Europe to India Map (340x200)

Carolus

Chieftain
Europe to India Map, v. 1.0 - done on Conquests

This map, which takes a typical map arrangement for Roman Europe and extends it out to the western coast of India in the east and Ethiopia in the south, has been designed with ancient scenarios in mind, though it's usable for other periods as well (it would work equally well for Alexander the Great or for the early expansion of Islam). The map has been rotated a bit counterclockwise to allow inclusion of all of the Arabian peninsula without needing to depict the entire Sahara desert. The far northern reaches of Scandinavia and Russia have been omitted both in light of their irrelevance in ancient times and in the very large amount of mostly uninhabitable territory they would have provided. Otherwise, the map more or less encompasses the lands known to the ancient Greeks.

Artemisarrow has recently released a map very similar to this on the main customization forum, but it covers a slightly different area and is significantly smaller- we seem to have been working off the same basic idea, though.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Eurindia.map1.zip

and here is an image of it

Attachments

• europe-asiamap.jpg
    europe-asiamap.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 8,695
There appears to be a problem with the download, which is a real shame as the mini-map makes me think that this could be an excellent map.

Yeah, there seems to be a glitch with the whole uploading feature...in any case, here is another image of part of the map to give a better sense of overall scale

Attachments

• italy2.jpg
    italy2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 6,285
the minimap seems really nice. But aren't there way to few forests in italy? I thought Italy was in ancient times (when the game starts) covered with forests?

When will it be able to be downloaded?

mfG mitsho

it should be possible to download it now...please let me know if there are any problems...

regarding the issue of how many forests to place, it's difficult, if not impossible, to know just how much greater the extent of forests in italy was 2000 years ago as opposed to today- italy has been one of the most densely settled and cultivated areas of the world for a long time, so i would suspect there has not been a tremendous change. additionally, much of the country is of the so-called "mediterranean" terrain type, which is dry and not ideal for major temperate forests (an exception is the marches and abruzzo on the eastern side, which remains the most heavily forested area of the country).

trying to represent ancient terrain features is a challenging task, and in my map i tried to keep the changes as basic as possible: i.e. many more forests in northern europe and somewhat more elsewhere, elephants in north africa, and a slightly more hospitable arabian peninsula. otherwise things are depicted more or less as they are today.

Nice work !

I will definitely use it. And it is nice it includes a seaway around Arabia. Of course since I am a perfectionnist a** I will modify a few things but overall you have made a great job. :goodjob:

Hope to see some more from you.

oh yeah sorry, I looked wrong. I thought You didn't loaded it up already, my mistake. YOu can argue about the 'forest-thing' a lot I think.

mfG mitsho

Can anyone do it for Civilization 3? I don't mean Conquest or others, just Civilization3.
I would be very gratefull :)

i think the map is already so large that the editor wouldn't permit it to be extended much further to the east...a map that showed china as well would have to be smaller in scale than this one

I like the map :goodjob:
Is there any way that I can get all the C3C civs onto this map as there is a very limited amount of playable civs on it?

Ok I just worked out how to do it.

OPen up this map in the C3C editor.
File/import data.
Select Rules when the "Import BIC data" dialogue box comes up.
Select Conquests from the Conquests folder.
And Bobs your uncle, all the civs are there waiting to be placed.

I love this map alot. In my first game using this map i am having alot of fun. Here is something that i posted in a different thread of the topic:

I was playing a Diety level game, using Carolus's europe to india map. Me Roman, A.I. enemy at the time Greece. I was invading there territory with a countless number of Cataphractaris(Knights)
and Legionare. They had in defense about 40 phalanx units, i thought i was crazy for going in there but, for some reason they instead of guarding there cities, walked around pillaging everything and left there cities with about 4 phalanx each. So instead of keep there cities and have to rebuild there supply routes they practically gave me there cities and cut my supply routes and never came back to invade me. So i conqueres all of modern day Albania, west Bulgaria, and all of modern day Greece except for the southmost body of land where Sparta was held, and like the Greeks had about 30 phalanx walking around. They were the 3rd strongest civ at the time and had been at war with the Byzantines because i forced them into it by signing an alliance with byzantine thus sripalling both empires and keeping the Greeks busy. They had taken alot of Byzantine territory, but it seemed that they were more concerned with that land than there own.

Once again bueatiful map!

Interesting map. Certainly has some possibilities. :goodjob:

One problem. Spain and Morocco are connecting. Don't know of that was intentional or not. :)

Originally posted by calgacus
Interesting map. Certainly has some possibilities. :goodjob:

One problem. Spain and Morocco are connecting. Don't know of that was intentional or not. :)

Thanks for spotting that, Calgacus- I've just posted a corrected version that no longer has a land bridge there.

You think for an ancient game it would be somewhat realistic to make rivers such as the Nile, tigris and euphraties coast squares?
I have been using this map for the ancient mediterrainian mod and have found that huge rivers spice up the game a little. When I was at war with the Dacians, I sent my Egyptian Galleys through the Danube River and unloaded hell unto there civilization, instead of unloading onto Mac Greek territory and walking all the way over there.

Top Bottom