Holy city - can it be wiped out by inquisitor after being conquered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overkill9

Warlord
Exactly what it says. I have used inquisitors on holy cities after I captured them, say, using islam inqisitor to 'inquisit' a confucius holy city, and afterwards I got an islamic city with no trace of confucianism whatsoever.

Also, does this mean that if every single confucianism cities are 'inquisited', the religion is wiped off the face of the earth and no other players can re-establish it? Can a religion be re-established after being destroyed?

I've been wondering this too. From personal experience it appears that a religion cannot be eliminated in its entirety (presuming that the Holy City is an original capital city too).

In my last game I captured all of my neighbour's cities - including their Holy City - and sought to eliminate their religion. I managed to get all of their cities to follow my religion (I used a Great Prophet in their Holy City). However, their Holy City gradually started to convert citizens back to that religion. I should note that none of the neighbouring cities followed my neighbour's religion at this point. I should also note that the conversion was so slow that their religion never manifested itself again.

If you stamp it out with inquisitors in the holy city and around it and then bring in your religion, it'll basically be dead but it can never entirely dissappear. It will have so few followers though and be erelevant...

I've been wondering this too. From personal experience it appears that a religion cannot be eliminated in its entirety (presuming that the Holy City is an original capital city too).

In my last game I captured all of my neighbour's cities - including their Holy City - and sought to eliminate their religion. I managed to get all of their cities to follow my religion (I used a Great Prophet in their Holy City). However, their Holy City gradually started to convert citizens back to that religion. I should note that none of the neighbouring cities followed my neighbour's religion at this point. I should also note that the conversion was so slow that their religion never manifested itself again.

There were likely several cities that still followed the other religion putting pressing on the holy city, thus converting some of those citizens back to the heathen religion. If you use an Inquisitor on the holy city then use a prophet to convert all the other cities, it'll be stamped out for good.

Being the Holy City generates pressure for that religion. There's nothing you can do about this except coming back and stamping it out periodically, or getting more pressure for the religion you do want in that city.

What Drawmeus said. In addition, I have every reason to believe that if you Found a religion, ANY Great Prophet you spawn will be of the religion you founded, not the religion of the city if spawns in.

I think there will always be religious pressure in the holy city no matter what, BUT if you pressure right back harder, it should technically be gone for good.

If you use an Inquisitor on the holy city then use a prophet to convert all the other cities, it'll be stamped out for good.

This is false. The holy city will always continue to exert pressure for its religion, even if reduced to zero followers. In a few turns, it'll be back to 1 follower, regain its 'holy city of x' tooltip, and show pressure again (30 on unenhanced standard)

Only true way to eradicate it is to raze the holy city and remove it as a major in every city. The AI will always found religion in its capital so you'll never be able to apart from one-city-challenge, mods, or vs humans.

What Drawmeus said. In addition, I have every reason to believe that if you Found a religion, ANY Great Prophet you spawn will be of the religion you founded, not the religion of the city if spawns in.

Do Inquisitors die from Attrition? If not then it would be funny to spread your religion to all cities, have enough pressure against the holy city, then put enough inquisitors around the holy city to block a GP from leaving it.

It seems that a Holy City will always exert some base amount of Pressure for its original religion, but if the surrounding cities provide enough counter Pressure for another religion, the original Holy City religion may never be able to convert a single citizen, and so you'll never see the display about the Pressure (because you need 1 citizen follower to see it). So it will still be there, but you may never see it again.

Inquisitors can only be used in cities that you occupy, so they don't have the Unwelcome Evangelist ability and can't enter foreign territory without Open Borders, and so aren't subject to attrition.

There is some misunderstanding in this thread.

A Holy City only works as long as it's original civ that founded the religion hold the city. (This is documented in the pedia)

If Arabia found Islam and I take the city, then the Holy City goes into sleep mode and losses the Holy City pressure. (I know the tooltip is bugged and doesn't show this, the holy city pressure is still dead and gone.)

If you then convert all towns that has Islam as major religion, you wipe that religion as active in the world. The founder of the religion can't get propets, inq or missionaries for his original religion either.

Greater Prophets, Inq and Missionaries is spawned from towns, whatever that towns major religion is will be the fate of that unit. If all your towns is converted you have to wait for your holy city to regain it's religion before you can start using the religious units to restore the faith.

It seems that a Holy City will always exert some base amount of Pressure for its original religion, but if the surrounding cities provide enough counter Pressure for another religion, the original Holy City religion may never be able to convert a single citizen, and so you'll never see the display about the Pressure (because you need 1 citizen follower to see it). So it will still be there, but you may never see it again.

Inquisitors can only be used in cities that you occupy, so they don't have the Unwelcome Evangelist ability and can't enter foreign territory without Open Borders, and so aren't subject to attrition.

Thanks. I do remember now that they only work on your own cities. Guess you could stockpile Great Prophets, but that would take a while :lol:

So in my current game my holy city got nuked by an AI great prophet before the religion had spread to any of my other cities (at all, 0 followers in any city). Is my religion effectively dead if the AI religion spreads enough to excert 30 or more pressure on my capital?

What if I spawn another great prophet, will it be of the new majority religion in my capital or could I use that to regain my religion?

Update: I spawned a great prophet the normal way through accumulation of faith and he gave me back my religion. (Until the AI planted another GP inside my borders and reversed it again).

I have converted whole ai empire with a great prophet but then they get their prophet they will convert their cities back to their own religion so I think its the same for player that a great prophet can get your religion back from the dead.

I have converted whole ai empire with a great prophet but then they get their prophet they will convert their cities back to their own religion so I think its the same for player that a great prophet can get your religion back from the dead.

Pre-industrial, I haven't tested what the game does in that situation.

Post-industrial they are bought, so will be of the faith of the city they are bought in.

If you then convert all towns that has Islam as major religion, you wipe that religion as active in the world. The founder of the religion can't get propets, inq or missionaries for his original religion either.

Are you sure? If the Civ is left alive They can still earn GP for their religion, though obviously this will be rare, they can also buy missionaries of their religion if they have cities left that are their native religion.

I've conquered Civs and left a rump and they will sometimes send in a GP they earned and bomb their old holy city/capital or core town that I had converted to my religion.

I started a thread about this discussing ways to tell the AI off when they send their GP to their old territory to screw up all the pressure balancing I did to spread my religion to the new territories and earn gold from tithe.

Are you sure? If the Civ is left alive They can still earn GP for their religion, though obviously this will be rare, they can also buy missionaries of their religion if they have cities left that are their native religion.

You buy Greater Prophets after the industrial age, so I'm sure the religion is dead after that.

Pre-industrial GP's is spawned in a town and I would think they have the religion of the town they spawn in, but it's not something I've experienced.

It could make just as much sense that up until the industrial age the Greater Prophet is special and the religion of the town doesn't matter.

I don't believe thats correct, at least before industrial era. If they pop another great prophet from their religion,it will be their original religion. They can then use this to reconvert some cities. After the industrial era, when you must buy the prophets I am not sure as I have never tried it. I know that missionaries will be the same religion as the major religion in the city, not sure if the same is true about the prophets.

I took a Holy City, used a GP to 'enlighten it". and the moniker of Holy City for x was gone. I wanted it as a minor religion for the benes ( pagodas), so even after I sent a missionary from another city that followed the pagan religion to reintroduce the religion in the former capitol, it never got its designation as Holy City for x back. Thought that was odd.

There were likely several cities that still followed the other religion putting pressing on the holy city, thus converting some of those citizens back to the heathen religion. If you use an Inquisitor on the holy city then use a prophet to convert all the other cities, it'll be stamped out for good.

No, there were no cities on the whole map left with my neighbour's religion (Hinduism). The Holy City creates its own pressure at +30.

I also conqured three other holy cities. In two of them I also thought I had eradicated the religion. Nope. The Holy City - by itself - will put pressure on its citizens even if you use an inquisitor/GP to bring the followers of the Holy City's religion to zero.

The screenshot shows my neighbour's Holy City (the Celts, who were following Hinduism). As you can see, it is late game and having left their capital since conversion with a GP to my own religion ("English Church") many decades ago their Holy City is still converting people to Hinduism. There are no other cities following Hinduism.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0007.jpg
    Civ5Screen0007.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 378
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom