v23 start problem

Shiawase

Chieftain
Hi again everybody!
Looks like there's something wrong with fresh version of mod - I didn't yet find any mentioning of it on forum so here I am.
Before installing new version, as I always did before, I wiped previous version folder 'caveman 2 cosmos' from mods directory, and later even deleted 'Beyond the sword' folder from Documents folder - yet that didn't help to start the game.
The problem is, when mod starts loading, just a little after it goes to black screen with loading bar, numerous error messages appear one after another looking like those attached. Other mods for Civ4 work correctly.
Using v23 uploaded to Filefront, not SVN.

My note specs:
Win7 x64 with all updates
C2D P8400
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 series
4 Gb RAM
All drivers updated, as usual

Hope you guys solve that when you get time - I've been really waiting for a new version. Thanks for hard work, your mod is my favourite one for Civ4!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 107
due to file size, the mod had to be split up into two parts. Did you download and install both in the same folder?

due to file size, the mod had to be split up into two parts. Did you download and install both in the same folder?

Of course. Here's how my mod folder looks like.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 115
All the .FPKs and the DLL should be in the 'Assets' folder

That did the trick, thanks!
Want to add that need to put it in Assets folder wasn't obvious since originally in archive it is located directly in mod root folder. Better add some explanations for those who will download it later!

Yeah, just posted about this in the main thread... Because, if it had extracted to "part 2/caveman2cosmos/assets" instead of just "part 2/caveman2cosmos", then I would have moved it to where it needed to go originally....

As this is a problem that has persisted for a long time I'm posting this here and moving on to the new version.

While this game has sped up exponentially I've run into a major crippling issue in my last two games(v_21). One that killed the games for me. Spiritual leaders.

Specifically, Saladin in the last one. For more details... I play with 50 Civs on the second largest map type. Raging Barbs, start as minor, and on Eternity speed. Version 21 apparently. Normally I play one game or so at Prince level beat the game in victory and then see if there is a new version after commenting on it. I can't do it this time.

This leads my issue Saladin has made the game reasonably unplayable. Specifically, because he is a spiritual leader and thus has broken the game beyond all measure. That spiritual leader don't accummulate rev point due to anarchy is breaking the game. It doesn't help that Spiritual leaders have an extremely annoying habit of randomly switch civics every few turns.

I was doing well and getting basically all the wonders that weren't religious wonders.. missed cave painting wonder and the suicide pact catacombs for instance... then suddenly an unknown Civ was getting a world wonder every 10-15 turns. On Eternirty... What? that was around turn 12-1300. Then a previously minor Civ on the far side of the contient suddenly donates contact with Saladin to me. That was the begining of the end.

See... Saladin was a monarchy with 45 cities... this is literally impossible for any nonspiritual leader until the modern era. This is with a monarchy. I have 9 cities and the next big Civ is in the mid teens.

Its now turn 1650 or so and the game has been crippled to near unplayable. See Saladin (and his 54 cities of Doom (one other has 30 cities and is appartently smaller in size than I am)) has not only been impossiblely big for around 500 turns... but introduced eveyone left to everyone else left htrough donating contacts. As far as I can tell: He explores for the sole reason of finding more Civs to introduce to the other Civs. Thus clogging the buffer with constant useless diplomacy and 'wars' between countries a hundreds of squares apart on different contients... involving participants with no ocean travel and no way to attack each other at al. All begging for free help in their 'wars', war techs, etc.., and allies in a war that can't be fought with units for hundreds of turns.

It doesn't help that Saladin is utterly invincible militarily... I have .01% of his military power or something and this means he must have literally something like a literal thousand units... dozens or hundreds of which must be wandering around. (Granted part of that his blindingly fast :science: rate meaning he is researching matchlock.) I can barely keep on par with him spywise by dumping everything into it.

Turns are now crippled at 8-10 minutes of mid turn processing, diplomacy loading, and random unexplained stalling out and stuttering. Before this I was at 10 second processing between turns with 1-2 minutes of doing stuff.

To add insult to crippling injury I have green smiling relations with him... and he has sat on all his techs (I don't want to trade this yet) for around 300 turns.:mad:

Also, I think the REV city berserking number needs to drop from 1000 to 750 at this point because far too many Civs are riddled with tiny cities with 800-1700 or more REV levels and nothing is happening.

As this is a problem that has persisted for a long time I'm posting this here and moving on to the new version.

While this game has sped up exponentially I've run into a major crippling issue in my last two games(v_21). One that killed the games for me. Spiritual leaders.

Specifically, Saladin in the last one. For more details... I play with 50 Civs on the second largest map type. Raging Barbs, start as minor, and on Eternity speed. Version 21 apparently. Normally I play one game or so at Prince level beat the game in victory and then see if there is a new version after commenting on it. I can't do it this time.

This leads my issue Saladin has made the game reasonably unplayable. Specifically, because he is a spiritual leader and thus has broken the game beyond all measure. That spiritual leader don't accummulate rev point due to anarchy is breaking the game. It doesn't help that Spiritual leaders have an extremely annoying habit of randomly switch civics every few turns.

I was doing well and getting basically all the wonders that weren't religious wonders.. missed cave painting wonder and the suicide pact catacombs for instance... then suddenly an unknown Civ was getting a world wonder every 10-15 turns. On Eternirty... What? that was around turn 12-1300. Then a previously minor Civ on the far side of the contient suddenly donates contact with Saladin to me. That was the begining of the end.

See... Saladin was a monarchy with 45 cities... this is literally impossible for any nonspiritual leader until the modern era. This is with a monarchy. I have 9 cities and the next big Civ is in the mid teens.

Its now turn 1650 or so and the game has been crippled to near unplayable. See Saladin (and his 54 cities of Doom (one other has 30 cities and is appartently smaller in size than I am)) has not only been impossiblely big for around 500 turns... but introduced eveyone left to everyone else left htrough donating contacts. As far as I can tell: He explores for the sole reason of finding more Civs to introduce to the other Civs. Thus clogging the buffer with constant useless diplomacy and 'wars' between countries a hundreds of squares apart on different contients... involving participants with no ocean travel and no way to attack each other at al. All begging for free help in their 'wars', war techs, etc.., and allies in a war that can't be fought with units for hundreds of turns.

It doesn't help that Saladin is utterly invincible militarily... I have .01% of his military power or something and this means he must have literally something like a literal thousand units... dozens or hundreds of which must be wandering around. (Granted part of that his blindingly fast :science: rate meaning he is researching matchlock.) I can barely keep on par with him spywise by dumping everything into it.

Turns are now crippled at 8-10 minutes of mid turn processing, diplomacy loading, and random unexplained stalling out and stuttering. Before this I was at 10 second processing between turns with 1-2 minutes of doing stuff.

To add insult to crippling injury I have green smiling relations with him... and he has sat on all his techs (I don't want to trade this yet) for around 300 turns.:mad:

Also, I think the REV city berserking number needs to drop from 1000 to 750 at this point because far too many Civs are riddled with tiny cities with 800-1700 or more REV levels and nothing is happening.

Do you have city limits turned off? I can't see how a 45 city monarchy can function even if it had zero REV issues, just because it would have like 60 unhapy per city from blowing its city limits for the civic...?

As far as I know I don't... but if its in the BUG options for some random reason (as opposed to the start up options) it may be possible if its in there from default. Every new version I have to hunt through the BUG options to try and ferret out the counter intuitive and inexplicable default selects that come with the download.

I never did figure out how to end the deeply stupid 'autopass turn' option... which makes the game harder and dumber for no reason... and I posted this in the previous thread twice (I H8T4!!! autopass turn) and was ignored.

As I said I think it was Monarchy due to realative tech levels... but spiritual leader switch random civics every few turns so its hard to tell... also Saladin had something like a thousand units made so he may have been posting insane amounts of troops to smother things. Neither of the two giant nations had any revolts... only the low teen citied Hititte Civ ever did. Again AIs like to spam miserable little 600+ rev ranked cities as completely normal.

There are reasons I'm a proponent of supply line mechanics. One of which is the disturbingly unrealistic levels of farmers to soldiers these guardian Stacks of Doom! encourage.
---
Okay... I installed v23 and found an issue in a few turns. I left my city for a bit to kill some near by cats... moved out one space too far so the game decided it was a good time to explore a bit while the last 5 turns before my stone thrower was done... well I lost the city and my clubman to RNG on the follow up. So got complete killed. Then the game starts acting weird. I decides to focus on a city of a nearby Civ I haven't encountered yet. I think instead of losing it decided I was Ethopian or something and went into a continous waiting for other Civs thing. Nothing was moving around so I wasn't watch an AI game and I eventually managed to load my game... which was an autosave... of a contious load next turn and I could suddenly see Ethiopias Civ (city, units and revealed map). I'm not sure what happened (couldn't access the menu ony uselessly highlight units) and had to Ctrl+Alt+Del the game. I'm not sure what if was trying to do but it failed.

As far as I know I don't... but if its in the BUG options for some random reason (as opposed to the start up options) it may be possible if its in there from default. Every new version I have to hunt through the BUG options to try and ferret out the counter intuitive and inexplicable default selects that come with the download.

I never did figure out how to end the deeply stupid 'autopass turn' option... which makes the game harder and dumber for no reason... and I posted this in the previous thread twice (I H8T4!!! autopass turn) and was ignored.

As I said I think it was Monarchy due to realative tech levels... but spiritual leader switch random civics every few turns so its hard to tell... also Saladin had something like a thousand units made so he may have been posting insane amounts of troops to smother things. Neither of the two giant nations had any revolts... only the low teen citied Hititte Civ ever did. Again AIs like to spam miserable little 600+ rev ranked cities as completely normal.

There are reasons I'm a proponent of supply line mechanics. One of which is the disturbingly unrealistic levels of farmers to soldiers these guardian Stacks of Doom! encourage.
---
Okay... I installed v23 and found an issue in a few turns. I left my city for a bit to kill some near by cats... moved out one space too far so the game decided it was a good time to explore a bit while the last 5 turns before my stone thrower was done... well I lost the city and my clubman to RNG on the follow up. So got complete killed. Then the game starts acting weird. I decides to focus on a city of a nearby Civ I haven't encountered yet. I think instead of losing it decided I was Ethopian or something and went into a continous waiting for other Civs thing. Nothing was moving around so I wasn't watch an AI game and I eventually managed to load my game... which was an autosave... of a contious load next turn and I could suddenly see Ethiopias Civ (city, units and revealed map). I'm not sure what happened (couldn't access the menu ony uselessly highlight units) and had to Ctrl+Alt+Del the game. I'm not sure what if was trying to do but it failed.

That's a ROM feature I think - if you die before a certain number of turns it auto-transfers you to another civ.

Got another issue:
Error in techAcquired event handler <function onTechAcquired at 0x183B4376>
that or 0x183B4370> and I can't read my writing.

I'm more concerned on the endless turn processing (which is also from the error above) than that it switched me.

As someone managed to get the Great person 'gather' by turn 9 I'd say its a specific event issue rather than a blanket one.

Top Bottom