Is Empire now in a playable state?

salty mud

Deity
I think that Empire has possibly the most interesting time period of any Total War games. Everyone loves the Romans and Medieval crusades but these are done to death in a variety of other games, books and films. As a game, Empire and its setting are quite unique. As such, I think it would be worth it to give another "try" to the game now the dust has settled, two years after its original disastrous release. With patches and mods, is the game fun? Is it worth installing and playing over Napoleon and Empire? Or is Napoleon: Total War superior in every aspect if you want a musket-era war?

Listing of good mods, that could improve aesthetics, gameplay, immersion, whatever it may be, would be much appreciated and help me as well as others try and give this game another go.

I didn't enjoy Empire that much, both on release and after giving it a try a year later. I rather enjoyed Napoleon though - I didn't play it that much, but it "felt" better.

I've only put about a dozen or so hours into it (just got it recently) but I'm enjoying it without mods. Of course I can't compare it with it's previous state, but it's been far from boring...

I can Agree, it couldn't compare to Medieval, but it was certainly playable.

Assuming you're talking about M2 and not M1, I still don't quite understand why everyone showers M2 with so much praise. I honestly didn't find it to be a very good game; in fact to me it didn't really seem like anything more than a step back from RTW (and a big one with the release of the expansion). My opinion will certainly change when (if) EB2 ever gets released, but M2 was just...boring (RTW vanilla to a large extent was too). M1 in my mind was this series' peak, although I haven't yet played S2.

I'm going to be Mr. Unpopular Opinion here and say that, yes it's playable, and well worth playing. Have to admit, I enjoyed it more then M2.

Then again, that's just me.

I like Empire a lot. the only problem with gameplay is that the Netherlands is hard to play as effectively. A pirate ship sails into the indies quickly and kills your trade fleet

I got it in a bundle when I bought Medieval 2 a few years ago. I've never bothered with the campaign map and only play the custom battles. That part of the game is still quite buggy, in my opinion. My biggest pet peeve is the AI really likes to begin it's battles by having it's general charge into your ranks head on. Incredibly stupid stuff like that. In fact it often does that with most of it's troops - ignores their guns, and just charges in for a melee. It sucks a lot of fun out of it.

That said, the graphics are quite nice (repetitive faces aside) and I had quite a bit of fun at first just marching my men around in lines and firing off cannons. ;)

I play darth mod and the Empire AI in battles is still horrible. Usually they charge in with their horse too hastily, and leave their flanks hanging in the air. So you simply use your horse to attack the flanks and rear of their army, while your infantry and cannon destory their center. Its the same old thing for the most part from battle to battle.

The other issue are sieges, once you get howitzers you can simply stand off and destroy all enemy troops inside the walls with limeshot and explosive shells. Its long and boring. The thing that would make it better is to play with limited ammo for your artillery. I have not tried that, but the game would be better, becuse you would have to use your manpower to take forts. This makes your campaign more difficult, which makes the game more challenging.

All in all though the AI in this game needs a rework. They should apply the Fall of the Samurai AI to all other Total war games. The AI in these games has evolved quite nicely. The current AI in FoTS has been very challenging. :)

I still only like one Total War game series, and that was Rome Total War done by the original Creative Assembly crew and launched by Activision, i think the coming of Sega screwed everything and the game lost its magic and playability.

I´m awaiting for Rome Total War 2, but if the graphics and gameplay are like Medieval II, Napolean and Shogun, i will be very disappointed.

I still only like one Total War game series, and that was Rome Total War done by the original Creative Assembly crew and launched by Activision, i think the coming of Sega screwed everything and the game lost its magic and playability.

I´m awaiting for Rome Total War 2, but if the graphics and gameplay are like Medieval II, Napolean and Shogun, i will be very disappointed.

They're going to be like those but better. Also, it may not be Rome Total War 2. Although, I would not mind. Triremes and war galleys in naval battles, you can sign me up.

Just went through another game in Empire. It is comparable to Napoleon, but I think battles are more fun in Empire. With a walled city, you can withstand even a large army sieging you

Assuming you're talking about M2 and not M1, I still don't quite understand why everyone showers M2 with so much praise. I honestly didn't find it to be a very good game; in fact to me it didn't really seem like anything more than a step back from RTW (and a big one with the release of the expansion). My opinion will certainly change when (if) EB2 ever gets released, but M2 was just...boring (RTW vanilla to a large extent was too). M1 in my mind was this series' peak, although I haven't yet played S2.

True story. M1 was very, very specific about its graphics requirements, and if you didn't meet them then it was buggerific (smothered in bug?), but otherwise an incredible game. Rather like Civ2, in my opinion. It had its problems, but while successors have been prettier, none can compare to the depth of game play that those games had.

I play with darthmod, and I quite like the game. The campaign AI still isnt the greatest but quite good. The AI occasionally take each other out!

I would have to agree that fort battles are extremely difficult to control and I prefer not to defend from a fort, I just start with all my guys outside except a general to 'hold the square' but otherwise an enjoyable game.

Im still no good with naval battles though when the odds are against me. I can win with even or good odds.

Fort battles are really easy, once you get the hang of them. maybe not as easy as in RTW or medieval, but I have beaten large armies with only armed mobs. Invading is even easier, as rushing some dragoons to the other side as your main infantry charge the front. Once you climb up the walls, you have a whole lot of melee combat, and then finally the outcome is decided. Grenadiers are helpful if you blow a whole in the enemy wall, or if you are trying to defend a hole yourself.

Top Bottom