Easter Egg Collecting! (spoilers be here)

Somewhat surprised nobody's mentioned this before (though I might have missed it. Just did a quick search for "Lugus"), but a lot of FFH names are directly taken from Celtic mythology.

Lugus = Lugh, the Celtic god of Light
Dagda = "The Good God", head of the pantheon.
Govannon = A Celtic smith-god.
Cerunnos = "The Horned God" (apparantly associated with goats and stags and such)
Sucellus = The Celtic god of agriculture, forests and booze.

Might have missed a few.

Somewhat surprised nobody's mentioned this before (though I might have missed it. Just did a quick search for "Lugus"), but a lot of FFH names are directly taken from Celtic mythology.

Lugus = Lugh, the Celtic god of Light
Dagda = "The Good God", head of the pantheon.
Govannon = A Celtic smith-god.
Cerunnos = "The Horned God" (apparantly associated with goats and stags and such)
Sucellus = The Celtic god of agriculture, forests and booze.

Might have missed a few.

There are tons. Arawn, Nantosuelta and Oghma are others. Using celtic names makes the world sound cohesive, I also liked that they are fairly unknown (compared to greek, egyptian and norse gods) and I really liked their flavor as natural/wild gods. There is little definitive record about celtic mythology so what we have left is almost folklore and dark fables, which always matched well with atmosphere I was trying to create.

"Y" is a vowel in Scandinavian languages. That's why there are a few Scandinavian words that appear to be without vowels in certain syllables. Finnish is in a category of its own, but then again, it's not Scandinavian, it's madness.

Korrigan, the last amurite city (in the XML), is named after a small female dwarf/elf/pixie like creature from Breton mythology

Well...Sky is an english word...

Hmmm... Did a search of the thread, and I've not seen this one mentioned(Could have looked like my arse though :p ), but...

The icon for Sacrifice the Weak is a still from the "Bring out your dead" sequence in Monty Python's Holy Grail.

"I'm not dead!"

Most Kuriotate Cities are named after Cities in the Warhmmer world, (karond Kar, Caledor, Naggarond (Dark elf capital), Avelorn (High Elf Capital), Clar Karond, Lothern, Har ganeth) all of them are either Darkelf cities of High Elf Cities :p

Wheres Athel Loren Kael?? :p

Most Kuriotate Cities are named after Cities in the Warhmmer world, (karond Kar, Caledor, Naggarond (Dark elf capital), Avelorn (High Elf Capital), Clar Karond, Lothern, Har ganeth) all of them are either Darkelf cities of High Elf Cities :p

Wheres Athel Loren Kael?? :p

I actually didn't know that. Some of the city lists are from Haarbal's civs from FfH1. Its good to know though. :)

What happened to Harbaal anyway?

Dont know, he was never on the team but he did a great job creating those temporary civs for FfH1.

What happened to Harbaal anyway?

FfH1 was before my time, but it's a shame to see another dutch FfH player go (Haarbal = Hairball in dutch).

I've never seen him on the boards though, so i recon he was gone before the transition to BtS (which was about the time i joined the bandwagon)

And yes, this def. belongs in the lore section.

he's still active though somewhere on the forums, I just checked the last active and it was today.

one thing i dont think anyones pointed out is the inquisiton sound is from the monty python sketch 'the spanish inquisition.

also there is a rather nasy event whenre your scouts come across a cave covered in bones and corpses with a little white bunny... one of the options is "run away! run away!" again, another monty python's holy grail reference. gotta love that Beast of Aaaaaaaaarrgghh!!!

Top Bottom