Gulf War Mod

quick question for future, when i make unit requests, would it be easier for you if i found things from google sketchup? Or if you dont use other people work, i can create my own things on sketchup. I am not good @ blender but at sketchup im not that bad

If you find something send it to me. I'll take a look and see what part, if any I can use. You can also send me your sketchup parts as well. Google warehouse unit models often have a very high polycount. The more specific you are as to what you want, the better. In addition, if you find very good 3-way pics, large colored pictures, or can send me the texture of an already created unit that is close(in color) to what you want, that helps to create the textures.

I used the misile cruiser/destroyer textures for my new ships. The Mobile SAMs were textured using an M113 desert texture. That's part of the reason I am able to make them quickly.

Well tell me how I can help, there is so much art that I want done, i wouldnt even know where to start.
I can create things in google sketchup, I can definatly find you texture for almost anything tank or plane wise. I can also reskin most planes or tanks for you. If you got a nice model, do a basic skin (good enouf so ik where the plane/tank is in the DDS) and i can take it from there

For 3-way picks, google sketchup would probably be better no? Thats can basically be used ass a 3 way picture

OK, here is my newest excel sheet. I have it listed so a unit is described as in the database, created(DONE), or in progress. NOthing next to the description means it needs to be made probably. RIght now I'm working on fixing the Hazard Class U.S. Frigate and the Adeleide Class Canadian Frigate. I've listed the exact class of the ships that we need. If you can find one of them or are making updates, just update the spreadsheat and post it please.

There are a lot of units to post, I'll do my best. All buttons are made though. If you want to help make a ship you can just make the tower/everything above the hull. Then I can put it on a ship's hull and animate it. No need to make the gun turrets. Just send me a pic to show me what size you need.

OK, here is my newest excel sheet. I have it listed so a unit is described as in the database, created(DONE), or in progress. NOthing next to the description means it needs to be made probably. RIght now I'm working on fixing the Hazard Class U.S. Frigate and the Adeleide Class Canadian Frigate. I've listed the exact class of the ships that we need. If you can find one of them or are making updates, just update the spreadsheat and post it please.

There are a lot of units to post, I'll do my best. All buttons are made though. If you want to help make a ship you can just make the tower/everything above the hull. Then I can put it on a ship's hull and animate it. No need to make the gun turrets. Just send me a pic to show me what size you need.
Alright cool, im gonna attempt to do something in google sketchup, havent tried anything in a while so ill probably be a bit rusky:lol:

Anyway i didnt mean upload to the sight, just upload them in a whole so it doesnt require much work, so i can start setting it up

Hey Stolenrays can you do me a huge favor? So i decided to try to convert some units from 3DS and it went pretty well. I converted them to nif and found a bunch of cool units and they look pretty cool in nifskope, but when i put them into civ, they always turn up as red blobs (i fricken hate red blobs:lol:) anyway can you check to see what im dong wrong? it will really help because i got a bunch of cool things i want to convert to nif and put in our mod

crap sorry thought i did, here they are

they usually have a very high polycount when i get them, the cannon is like 1.5 MB, and most of the things are to big when i convert tehm nif crashes, but theres a couple good ones. I would try the global hawk since thats probably the most "important" unit, theres a boing 747 i thought you would probably want to do something with

Most of them come unskinned so i don't convert them, but if your interested in skinning them i can find some good units for the mod

Attachments

• stuff.rar
    3.3 MB · Views: 77
Well, my Kuwait Mod already has the 747 scout plane. I've already seen a humvee in the lategame mod I believe, so try and use that one. There is also a predator UAV in the database as well. I don't think we need any of the other ones for the mod. One .nif had no information in it as well.

Red blobs happen when the xml entry does not point to the correct name of the .nif file. I also think it would be easier to make those units t hen to reduce their polycount in blender because of the distortion that would result.

I want to make sure my other promises get the attention they deserve. I'm making units for this mod, buildings for PIE, working on the Sack City Mod, and need to update some other things. We'll get there soon.

Well, my Kuwait Mod already has the 747 scout plane. I've already seen a humvee in the lategame mod I believe, so try and use that one. There is also a predator UAV in the database as well. I don't think we need any of the other ones for the mod. One .nif had no information in it as well.

Red blobs happen when the xml entry does not point to the correct name of the .nif file. I also think it would be easier to make those units t hen to reduce their polycount in blender because of the distortion that would result.

I want to make sure my other promises get the attention they deserve. I'm making units for this mod, buildings for PIE, working on the Sack City Mod, and need to update some other things. We'll get there soon.
Im aware of all of those units but the specific units isnt the point, i want to be able to transfer ew units to nif

also yes ik the red blob means bad xml and ive checked xml so many times its right and still red blob, and the cannons really the only one with that high of polycounts, all im asking it try to set up xml and see whats wrong, not to make new units

attach the artdefines_unit.xml file here, I didn't see any problems with the nif files, but I didn't yet check them in game.

here is what i use for the xml

Code:
<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_WW2_CANNON</Type>
			<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Cannon.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,6,8</Button>
			<fScale>0.53</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.8</fInterfaceScale>
			<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
			<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
			<NIF>Art/Units/WW2cannon/nif.nif</NIF>
			<KFM/>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/WW2cannon/nif.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/CannonShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode/>
				<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<TrailDefinition>
				<Texture>Art/Shared/wheeltread.dds</Texture>
				<fWidth>1.0</fWidth>
				<fLength>180.0</fLength>
				<fTaper>0.0</fTaper>
				<fFadeStartTime>0.2</fFadeStartTime>
				<fFadeFalloff>0.35</fFadeFalloff>
			</TrailDefinition>
			<fBattleDistance>0.5</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bActAsRanged>1</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop>LOOPSTEP_WHEELS</AudioRunTypeLoop>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd>ENDSTEP_WHEELS</AudioRunTypeEnd>
			</AudioRunSounds>
		</UnitArtInfo>
That codes for the WW2 cannon, if you put in a kfm it doesnt even show up, theres no difference if you remove the shadernif

no idea what the problem is

EDIT: The problem is with the nif, not the xml. Since when i place the parthenon in without editing the xml art defines, and it showed up red, which means its not the xml, if the xml was wrong it would show the default parthenon, but it shows a red blob

Im assuming the problem is texturing? The parthenon does not use dds, it uses bmp, but idk how that effects civ, since it doesnt call the dds it calls the nif. Most of the units are skinned within the nif, so im assuming thats the problem

I think I figured out the problem. I checked just one, the helicopter, but I think that this information applies to all the nif problems. I think that the program you used or somebody else used to export the .nif caused some errors. I export with Blender 2.49. I imported then exported using that version and the file works in game now.

If it was a texture problem, the unit would show up and just be pink. If you look at the file structure of your nifs compared to some in game versions that work, you will notice yours only has NiTrishape Nodes.

Are you using Blender, 3DMax, or a 3dmodel converter to create the nifs?

2 New Frigates (guided Missile). Reskin of the Oliver Hazard Perry Class (U.S.) and the Adelaide Class (Canada). The canadian version simply had some different anti-sir systems and an elongated flight deck.

Attachments

• Frigates.jpeg
    Frigates.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 72
I think I figured out the problem. I checked just one, the helicopter, but I think that this information applies to all the nif problems. I think that the program you used or somebody else used to export the .nif caused some errors. I export with Blender 2.49. I imported then exported using that version and the file works in game now.

If it was a texture problem, the unit would show up and just be pink. If you look at the file structure of your nifs compared to some in game versions that work, you will notice yours only has NiTrishape Nodes.

Are you using Blender, 3DMax, or a 3dmodel converter to create the nifs?

No i use nifskope, with nifskope you can import obj and 3DS,

I DLed blender 2.49 but i couldnt export nif with that though?:confused:

Well nevermind the first post, i did what you said and it worked great! Much thanks!!!

Anyway i got two models here, ones a KA-50 Russian Heli, it seems like something you would like only problem is it wasnt used till a couple years after gulf war

Other is a boat that looks like this time period and looks somewhat similar to i think its the osa class

That with the other heli, i dont plan on doing anything with them (Ka-50, when i load in blender, it crashes) so you can use them if you want, specialy the boat it could help. Also merchant ship i uploaded in "stuff" a couple posts up can also be a bse for a boat

Top Bottom