Quick Questions and Answers

This is more of a modding question.

Are City States personality always random? I could not find anything that defnied it in the XML files.

I noticed during playing the wonders of the ancient world scenario, that the CSs had a different personality on every playthrough. I'm tempted to believe that maybe militaristic ones have a higher chance of being hostile, however that impression might be more based on expectation than on an actual observation.

quick question: even if you dont have the random reroll checked in advanced settings, why will a ruin change it's prize when you restart the same save?

upon the 5th or 6th restart of the same save file, it decided to change the ruin that originally made my scout an archer (for each of the original restarts) to a free tech and i dont have the random reroll checked.

trying to highlight this one again. seems it got missed if anyone has an answer for it. thanks.

Playing WotAW Scenario right now and have a lot of trouble to win on deity. Therefore I loaded saves a lot in this one to maximize benefits and it actually is like this: On reload the ruin will always be the same as before. Only if I take another ruin before, it will change. Or if I take the ruin in the next turn it will also change. But not not the same turn on reload, never. So you can farm the ruin for it's best (+pop, free tech, culture) by camping the ruin and trying it on every turn and reloading (plus camping another turn) if it's crap (tiles/barbs revealed, small amounts of gold, bad unit upgrade).
However camping for it always prevents you from discovering more ruins or of course someone else may take them then, which might be even worse.

An oddity; playing as Mongolia, building chariots, I just get ordinary chariots, move 4. While a City State gave me a Mongolian war chariot, move 5. :confused:

I would have expected some post in the bug section when everybody had this, so... am I the only one who gets this, or what's going on here?

I know, but I got a Mongolian War Chariot from this CS, that's at least how it was described, while my own Mongolian empire was only capable of building ordinary chariots. The graphic of the CS chariot might have been similar to that of an Egyptian war schariot, I didn't think about that at the time. And regretfully, I didn't take a screenshot.

The Mongolian unique ability says all horse units get an extra move, but I'm not seeing that happening in my game, the horse units I'm building are the default ones with the default speed. Of course the Keshiks have move 5, but that's a special unit. With the ordinary horse units I'm not seeing the extra move, and I'm wondering what other players are getting? The 30% bonus attack against CS's I do get, that works.

Unique units from CS's aren't even that rare. I often ally military CS's and every now and then I'm getting a unique unit. If people say it's rare they're probably not often allying military City States.

Thanks by the way, FeiLing, for your answer about the war declaration. Since nobody seemed really sure, we took the safe road and only declared when we were asked to do it.

Well, "mongolian" just is before the unit, as it belongs to you - it's npot part of the units name. If in MP or as a gift from a CS for e.g. you get a (roman) legion, it still will say 'mongolian legion

What is interesting is the movement thing. That war chariot might have not gotten +1 for your mongolian trait, as it does not require horses :D

quick question: even if you dont have the random reroll checked in advanced settings, why will a ruin change it's prize when you restart the same save?

upon the 5th or 6th restart of the same save, it decided to change the ruin that originally made my scout an archer (for each of the original restarts) to a free tech and i dont have the random reroll checked.

The preserve random seed option does just that: it preserves the random SEED. If you do anything at all different after loading a savegame, sometimes even different in timing but not sequence, it can change the results of the calculation, even though you start from the same "random" number. You should find that from a given savegame, immediately on reload, taking a given action should produce the same result. That result may not even be the same as the result you got on the original, pre-load playthrough, due to some apparent problems in saving the seed. And any results 2 or more actions down the line from the load may diverge more strongly from your original experience.

In short (too late), all preserve random seed is meant to do is prevent the "I don't like that result: reload" exploit. However, it doesn't even do that job horribly well in all circumstances.

The preserve random seed option does just that: it preserves the random SEED. If you do anything at all different after loading a savegame, sometimes even different in timing but not sequence, it can change the results of the calculation, even though you start from the same "random" number. You should find that from a given savegame, immediately on reload, taking a given action should produce the same result. That result may not even be the same as the result you got on the original, pre-load playthrough, due to some apparent problems in saving the seed. And any results 2 or more actions down the line from the load may diverge more strongly from your original experience.

In short (too late), all preserve random seed is meant to do is prevent the "I don't like that result: reload" exploit. However, it doesn't even do that job horribly well in all circumstances.

the same is applied to combat, and in particular STALEMATE, you could either win or lose, and in stalemate you have approx. 50/50 chance.

It must have been an Egyptian chariot then, but it had its normal 5 move. My self-built chariots only had 4 move.

Yeah, this is the case. If it was just a normal chariot, it would appear as 'Mongolian Chariot Archer'. Egypt's UU, though, adds 'War' to the name, and takes away 'Archer'. So when you hover over it, it'll appear as 'Mongolian War Chariot'. See here. :)

When 2 civs have the same amount of votes for a diplo victory what decides who is the winrar? In my last game me and Adam Sandler both had 10 votes (10 were needed for the victory), i expected to go another 10 turns for the next vote, but instead came the victory screen. I had the UN, so maybe that is the tiebreaker, also i had more points than him, i guess those are the 2 things that could have decided it, but i'm not sure which one.

How do you play a scenario?

I used to be able to play them; but now I can't find anything obvious in the UI to play them - so I must have done something to disable the obvious ways.

I can see them in the mods area - but now only 1 can be checked at a time due to exclusivity? There is no 'Start Scenario' button anymore.

Anyone know how to make this appear again?

Cheers

If you want to play a vanilla scenario (not a modded one), just go to single player -> scenario -> choose your scenario

or you can go to Mods -> browse mods -> check off the one you want to play ->go back -> single player (still in mods) -> start game

OK

This is where I fail: single player -> scenario

I've managed to turn that button off; is there a way I can turn it back on?

Taaaa

Top Bottom