Opinions of Accelerated Production?

Psychlone

Architect of Aggression
So after a year away from Civ 3, I started playing again, with the new accelerated production. I tried playing without that the other day and it's totally ruined my edge, I am getting stomped.

Just curious about peoples' opinions for or against accelerated production.

I have played nothing but accelerated production in most of my PBEM games and all of my hotseat games.

And in my current tournament game and the GOTM, it is a huge jump going back to non AP.

But I really like AP, makes for some very interesting games.

I always seem to play accelerated production. I hate waiting around forever to get techs. There are some instances were I want to play long and extended games. These are usually huge maps with as little ocean as possible.

P.S. This is my 300th post!!!

[dance] [party] :band: [party]

Ever since I played my first accelerated game, all the games I've been playing from that time on has been accelerated.

I've played with accelerated production for a while. Then I started to play games without it. I went through what could best described as "AP withdrawal". It wasn't pretty... but I'm now used to non-AP games again.

It seems once you go AP, you don't go back. . . I use AP, and wouldn't have it any other way.

A lady on my civ3 email loop summed it up this way: Why wait for anything?

Not tried AP yet. I think about it, and then I wonder if it will be all rush and no tactics... so put it off until the next game.... and the next.... :p

I don't use AP, don't like it. The way it compresses the playing time doesn't feel right. That and while everything else gets doubled, movement rate stays the same and workers still work the same pace, it just skews the game into something else that I'm not interested in playing. Only reason I would play it would be in a PBEM game, just because it would be such a pain to pass around those save files and anything that gets the game over faster is probably worth it.

AP in many ways lowers the difficulty level of the game. The AI isn't all that good at minimizing spillover (both food and production) without AP, and I'm sure it's worse with it. At higher difficulty levels they don't need a commerce/research boost at all either because of the 4 turn tech limit and the player will just end up with all the AI's cash anyways through smart trading. I almost never get even half what I could from the AI for a trade because they are so strapped for cash with the default rules.

Basically, it just gives the players a bonus against the AI. The player can alter their terrain improvements and build orders so as to minimize production and food spillover.

there is no realistic timeline to Civ 3.

play without AP: start spaceship before man set foot on the moon.
pay with AP: start spaceship before man set foot on the moon.

so: no realistic time-line in Civ 3 anyhow-

Just be careful with invading AI cities that have a lot of food around. In Despotism, the AI will pop-rush those spearmen like crazy, since population now grows twice as fast.

Ap makes the game go a little too fast. I mean, having 50+ cities without warring before AD. is a little too fast.

It can go a little fast...

I once lowered the tech rate on a tiny map by 20 and had AP. I had riflemen before I had all my cities connected, and being ahead technologically, my newly created SoD of Medieval Infantry were going up against Infantry.

I never really tried AP. I will now, since you guys generally think it's great. Is it as addicting as the game itself? (This is not to be answered)

I don't like AP. It is bad enough in the full game that I complete all the buildings quickly and end up having to build military units or wealth without AP doing that in double-quick time.

With the rapidity of development the game technology to timeline also gets more distorted, something that I don't like neither. Furthermore I don't really see the need of it, just increasing the number of units, how quickly things are built does not make the game more enjoyable as far as I'm concerned.

You can keep it.

Top Bottom