Gauls and Romans: GOTM 93 as a Succession Game

Prof. Garfield

Deity
Supporter
Well, here is the next Succession Game. I decided to go with Magic Gorter's suggestion and start GOTM 93 over again. We are the Gauls, facing a technologically advanced and large Roman Empire.

(1) Jan 0: Hut: 50g.
(2) Feb 0: …
(3) Feb 1: Build Cardiff, will employ the size 1 trick; work forest.
(4) Feb 2: Begin Alphabet. Decide 8 gold to save 1 turn in production is a bit steep, so I will wait until next turn to rush the warrior.
(5) Feb 3: Rush 4s for 8 gold. Settler will be done in 10 turns.
(6) Feb 4: Romans begin Mike’s Chapel, Hanging Gardens.
(7) Feb 5: …
(8) Feb 6: Romans nearly complete Mike’s Chapel and Hanging Gardens in lots of cities.
(9) Feb 7: Romans Build Mike’s Chapel, Hanging Gardens, Adam Smith’s Trading Co, and switch to Bach’s Cathedral.
(10) Feb 8: …
(11) Feb 9: Romans build Bach’s Cathedral, switch to Leos, build King Richard’s Crusade.
(12) Feb 10: …
(13) Feb 11: Alphabet, begin Code of Laws.
(14) Feb 12: …
(15) Feb 13: Romans nearly finished Leo’s. Cardiff settler.

This is a Prince level game, so I recommend that we tech towards republic for our government.

I recommend teching towards espionage as quickly as possible, so that we can employ spies against the Romans. I remember employing this tactic when I played the GOTM with success (except for the fact that I didn’t bother to clean up the pollution, which ruined my score). The absence of tech hiding should make this easier.

The next player can decide if we want to employ the size 1 trick again, or build a warrior to try to find huts. I’m leaning a little towards using the size 1 trick again.

Attachments

• 0JAN.SAV
    135.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 13FEB.SAV
    138.8 KB · Views: 259
feb-13 (preturn)
feb-14 (turn 1) Romans build Leonardo's + Magellan's / changed to Statue of Liberty+ Colossus
feb-15 (turn 2) Romans build Colossus
feb-16 (turn 3)
feb-17 (turn 4)
feb-18 (turn 5)
feb-19 (turn 6)
feb-20 (turn 7) Romans build Sun Tzu
feb-21 (turn 8)
feb-22 (turn 9) 2nd settler (size 1 trick) / Kells build at 14,18)
feb-23 (turn 10)
feb-24 (turn 11) Romans build Statue of Liberty / start building Great Library
feb-25 (turn 12) Great Library build / start building Copernicus + Shakespeare / we discover Code of Laws->Writing
feb-26 (turn 13) Copernicus build
feb-27 (turn 14) Shakespeare build / start Marco Polo / hut->warrior code :cry:
feb-28 (turn 15) build Carmarthen

Attachments

• 28FEB.SAV
    140.2 KB · Views: 214
In the very early game, there's not much to do besides tech for a better government, explore, and build settlers. Mission accepted!

feb-28 (preturn) Celts destroyed by Romans..?
feb-29 (turn 1) Romans complete MPE, destroy Germania.
feb-30 (turn 2)
feb-31 (turn 3)
feb-32 (turn 4) Writing->Literacy
feb-33 (turn 5) hut 50g
feb-34 (turn 6)
feb-35 (turn 7) hut Burial, Rome begins Eiffel
feb-36 (turn 8)
feb-37 (turn 9) Rome begins Darwin. Kells settler, Cardiff settler
feb-38 (turn 10)
feb-39 (turn 11)
feb-40 (turn 12) Rome begins Suffrage. Literacy->Republic
feb-41 (turn 13) Armagh founded.
feb-42 (turn 14) Rome completes Suffrage, Darwin
feb-43 (turn 15)

View attachment 43FEB.SAV

I might have some time to play, but RL is unusually heavy on me ever since school restarted, so I probably won't be able to play until October... but I'm still interested.

I finally have some time now.

Anyways, we're nearing Republic, and with it celebrations. But we're still in settler mode, and city sizes are nowhere near size 3. After Republic, we could have cities hit size 3 in about 10-15 turns, and then celebrate. I think all cities (and a new one at (23, 21)) would be size 3 in 15 turns, with all but Cardiff going to size 5-6 if they get temples.

Now, what to produce instead of settlers (The Carmathen settler will still be produced). Explorers (this implies diplomats) or temples for celebration? I'm leaning towards temples for the majority of cases, except for Cardiff bc not enough food. When cities are done celebrating, more settlers to build roads, some ships and start trade. This also implies teching for Trade and Map Making. 16/28 beakers. Next oedo year in 3 turns, will play with tax rate.

Comments, suggestions?

EDIT: Since we're replaying an old GOTM (with some former players here that already played this map, hence the ''known'' factor) are we allowed to look at the MapEditor?

I wouldn't really worry about celebrations at the moment. Teching to republic was largely for the extra trade and lower corruption. We might want to wait until we have a few more cities before we start some celebrations, since we'll need to build a fair number of roads to make larger cities worthwhile.

EDIT: Since we're replaying an old GOTM (with some former players here that already played this map, hence the ''known'' factor) are we allowed to look at the MapEditor?

Magic suggested the game, so he should probably have the final say. I don't mind looking at the Map Editor, since, as you say, this map is somewhat known to a few of us (though all I really remember is the overall shape of the continents and the location of the Romans).

Already at turn 14 of my turns at time of reading... no turning back now. Here is the log.

Feb-43(this makes no sense) Turn 0: Switch Cardiff to diplomat. Switch Armagh and Kells to Temple. When they’ll be done, Trireme/dip/settler. T5L0S5 to slow down science. 16/28 beakers.
Interturn: Romans build Eiffel.

Feb44 (turn 1) Carmathen builds settlers. 19/28beakers. T4L0S6.
Inerturn: Roman capital moved to Venice.

Feb45(turn2) T6L0S4, Republic next year for instant revolution. Caernafon built, temple started.
Interturn: Roman capital moved to Bergen.

Feb46(turn3) Discover Republic, start Map Making. REVOLUTION. What? No govt change? We are indeed at turn 48... must be because it’s a scenario. My bad I guess... T4L0S6. Rush a shield in Cardiff.
Interturn: Roman capital moved to... not recording these anymore.

Feb47(turn4) REPUBLIC. Phew. T2L0S8. Techrate 2 turns! I’ll just gun thru to get to Seafaring and Trade ASAP. Explore and hopefully find some trading partners, even if I feel like we’ll have none of them. We’ll see if I’m able to grow Cardiff too.

Feb48 (turn5) Cartography, start Currency. Rush 2s in Cardiff, switch production to Trireme.

Fev50 (turn6) The game skipped a day for some random reason... anyways, Tintagel built. Start temple.
Interturn: Romans start Hoover Dam.

Fev51 (turn 7) Pop exceeds 100k.

Fex52 (turn 8) Discover Currency, start Trade. Switch worker to silk in Caernafon.

Fev53(turn9)...

Fex54(turn10) Discover Trade, start Mysticism. Kells temple, start dip. Commodities are OK, but no hides.
Interturn: Romans start CfC.

Fev55 (turn11) Armagh temple, start dip. Hut: BARBARIANS. A single... Cavalry unit!?! Ouch! Dips will be needed. At least it's the Cardiff warrior, so the trireme about to be built won’t have to worry about happiness.
Interturn: Barb cavalry easily kills Warrior, wanders in the dark.

Fev56 (turn12) Discover Mysticism, start Pottery. Population above 200k citizens, Kells hits size 3, workers changed to forest. Cardiff trireme unveils fish, worker switched.

Fev57 (turn13) ...
Interturn: Romans start CfC again.

Fev58 (turn 14) Discover Pottery, start Seafaring.

Fev59 (turn 15) Caernafon temple, start settlers.

But things are looking healthy, thanks to food specials: in 5 turns we'll be able to start celebrating our 6 cities at the same time (with temples) to at least size 6-7 without harbours. Techrate is hovering between 2 and 3 turns. Kells only size 3, but the other cities will grow shortly.

Anyways, I think that settlers are the priority after celebration's over, and maybe another boat (Armagh?) for transportation of settlers from cities where unoccupied land is not near. Kells has a dip ready in 2 turns, it can mount the boat SE. Armagh can rush its own dip when needed: explore south, meet some civs, yada yada.

As for the barb cavalry, I don't think it's going to be an issue. Dip if needed.

Attachments

• 59FEV.SAV
    143.4 KB · Views: 194
As for the Romans, when you look at find city you also get their location since they built a huge load of wonders.

I think that I'm next in line, since no one else seems to have volunteered to play in the few weeks between Mackerel and Jokemaster. If there are any lurkers out there, this game is played at PRINCE level and you are welcome to join.

Now, read the log of Garfield the Second, known to posterity as "The Foolish."

Goals: Celebrate cities to size 6. Send out diplomats to eventually find Roman cities to steal their secrets. Tech towards ultimate goal of espionage (most things are on that path anyway, so this is moot). Expand if time permits.

(0) Feb 59: Switch Cardiff from Fish to Forest for extra shields.
(1) Feb 60: Romans begin Cure for Cancer. Kells diplomat. Seafaring, begin Masonry. Since we can't get Mike's Chapel, we don't need to tech for Monotheism (I think we'll be better off with smaller cities, rather than building Cathedrals everywhere), and Masonry opens up the techs that are useful immediately.
(2) Feb 61: Romans build Hoover Dam. Romans change from Hoover to SETI. Carmarthen Temple, begin Diplomat. Hut: Advanced Tribe Caerphilly!
(3) Feb 62: Armagh diplomat.
(4) Feb 63: Romans get Cure for Cancer. Masonry, begin Construction.
(5) Feb 64: Tintagel Temple. T3S2L5. Rush Cardiff Temple for 32g. Hut gives 100g.
(6) Feb 65: WLTCD in all but Caerphilly. Cardiff temple. Rush 2s in Caerphilly.
(7) Feb 66: Romans build SETI. Kells diplomat. Rush 2s in Armagh, Tintagel. Play around with production.
(8) Feb 67: Luxuries to 70%. Spend treasury from 234 down to 146 on settlers.
(9) Feb 68: Construction, begin Philosophy. Rush 4s in Caerphilly.
(10) Feb 69: Settlers from Caernarfon, Armagh, Carmarthen, and Kells. This is a massive error, because I thought that the cities in question would grow to size 7 before producing the settlers, leaving them at size 6, rather than producing at size 6, and cancelling the celebration at size 5. Should have known better, because you can build improvements to keep a celebration going. Science to 80%

Notes:

Carmarthen needs a square irrigated immediately. I've dispatched the Kells and Carmarthen settlers for the job, and I think they will both be needed. Beyond that, you can either make cities with the new settlers, or do some road work. If you raise taxes and make cities as soon as possible, you should be able to afford a set of settlers to be produced AFTER the cities reach size 7. It might be wise to do that, because at the moment we are stuck with temples only making one citizen content.

Overall strategy should be to tech to espionage, because we'll need spies to fight the Romans. This is far in the future (bar meeting the Romans with a diplomat and stealing a good tech from them), so if you think there is anything immediately worthwhile on the way, pick it up. I'd recommend not making cities larger than size 6, because contentment structures would be expensive.

Attachments

• 69FEB.SAV
    143.5 KB · Views: 213
I'd love to join you guys if you'll have me. Does anybody mind if I jump in and take a turn soon?

Go ahead. We don't have too many players at this point. No one has posted to say they are playing, so you can play a set of turns when you have time.

Top Bottom