First game on Prince

Itstoearly

Chieftain
(Note: this is for Civ 4 vanilla, latest patch)

Hi all,
I am looking to start my first game on Prince setting, and it seems to me I need to really get a lot of practice in to get some of the advanced skills down. So I bring my game into the public spotlight so that my lack of skill can be thoroughly mocked... and also, so I can get tips and perhaps even learn something.

So I figured I would use these settings:
Normal speed
Prince difficulty
Pangaea
Small map
Temperate
Medium sea level
Natural Shoreline

As for leader, I am not sure yet.... I always play as Gandhi on noble difficulty, but I dont think that will cut it here. I also want to try the cottage economy. I was considering either Isabella (for her UU) or Peter.

So would Peter be a good leader to start with?
Any other comments/suggestions before I begin?
Thanks!

Peter is one of the weaker leaders imo; below average UU, very late and thus often irrelevant UB. Traits are ok.

Isabella has even weaker traits - Spi << Phi imo but Spi is easier to leverage (running an SE is optimal with Philosophical and it takes micromanagement). Isabella's UU Conquistador is top 5 (or close to it) in the game imo and the UB is very powerful too - it gives already powerful siege more XP. Go for Izzy!! :D

I like to play on normal speed with everything random, including the leader. This has helped me inprove more than using specific settings.

Anyhow, good luck on Prince. You should post a save or two, whenever you have the time.

I like cossacks. If you can get MT and Rifling before the AI, all the cuiriassers and knights that the AI love to build will be useless. Promote them to pinch and you'll be able to crush any AI without rifling.

You may want to try with a normal size map. SMALL-map doesn't really count worth anything.

Vanilla? Refresh my memory, is the Cossack still uber good there?

No, it got nerfed in a patch

Top Bottom