[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

Are you sure?
For me, it works. I need water and oxygen to expand my empire.
I ment as theres lots of water, and little oxygen, the oxygen becomes the limit.

Uh, really?
I'll have a look at it, there should be more oxygen.
The mars 18 civ scenario.

When you've build the national wonder "First Contact To Earth", you can always build the "request oxygen from earth" national wonder :).
The request oxygen is a nation wonder in my game set at a limit of 1? 3 oxygen from command center +1 from request is the 4 limit i spoke of.

I ment as theres lots of water, and little oxygen, the oxygen becomes the limit.

Ah, okay.
Strange: When i and my beta-testers tried out my mapscript, it happened in the other way, there was near no water, and enough oxygen.

The mars 18 civ scenario.

I'll have a look at it.

The request oxygen is a nation wonder in my game set at a limit of 1? 3 oxygen from command center +1 from request is the 4 limit i spoke of.

Have you tried to build it ;)?
When all is working right, you could always build it new, so that you can't run out of it :).

Have you tried to build it ;)?
When all is working right, you could always build it new, so that you can't run out of it :).

Yes, i have the first contact and the request for oxygen built, the request no longer shows in teh build options, and when i hover over it in the list of buildings it shows (Nation Wonder: 0 Left)

The_J said:
This has to be done separatly.
With the technology "martian calendar" (i hope i'm right, my memory is not the best :D) you can "chop" the sand and magnetic storms.
I thought that, but I don't get any buttons for doing so. Is there a hotkey?

The_J said:
Would you suggest more resources, a civic or something else?
There are already lots of different resources (which I think is cool - diversity rocks).
A civic might be a good solution, but I can't imagine a good background...
A simple building might do it - radio tower or something - you know keeping the little squids entertained :)

The_J said:
Are you really running out of money?
I thought, the limited cities would prevent that.
If you manage to build "Sightseeing platform" and get some big merchants, it's no problem, but if you don't you get problems with "distance to palace" and maybe unit support.

The_J said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've also thought about it, i'll change it.
cool!

The_J said:
Yes, the balancing, it has all to be done, and it's not easy.

I can imagine that. But thats what the forum is for. This one, and apolyton is good, too. And don't get rusched - if you lack ideas, then just wait till you get some. As long as you don't completely abandon this cool mod everything is fine :)
There are too much good mods dying halfway finished - have you seen Fury road? Like that.

It's a pity I cant code or mod for . .. .. .. . - I'd love to get a traco on those CtDs.

BTW - health is troublesome, too if you don't get plenty of resources...

And another tiny thing: You translated the english "solar energy" - the energy is still spelled german (energie). Should be easy to fix.

There was something else I wanted to tell, but I lost it. Will tell you as soon as it enters by brain again :)

EDIT: Now I got it - what triggers global warning? Unhealth? since it happens quite a lot.

Damn, you're right.
It's a bug in my code, i'll fix it in the next patch, witch will come next weekend.

Am i right, that it works with the water request?

no, i had never built a water request and just tested it now. The water request replaced the oxygen request in the list of buildings, is no longer buildable, and the oxygen request became buildable. The Oxygen resouce from it remained (4 oxy both before and after), even though the request oxygen building was no longer listed.

I then built the oxygen request again, now both the water and oxygen request are listed as built, both are not buildable (Nation Wonder: 0 left), but am now at 5 oxygen.

I thought that, but I don't get any buttons for doing so. Is there a hotkey?

There should be the normal button for chopping (i'm searching for a new one).

There are already lots of different resources (which I think is cool - diversity rocks).
A civic might be a good solution, but I can't imagine a good background...
A simple building might do it - radio tower or something - you know keeping the little squids entertained :)

I'm having the same problems with the background.
I'll think about a new early building.

If you manage to build "Sightseeing platform" and get some big merchants, it's no problem, but if you don't you get problems with "distance to palace" and maybe unit support.

Should i lower the cost for the palace distance?
Because the resources require a settling far away from the palace.

I can imagine that. But thats what the forum is for. This one, and apolyton is good, too. And don't get rusched - if you lack ideas, then just wait till you get some. As long as you don't completely abandon this cool mod everything is fine :)
There are too much good mods dying halfway finished - have you seen Fury road? Like that.

Maybe the same will happen to my mod, because i'm having very less time :(, but i don't want it to be lost here :(.
But i'll be here and hear every new idea :).

It's a pity I cant code or mod for . .. .. .. . - I'd love to get a traco on those CtDs.

Yes, i too :(.

BTW - health is troublesome, too if you don't get plenty of resources...

I think, the health would be a problem in real life too :D.
No, serious: Planing the settling is important.

And another tiny thing: You translated the english "solar energy" - the energy is still spelled german (energie). Should be easy to fix.

The easiest thing to fix :).

There was something else I wanted to tell, but I lost it. Will tell you as soon as it enters by brain again :)

I'm happy, when new ideas are suggested :).

EDIT: Now I got it - what triggers global warning? Unhealth? since it happens quite a lot.

Nothing of them.
Some buildings have a small change of advances in terraforming, and this is the only thing, which affects it.
Is it really too high?

no, i had never built a water request and just tested it now. The water request replaced the oxygen request in the list of buildings, is no longer buildable, and the oxygen request became buildable. The Oxygen resouce from it remained (4 oxy both before and after), even though the request oxygen building was no longer listed.

I then built the oxygen request again, now both the water and oxygen request are listed as built, both are not buildable (Nation Wonder: 0 left), but am now at 5 oxygen.

Okay, thanks for the testing :), i see the problem, i'll fix it with the patch next weekend.

You have to help me, i can't find it :(.

Well, there is one in the territory of the civ to the NE of mine (the savegame's civ), near the border.

Did you change the pc or the account for playing?

No way! I just loaded the game and it appeared like that. Very weird. (After it didn't change back the next turn I started a new game.)

>There should be the normal button for chopping (i'm searching for a new one).

Strange - doesn't appear in my game.

>Should i lower the cost for the palace distance?
>Because the resources require a settling far away from the palace.

Might be a good idea. Or, if you like it complicated - lower the cost as soon as the city is connected to the capital via Transportation system.

>Maybe the same will happen to my mod, because i'm having very less time :(, but i >don't want it to be lost here :(.
>But i'll be here and hear every new idea :).

That's bad. Less time is often not really the problem - slow progress is a progress, too.
In my case it's mostly loosing interest on something after some time - thats the cause I never learned modding because I knew I aind got the endurance for it.
If you ever really want to give it up and it's not finished - please make sure you find someone to continue it first.

>I think, the health would be a problem in real life too :D.
>No, serious: Planing the settling is important.

I guessed that in my second game - much better now :)

>Nothing of them.
>Some buildings have a small change of advances in terraforming, and this is the only >thing, which affects it.
>Is it really too high?

Oh, then maybe I just got it wrong - so it isn't worsening the terrain when it sais "Global warming strikes near xxx" it's the terraforming process!
Maybe just change the text to something like "Your Settlers terraformed an area near xxx"

I was really kind of shocked when I took ESA in my second game and founded my first citey ad saw - the capital is "Darmstadt" - hell thats 10 km away from me :D
Thinking about it, it fits - the ground control of the esa IS in Darmstadt.

You said you're looking for a "chopping icon".
I'm not the greatest artist or something, but I fiddled with Gimp a little and made something that looks quite good. Only drawback - It's a vehicle, and ingame it's "construction ships". But I think the Icon will be so small, It wont be noticed that there are tracks under it :)

If you need it in DDS format - I can't do that right now (I'm at work), but wil gladly provide it in DDS as soon as I get home. Just tell me.

Attachments

• ChoppingIcon.zip
    48.1 KB · Views: 318
OK, I've tried now to play with another civilization and even tried to reinstall the MOD.
I've even tried the HUD-Patch vor Civ4Gold wich made me have to reinstall the Mod again... The copping icon is definetly missing, and pressing ALT+C (chop forest) yields no response. Seems like something is messed up with my game if it normally works.
Strange that it works in other mods, tho. If I find the time, I'll reinstall the whole game and test it again...

I was looking again at the 18 civ mars scenerio and the northern half of the map does have quite a few oxygen (10+) between the plains and the deserts there. But the enitre southern half of the map only has 1 or 2. Near where korea starts for example.

Yeah, definitely seeing the same problem here War Chicken. If I can chop away the storms, it's not appearing as an option. I haven't tried the shortcuts though...but I prefer the buttons, so if it can be fixed, I'd really appreciate it.

And may I just say, I appreciate all the effort you've put into this The_J. Thank you so much...though it's not done yet, it's already a lot, and quite fun.

Edit: Thanks, tssha :).

The error will be fixed (see belwo).

Well, there is one in the territory of the civ to the NE of mine (the savegame's civ), near the border.

Sorry, can't find it.
Can you take a screenshot?

Could also be a bigger error. A german user also had a red blob, and gave me a savegame and a screenshot, but in the savegame (same year, same round, etc) there are other units at this place :confused:.

No way! I just loaded the game and it appeared like that. Very weird. (After it didn't change back the next turn I started a new game.)

Strange, should not appear :confused:.
I know, where the original error comes from (but i don't know, if your error is exactly the same), and it would surely take me more than one weekend to fix it.

Technical details:
Spoiler :
The error is caused (in my opinion) through failing reading of the registry, which comes, when you don't have admin rights (like i said in the first post for vista-users and users without admin rights), so i don't know, why the error here appears.
I could avoid the registry reading (besides one first time) through creating a .txt file, where i place the registry path after the first reading, and the game tries to read this file for every following start. But i don't know anything about file I/O in python, so it would take some hours to figure it out.
I've seen, that some mods (RotK and Fury Road) are using special logs, so they have a file output (through python?), maybe i can look, how they do it. But the problem is not soooo important in my opinion, and it would consume much time, so it has not a high priority.

Strange - doesn't appear in my game.

Sorry, i made a mistake :blush: in the chopping-definition, so that it has no effect and doesn't appear in the game.
Will be fixed at the weekend.

Might be a good idea. Or, if you like it complicated - lower the cost as soon as the city is connected to the capital via Transportation system.

This is to complicated at the moment. Higher trade route output would do the same, i think.
2 users in the german forum said, that they have enough money, and no one complained about to little money, so i'll wait a bit.

That's bad. Less time is often not really the problem - slow progress is a progress, too.
In my case it's mostly loosing interest on something after some time - thats the cause I never learned modding because I knew I aind got the endurance for it.
If you ever really want to give it up and it's not finished - please make sure you find someone to continue it first.

Yes, i also thought, i would not have the endurance, but after a special point, there was "no way back". I've put work in it, and it would annoy me, when my project would fail, i will not lose the interest (i hope).

I guessed that in my second game - much better now :)

Good to hear :). There's always a learning phase in every mod.

Oh, then maybe I just got it wrong - so it isn't worsening the terrain when it sais "Global warming strikes near xxx" it's the terraforming process!
Maybe just change the text to something like "Your Settlers terraformed an area near xxx"

:hmm: i thought, i changed that.

I was really kind of shocked when I took ESA in my second game and founded my first citey ad saw - the capital is "Darmstadt" - hell thats 10 km away from me :D
Thinking about it, it fits - the ground control of the esa IS in Darmstadt.

:cool: another hessian.

I know, where the ESOC is ;).

You said you're looking for a "chopping icon".
I'm not the greatest artist or something, but I fiddled with Gimp a little and made something that looks quite good. Only drawback - It's a vehicle, and ingame it's "construction ships". But I think the Icon will be so small, It wont be noticed that there are tracks under it :)

If you need it in DDS format - I can't do that right now (I'm at work), but wil gladly provide it in DDS as soon as I get home. Just tell me.

I will convert it myself, it's no problem :).
Size is good, most buttons can't be bigger than 64*64.
I think, i'll use it :).

I was looking again at the 18 civ mars scenerio and the northern half of the map does have quite a few oxygen (10+) between the plains and the deserts there. But the enitre southern half of the map only has 1 or 2. Near where korea starts for example.

I'll look at it.
I didn't create this map (it was Garret), i've only converted it for my mod (changed some things automatically with notepad), but my changes weren't balanced :(, i should have looked at it earlier.

Yeah, forget about the money problem.
It was caused the same way as the health thing - it's much more important in this mod where exactly you place your cities and what terrain enhancements you build than in normal BtS - This wasn't clear to me in the beginning.

Concerning the terraform/global warming thing.
I'm not sure now you say it - I played my first game without patch.
Maybe it only appeared there. I'm sure I have seen the new text "your settlers made an advance in terraforming" in the last game with patch - so if you have fixed it in the patch, it IS fixed. Should I run across the old message once more, I'll tell you.

What caused the chopping problem? The registry thingy? That'd be a strange one, because I have admin rights and all that...

I'll get over to Apolyton tomorrow. If this is your main place, why not go there AND it's easyer to write in german. See you there.

Yeah, forget about the money problem.
It was caused the same way as the health thing - it's much more important in this mod where exactly you place your cities and what terrain enhancements you build than in normal BtS - This wasn't clear to me in the beginning.

Thanks for this feedback :).
Yes, the city planing is real important, and it's supposed to be, because it should not be easy, to settle a whole foreign planet.

What caused the chopping problem? The registry thingy? That'd be a strange one, because I have admin rights and all that...

No, more stupid.
The chopping event had as a prereq a sand or magnet storm, but it didn't remove the sand/magnet storm. It was just one number.

I'll get over to Apolyton tomorrow. If this is your main place, why not go there AND it's easyer to write in german. See you there.

My german presence is here, when you're interested :).

Great mod!I've made some interface improvements to the menu and map creator.Screenshots and mod are attached to this post.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0216.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0216.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 313
  • Civ4ScreenShot0218.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0218.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 335
  • Civ4ScreenShot0231.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0231.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 310
  • Civ4ScreenShot0221.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0221.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 316
  • Interface.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 279
Patch B will come tomorrow :).

Also here: :goodjob: a nice unit.

I'm thinking of including it as a UU.

Great mod!I've made some interface improvements to the menu and map creator.Screenshots and mod are attached to this post.

Nice :goodjob:.
I'll try to add it :).

How did you manage to change the worldpicker?
Everytime i tried it, it didn't show up correctly :(.

--------------------------------------------------

Other things:
I'm thinking of making the civs more unique, through giving them "unique powers".
Current state (not implemented, will not come with the next patch, just my thoughts):
NASA: starts with christianity.
Israel: " " judaism.
OPEC: " " islam; UUs: All units, which normally require oil, don't need it.
ISRO: " " hinduism.
JAXA: " " shintoism; UB robot factory.
China: More productive mines.
Russia: UU Mammoth Tank; UB for corthouse with more :espionage:.
The Jail: Gets techs through conquering cities
Korea: UU Plasma Infantry
Africa: Faster "Cottages"
ESA: UB for townhall with more :)
Mars Colonists: Can "request" water and oxygen in every city, without "first contact to earth".

Nothing at the moment:
South America
Canada
Private Space Explorers

I'm searching for more ideas :).

Top Bottom