Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Second Cycle

Monty on Arboria next sounds good to me, followed by Julius Caesar with some neighbours to stomp. My main waffle on JC is whether he should be able to get to everyone pre-Astronomy (with praets) or make him go overseas if he wants to conquer the world. If the former I'd likely go with some galley travel rather than Pangaea; starting with Big and Small, Islands Interspersed can come close to that.

I'll decide tomorrow morning (EDT), so there's still time to comment..

Never done one of these before. Might tag along when the next leaders up :)
I know I'm a little sloppy on some parts of the game, although I can win on prince. Been playing my first (no, second) monarch game - going ok (the ACTUAL first one was diabolical lol) And I've read good things about NC! I'll keep an eye out...
If you wanna blast any tips my way about playing NC, please do. But I think I'll pick it up.

Never done one of these before. Might tag along when the next leaders up :)
I know I'm a little sloppy on some parts of the game, although I can win on prince. Been playing my first (no, second) monarch game - going ok (the ACTUAL first one was diabolical lol) And I've read good things about NC! I'll keep an eye out...
If you wanna blast any tips my way about playing NC, please do. But I think I'll pick it up.

Hmm, for "tips" for playing the series, above all else have fun! If you want feedback, run your game in smaller turn sets and post a discussion of what you did and are planning, with screenshots and a save. That'll net you the most commentary. Just please post everything in spoiler tags, so the rest of us can play the game blind.

Hmm, for "tips" for playing the series, above all else have fun! If you want feedback, run your game in smaller turn sets and post a discussion of what you did and are planning, with screenshots and a save. That'll net you the most commentary. Just please post everything in spoiler tags, so the rest of us can play the game blind.
Will do! I made an imageshack account the other day, I read about posting links for pics rather than attachments
Spoiler :
test :p

I just had an interesting bonehead moment that caused me to realize a fun option for playing these. Out of reflex I started up BTS with the Legends of Revolution mod. Being exceptionally slow today I then loaded the scenario for the Noble's Club map I wanted to play (the old Willem map from round one in case anyone cares). It wasn't until the new civs started forming that I realized what I had done. Made for a fun and challenging game.

Just tossing it out there for anyone who likes playing these but wants to shake them up a bit.

It's basically like it's own expansion pack more than a mod. It's fairly complex in terms of what it changes. I originally tried it because of the option to have barbarian cities become their own civs over time (great on any sort of new world type map). I think they have their own forum (which I can't seem to find at the moment) but the main thread I have bookmarked is here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=319235

If I'm counting right we've done Pro not at all, Cre, Exp, Phi, Cha, Ind, and Org once each, and the others twice (Fin, Imp, Agg, Spi). I think that means next should be Pro. Pro/Cha is Churchill and we've done Elizabeth recently. If my summary file is right, Pro/Cre is Gilgamesh, Pro/Exp is Mao, Pro/Phi is Sitting Bull, Pro/Ind is Qin, and nobody is Pro/Org. Mao was too recent (NC 51), which I think cuts out both Chinese leaders for a while, so the choice is Giggles or SB.

Unless there's a great cry for Gilgamesh, I propose Sitting Bull. Since we're trying more different map types this time around, I am thinking of using Great Plains. These are very roughly similar to the USA's great plains: no wrap, mountains/deserts to the west, ocean (Gulf of Mexico) on the southeast, forest in the east, plains in the middle. There's lots of land so I'd add a couple of AIs.

After that I'd plan on using the remaining combinations of used-once traits.

I support SB dominating on his home turf.

Might have to try a longbow rush on Monarch to take advantage of his UB. Haven't tried that strat before...sounds fun.

cas

I might wonderspam to take advantage of his UU. hehe

I have been paying the Nobles Club games for some time now. I also enjoy the multiple start approach in the Pick Your Leader series (and in NC XII - Elizabeth - where all the civs were playable for some reason); I enjoy replaying a game as a different civ to see how it compares, and to see the different outcomes, so that for example I will play a PYL game as 2 or 3 leaders. Is there any way to play a normal NC game as one of the other civs in the game? Pardon my ignorance - I know the PYL games need a WB save for each leader, is there any other way of choosing which leader to play (i.e. what happened in NC XII)?

Top Bottom