Going Wide

Blackknight1239

Chieftain
So, I'm struggling to break through the jump to Emperor, and so I've been looking at a ton of different strategies to help me through it. I've been really interested in going with a wide Empire, setting up with a strong economy and a shot at 3/4 victory conditions, but I'm having trouble finding advice that isn't based around ICS.

At the moment I'm able to hit about turn 60 with 4 cities, all with Lux's grabbed when I settled. I'm not use what to do after that; go in to war to grab a few more cities? Or maybe keep settling every time I can afford to, even if there isn't a lux in the area? Wait to get the NC, then keep going?

I'm trying a lot of Arabia and Maya, though I haven't played half these guys yet and I'll willing to try anything interesting. Any tips?

Starting four cities with Tradition, the National College, and Composite Bowmen is a very good start (if done within 70-90 turns). If there are no good city placements after that, going conquering is a good way to get more cities. You can leave them as puppets for a while so that you can finish up the good national wonders, then annex the ones with good production.

Stopping at 4 cities to grab the NC can be a good plan, but you should evaluate your options. If your a low production Mayan capital with the messengers of the gods pantheon and you have the settler bonus social policy is NC still a good plan? Maybe not. Look at your options and evaluate whats best for your current civ. At four cities if you're going tall you should really consider the opportunity costs of settling a 5th city; it's probably not worth it. If you want to expand look to puppet instead (build military). If you're going wide you really should be planning ahead with your religion and social policies as well as settling new luxuries first. When wide getting cities planted asap is key, so settle on the luxuries to speed up your Rex, and even consider trading luxs for AI luxs.

Some time around 1300 BC you should be actively looking to resolve city state requests. A warrior amd a CB can clear a barb camp in a few short turns, even if you have to travel a bit to get there.

Top Bottom