Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Renaissance

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Industrial

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Modern

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters
Hard pick, but I'm going to go with the Renaissance. I think the Ancient Age is a little too formulaic--your capital is your only serious city for most of this period, so whatever you do comes down to what you started with.

Stuff starts to get exciting once you establish your borders, get siege equipment, and start getting more civics. I think it reaches its peak by about the Renaissance, but I've always been a sucker for the massed rifles, cannons, and the Age of Sail.

Classical, I think. Lots of strategy in city placement en teching choices.

It's a shame the jumps to rifles and then tanks are so huge, because their tactical advantage make the following strategy rather dumb.

I like classical best mostly because of the music. Aincient music is just boring and the medieval music is boring chanting and stuff.

Industrial here. It's when Wars start feeling like Wars and not just petty skirmishes.

I WANT to like the modern/future era the best, because there's so many cool options for military units at that point. However, usually the game is decided one way or another before I get there. I said renaissance, because that's usually the most critical time in my games. Everybody's finished settling cities, the map is fleshed out, I've (usually) won the liberalism race and now it's time to go to war!

In peacetime, I like the Classical era, because that's when you start founding your 2nd, 3rd, 4th cities. Slow, peaceful expansion and undisturbed teching, except for the occasional barb.

I voted Medieval, though, because I prefer warring in that era. It's the time where units are advanced enough to be more than just a bunch of suicide attackers, and primitive enough that the game retains the "history" feel.

In peacetime, I like the Classical era, because that's when you start founding your 2nd, 3rd, 4th cities. Slow, peaceful expansion and undisturbed teching, except for the occasional barb.

I voted Medieval, though, because I prefer warring in that era. It's the time where units are advanced enough to be more than just a bunch of suicide attackers, and primitive enough that the game retains the "history" feel.

Do you mean secondary, tertiary, etc. cities (as in, second tier cities), or literally you don't found a second city until you get to the Classical Age? I was a little confused when I read through your post.

Modern just because the warfare becomes really interesting. Now that everyone (at least should) have huge armies, you're no longer just invading with one giant stack of everything, but should have multiple huge stacks. Plus the added layer of strategy with air vehicles just adds even more fun!

I voted for medieval because I think thats when you get to build castles, when you research construction and engineering

Medieval... you have the most tech parity there, and the defense can really make some stands. Castles, knights, macemen, trebuchets...
Castles I find to be very cool.
This is also a time when space is probably severely limited, so this leads to more wars too.

I like the tech choices you have to make here to get to your way out of the period.

Interestingly, of the civs I made, most of them were rolling high during this period too.
Renaissance would be next... then classical.

Top Bottom