Sino-Japanese War or Russo-Japanese War scenarios?

Patine

Deity
Does anyone know if a Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895 and/or a Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905 scenario was ever made? If so, does anyone have it/them?

I have never seen one. I was thinking about making a Russo-Japanese war scenario on my new Japan/Korea/Manchuria map one of these days, but I wouldn't hold your breath ;)

If anyone wants to make such a scenario themselves they are welcome to use my map!

Attachments

• Japan-Korea-Manchuria.png
    Japan-Korea-Manchuria.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 950
Very nice map.
However Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895 may be not suitable for a CIV2 SCN...
Because the performance of Chinese Manchu dynasty army and navy is just......ridiculous poor. Both sides bought most of their ship from Europe, especially Britain, and both fleets have a similar scale to each other, but the battle resulted to be very much lean to one side.
And the ground battle is no less ridiculous. A major general of one side abandoned the troops, run on himself, in a not very dangerous situation......You know which side it is.
CIV2 can not represent what corruption impacts on the capability of combat forces. It affects much more than "Veteran or Not". It would seems a Rifleman against Spearman battle.

A Sino-Japanese scenario could be played with rather strictly enforced house rules.

Very nice map.
However Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895 may be not suitable for a CIV2 SCN...
Because the performance of Chinese Manchu dynasty army and navy is just......ridiculous poor. Both sides bought most of their ship from Europe, especially Britain, and both fleets have a similar scale to each other, but the battle resulted to be very much lean to one side.
And the ground battle is no less ridiculous. A major general of one side abandoned the troops, run on himself, in a not very dangerous situation......You know which side it is.
CIV2 can not represent what corruption impacts on the capability of combat forces. It affects much more than "Veteran or Not". It would seems a Rifleman against Spearman battle.

Just have the Chinese units have worse stats. Unit stats do not represent solely technological firepower and superiority but overall unit effectiveness.
A poorly led and trained unit with good equipment should have lower stats than a highly motivated but more poorly equipped opponent.
Arabs versus Persians comes to mind.

Just have the Chinese units have worse stats. Unit stats do not represent solely technological firepower and superiority but overall unit effectiveness.
A poorly led and trained unit with good equipment should have lower stats than a highly motivated but more poorly equipped opponent.
Arabs versus Persians comes to mind.

You are right that a worse stats may represent the poor leading and training on general. But what happened to the Manchu dynasty army is something like you don't know how many forces you have, you don't know where they are, and they don't always follow you mouse click command...:eek: Anyway your method is workable, but not enough IMO.

Yet there is another problem, the naval battle infulenced a lot on this war, because both side rely heavily on sea logistics, especially the Japanese. How can this be represented?
To use Events? Cut a certain amount unit reinforcement for each capital ship sunk?

I ask because I'm somewhat interested in doing both wars in the near future. If you could send me that map, McMonkey, I'd greatly appreciate it. My e-mail is still chandallah@netscape.net. I'll probably need graphics eventually, but I'll worry about that when I officially start.

I ask because I'm somewhat interested in doing both wars in the near future. If you could send me that map, McMonkey, I'd greatly appreciate it. My e-mail is still chandallah@netscape.net. I'll probably need graphics eventually, but I'll worry about that when I officially start.

Map sent. Good luck with these projects!

I vaguely recall playing a not-very-good Russo-Japanese War scenario a long time ago. ...not that that's of much help! It would be a fairly easy war to make a good scenario out of - the number of units involved was fairly small for much of the war, and it revolved around a small number of major objectives.

I was thinking about making a small duel scenario set in modern times for a brief Sino-Soviet or Sino-Russo conflict in Manchuria or the little border the countries have between Kazakhstan and Mongolia.

That would be a fantastic map for a hypothetical "Downfall" scenario, McMonkey. If I ever get Over the Reich running I might have to ask you for the download link :)

To be honest - I reckon a good scenario should feature a small amount of units and limited major objectives!

;)

Though if I’m not mistaken, weren’t both the naval forces of the Russian Empire and Imperial Japan very diverse during the Battle of Tsushima?

That would be a fantastic map for a hypothetical "Downfall" scenario, McMonkey. If I ever get Over the Reich running I might have to ask you for the download link :)

Your more than welcome to use it. I just need to finish off the terrain in Manchuria and Siberia before it is finished. I have built this map for a multiplayer scenario called Shogun (until I can think of something more original), but if it can be used several times that's great!

I've done some research lately on the Russo-Japanese War, and it could be quite the intriguing scenario. The map's perfect, too. Other than the two main belligerents and probably the Chinese, are there anymore players really needed or relevant? There was mention in my sources of British interests, but I'm not sure if anything could be made of them.

Hi Patrick, it's been 4+ years since we last corresponded. Time sure flies and RL moves on.

Ever think about resuscitating EotRS? Like any good packrat, I still have all the playtest etc. I did.

Hmm...I got an idea.

What about a scenario that has a timeline like 1900-1920 where there are civ's like Russians,Japs,Chinese,Germans (Qindao is in that map's radius),Bolsheviks and somebody else maybe...might be cool,who knows.There will be the Russo-Japanese war,First Sino-Japanese,Russian Civil war,siege of Quindao...eh ?

:)

@AGRICOLA: Good to see you again as well! I could take up EotRS again (I still have all the files), but problem is I can't actually play it through. My choice.com file doesn't work on Windows 7, and even the one Mercator linked to doesn't work either. If any has/can make a 64-bit choice.com file, I'd be most grateful and could easily finish EotRS and other scenarios needing multiple events.txt files.

@Strelok22: An interesting idea there, though it'd need to start around 1890 to include the First Sino-Japanese War. It's certainly worth considering.

Top Bottom