Does this game work on windows 7?

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
Just curious because it's an old game.

Just curious because it's an old game.

Both SMAC and SMAX can run on Windows 7. Most of the time, the games run right out of the box with only minor tweaks (for example, you might have to run as administrator or modify the Alpha Centauri.ini file). Sometimes more work is needed due to a system's specific configuration.

I got SMAC (gog.com distro) running. Only snags I've run into are:
- The user running SMAC must have write permissions to the SMAC-directory
- SMAC runs at 100% CPU; which is unfortunate as I play SMAC on my netbook and this makes it run hot (which is an issue if I'm not at a desk) and drain battery (which is an issue when I'm on my daily commute)

I got SMAC (gog.com distro) running. Only snags I've run into are:
- The user running SMAC must have write permissions to the SMAC-directory
- SMAC runs at 100% CPU; which is unfortunate as I play SMAC on my netbook and this makes it run hot (which is an issue if I'm not at a desk) and drain battery (which is an issue when I'm on my daily commute)

Regarding high CPU use, you might want to look for a CPU throttler. I've never used one, but you can find some discussion in this thread. You also might get some recommendations for specific throttling programs in our Computer Talk forum.

Works great on my computer. Windows 7 64 bit. I have the GOG version. I have the CD as well, but I bought the game again through GOG for $3 (no expansion unfortunately, but that's okay, the game is better without the XP imho). The reason I bought it again is because it's just convenient not to have to fumble around with a CD to play the game (I can't recall if you need the CD to play the original, but I think you do). Now I can start up any time I'm in the mood.

Works great on my computer. Windows 7 64 bit. I have the GOG version. I have the CD as well, but I bought the game again through GOG for $3 (no expansion unfortunately, but that's okay, the game is better without the XP imho). The reason I bought it again is because it's just convenient not to have to fumble around with a CD to play the game (I can't recall if you need the CD to play the original, but I think you do). Now I can start up any time I'm in the mood.

You don't need a CD to play the original game, only Alien Crossfire requires a CD. You're right about Crossfire sucking though - it is so lame I never ever play it.

crossfire isn't the worst, but I just feel it messes up the story and balance of the original.

Top Bottom