X yet. E.g. if you have no tech or resource X requires. And on the other hand, if you can build unit X, then, well, you can build it. Traditionally, you cannot build leaders, that's why they are leaders, not just any unit :)

Make it so that England can only build Cornwallis, and visa versa. You can give them the stats they want. no shields though, since you can't build em.

Shields is important not only for building. E.g. Ancient Cavalry has shield cost (40 if memory serves me) but you can't build it. It serves for, e.g., disbanding: when you disband a unit in the city, a % from it's cost goes to whatever improvement/unit city is currently building. Also, shields cost is important when upgrading. It determines the cost of the upgrade.

yeah, but if he makes it so that lets say
England gets Gen. Cornwallis
America gets Gen. Washington

make it so that Cornwallis upgrades to Washington, and make Cornwallis the Battlecreated unit. Make it so that England can only build Cornwallis, and visa versa. You can give them the stats they want. no shields though, since you can't build em.

I tried this and it didn't work, kept crashing. Cornplanter is right.

But you cannot upgrade to a unit X if you cannot build unit X yet. E.g. if you have no tech or resource X requires. And on the other hand, if you can build unit X, then, well, you can build it. Traditionally, you cannot build leaders, that's why they are leaders, not just any unit :)

ok, perhaps you misunderstood me. This is what the Unit profiles look like

lets say you only want to make a special leader for America and England, you will make England's first

Name of Unit:General Cornwallis
Icon:Whatever, lets just say 67, because in Vanilla, that is a leader
Prerequisite:None
Class:Land (unless you want otherwise)
Upgrades to:Washington (or visa versa, depending on what you want)
Standard Orders:skip turn, wait, fortify, disband, go to
Shield Cost:0
Pop Cost:0
Moves:3
Trans. Capacity:3 (for an army)
Zone of Control:no
Attack:1(can be whatever)
Defense:1 (ditto)
Operational Rage:unless air unit, 0
Bombard, range, and rate of fire all 0 unless you decide otherwise
HP bonus:0 (unless you want otherwise)
Special Actions: Load, Finish Improvements. (no build army since it is an army)
AI Strategies: Leader
Required Resources:none
Unit Abilities: Army
Avalibale to: America and England (or all of the nations getting special leaders)

ok, Gen. Cornwallis is done, next...

Name of Unit:General Washington
Icon:67
Prerequisite:None
Class:Land (unless you want otherwise)
Upgrades to:none (NOTE, if you want to make another special leader, then make it upgrade to the next one that you are making!)
Standard Orders:skip turn, wait, fortify, disband, go to
Shield Cost:0
Pop Cost:0
Moves:3
Trans. Capacity:3 (for an army)
Zone of Control:no
Attack:1 (can be whatever)
Defense:1 (ditto)
Operational Rage:unless air unit, 0
Bombard, range, and rate of fire all 0 unless you decide otherwise
HP bonus:0 (unless you want otherwise)
Special Actions: Load, Finish Improvements. (no build army since it is an army)
AI Strategies: Leader
Required Resources:none
Unit Abilities: Army
Avalibale to: America (NOTE, DO NOT give this unit to England, but to every other civ getting a special leader)

ok, now that the units are made, head right over to general settings...

change battle created unit to General Cornwallis, or whichever civ specific leader you created first. That should make it so that the upgrade chain goes all the way up so the last civ gets their own rightful civ leader. Just make sure that the previously civs with already made leaders do not get added onto the list of avalible to as you go on. If that doesn't work, i don't think that anything will
p.s.-sorry for any confusion in any other posts

Yes I understood that much, but one thing is not clear yet: how do you prevent certain civ from building it's unique leader? Just building, in any city? Sorry if I got you wrong/

Yes I understood that much, but one thing is not clear yet: how do you prevent certain civ from building it's unique leader? Just building, in any city? Sorry if I got you wrong/

Well, I thought that when you make the unit a battle created unit, it automatically becomes none buildable. It seems to me that if it isn't, that you would just have to try to just not build it. I will look into it more, but for now, i need to go.

make it quite a bit of shields so the AI doesn't build it

make it quite a bit of shields so the AI doesn't build it
Doesn't work. I had a unit that cost 1000 shields in my scenario and the AI still started on it at times. :mad:

If you want to stop a unit from being built then you could make it require a 'trash' resource that is not available anywhere on the map. That stops you upgrading to it too though.

TB: I did something very similar to what you described above. Did you get yours to work, because I couldn't. It kept crashing.

Also, in order to give the Leader AI strategy, you need to give the unit, both finish improvements and build army. I will try it again.

well, i just got home from school, and i am determined to make this idea work, and hopefully, i will have civ complete by the time i get it done.

P.S.-this post will be edited away by what i find.

Top Bottom