Another WW2 scenario

Good point, and thanks for bringing that to my attention. I had them grouped in with Austria when I was making the map I guess. I'll be sure to leave them as neutral city-state in the next version.

I'm attempting to implement scripted diplomatic actions via lua, along with complete a new larger map. I was a complete novice with lua, so it's a bit of a struggle. So, that's why it's taking a long time. It is coming along though. If the lua script works, then the scenario should be greatly improved.

Hey. I really get mad by trying to add unit skins into CIV5. I realized how "Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers" and "Civ5ArtDefines_Units" work together, but can't get them loaded.... :mad:
To learn more how it works, I just made a empty mod and copied each XML and sql from the "Single Units Graphics (v4)" MOD. --> add > Existig Item > xy.xml/sql, same path structur, copied 1:1.
Then edited "Actions" at "Properties" (UpdateDatabase for all files)
At least activated "Reload Unit System" at "Mod Info"
And...... it's ********************************* not working!!! :cry::spank::hammer2::wallbash::dunno:
U see, I'm frustrated. Adding units with unique ArtDefines on CIV4 was no problem to me, but at CIV5 I tried maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany times.
Be sure I searched for help, but Kael's guide doesn't give answers and nowhere else.
Can you help me, so I can get started???
What else to do on Mod Buddy?

Well I get what you're saying about cities, but even smaller cities still last against heavy attacks, if you could make cities strength population based that would be cool. But I'm not sure if you are able to do that in worldbuilder, and LUA is hard to use.

A few suggestions though: Let infantry be able to build forts. I'd say in 2-3 turns, this is better because infantry should be able to dig in to a position and hold it.

More of a glitch then a suggestion, although could be a vanilla glitch, when you have 2 units in one of your cities, you cannot attack from that city it just will not let you. Has something to do with your 2 unit per tile that doesnt quite work with cities.

And if you go with Infantry building forts, forts should not remove the previous tile improvement. So you could say, build a fort on a farm without removing the farm.

Well I get what you're saying about cities, but even smaller cities still last against heavy attacks, if you could make cities strength population based that would be cool. But I'm not sure if you are able to do that in worldbuilder, and LUA is hard to use.

A few suggestions though: Let infantry be able to build forts. I'd say in 2-3 turns, this is better because infantry should be able to dig in to a position and hold it.

More of a glitch then a suggestion, although could be a vanilla glitch, when you have 2 units in one of your cities, you cannot attack from that city it just will not let you. Has something to do with your 2 unit per tile that doesnt quite work with cities.

And if you go with Infantry building forts, forts should not remove the previous tile improvement. So you could say, build a fort on a farm without removing the farm.

I ended up having to cut the number of cities by a significant number in order to even get that new map to work. The nice thing about that in retrospect is that there is more space now, and the problem you mentioned about simply having too many cities to capture is somewhat remedied.

Not a bad idea with the infantry, but atm I have my hands full trying to get the lua scripts for diplomacy to work. Implementing fort building for infantry sounds like it might be pretty complex too.

Yep, your observation about attacking from cities is indeed a vanilla bug, or at least a byproduct of allowing multiple units/tile. I just try to play around it, since its not really a game breaker. I haven't the slightest how something like that could be fixed.

Hey. I really get mad by trying to add unit skins into CIV5. I realized how "Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers" and "Civ5ArtDefines_Units" work together, but can't get them loaded.... :mad:
To learn more how it works, I just made a empty mod and copied each XML and sql from the "Single Units Graphics (v4)" MOD. --> add > Existig Item > xy.xml/sql, same path structur, copied 1:1.
Then edited "Actions" at "Properties" (UpdateDatabase for all files)
At least activated "Reload Unit System" at "Mod Info"
And...... it's ********************************* not working!!! :cry::spank::hammer2::wallbash::dunno:
U see, I'm frustrated. Adding units with unique ArtDefines on CIV4 was no problem to me, but at CIV5 I tried maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany times.
Be sure I searched for help, but Kael's guide doesn't give answers and nowhere else.
Can you help me, so I can get started???
What else to do on Mod Buddy?

You might be forgetting to check "import into VHF" or Vxx (not sure what it's called). It's located off to the right hand part of the screen in modbuddy. All of the art files, including the artdefine xml files need to have that checked in order for the game to use them.

I ended up having to cut the number of cities by a significant number in order to even get that new map to work. The nice thing about that in retrospect is that there is more space now, and the problem you mentioned about simply having too many cities to capture is somewhat remedied.

Not a bad idea with the infantry, but atm I have my hands full trying to get the lua scripts for diplomacy to work. Implementing fort building for infantry sounds like it might be pretty complex too.

Yep, your observation about attacking from cities is indeed a vanilla bug, or at least a byproduct of allowing multiple units/tile. I just try to play around it, since its not really a game breaker. I haven't the slightest how something like that could be fixed.

As for the toughness of it, this guy managed to do it: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?106852-Kruelgor-s-Roman-Empire

He created a unit, and gave it that ability. And I am pretty sure he is only using worldbuilder, so there should be a simple command to do it.

The artdefines should be included in your update DB actions, as well as have import into VFS. All other art related files (.dds, etc) you want to include in a mod do not need to be added under actions, and only need to be imported into VFS. I found out recently some LUA files need to be imported into VFS too.

I'm not real clear on what exactly VFS is to be honest. I just know it's something that has to be used in order for certain aspects of a civ 5 mod to work correctly ;). Virtual file system is my guess for what VFS stands for.

The artdefines should be included in your update DB actions, as well as have import into VFS. All other art related files (.dds, etc) you want to include in a mod do not need to be added under actions, and only need to be imported into VFS. I found out recently some LUA files need to be imported into VFS too.

I'm not real clear on what exactly VFS is to be honest. I just know it's something that has to be used in order for certain aspects of a civ 5 mod to work correctly ;). Virtual file system is my guess for what VFS stands for.
Thanks!

To update on where things are with this mod, the new version that uses the giant map is completed and is stable. A lot of old errors have been corrected, diplomacy has been scripted, and some new art was added as well (finally fixed franco's icon). Overall it plays much better than the old version imo.

I just need to do one last test run to verify a few last minute additions work as intended, and then I will upload it. Can't get to it today unfortunately (which is why I'm posting this), but it will definitely be available tomorrow.

If diplomacy is scripted, will you be increasing the size of Russia's army and Air Force?

Anywho, cannot wait to play the new version!

The Soviet army and airforce are actually about the same size as before. I think it should work well though, because the only fighting they do for the first quarter of the game is against city-states. The AI basically has all that time to build up its army, plus compile a giant pile of gold to use for purchasing units later on.

Honestly, I did not get a chance to play far enough into a game as Germany to properly test out how a war goes against them. The one time I played past that point in the game during a test was as the USA. The German AI had botched the French invasion by that point, and was totally unprepared for declaring war on USSR.

I made some adjustments since then, so hopefully the German AI does a lot better during the early game now.

Alright that's cool, and yeah that whole building up thing makes sense.

So when do you figure it will be up?

I have been playing your mod in Strategic View, and I have noticed that alot of unit icons don't appear on the map in this mode.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with your mod or with Civ 5 in general.

It's a problem with civ 5 in general. I included strategic view icons for every unit I added, but it turned out to be a big waste of time. The hard limit on SV unit icons is 128. So, every one that I added that came after number 128 (that includes the vanilla units too) is not recognized by the game.

It makes placing the units on the map in worldbuilder quite frustrating btw. I can certainly see why Gedemon uses Lua to preplace all his units for the R.E.D. mod.

On another note, I am wondering if anyone is having the game crash on them while playing it. I tried to play a game as Germany myself, and have hit a consistent crash (windows prompt: Civ 5 has stopper working) at the start of turn 15. I haven't been able to figure out why it's occurring, but I'm thinking it might be a problem with loading a saved game conflicting with the lua script. Not really sure though, so it will help to know if others are experiencing the same thing or not.

I read earlier that the diplomacy is scripted until turn 80.
Does this mean that after turn 80 you can declare war on whoever you want to?
In earlier versions of your mod there was an Open mode scenario where anyone could declare war on whoever thry wanted to.
I'm a fan of "What If" history.

That's actually something I wanted to include. It didn't occur to me to allow allied vs allied or axis vs axis war at that point until I had already finished building the mod files though. By then I was already tired of adding "just 1 more thing" to the mod, and decided to forego it. It would have meant having to run yet another test to verify I didn't break anything by making the change too.

Anyways, the answer is no. You can only make a DoW that follows traditional Allies vs Axis rules. Which in hindsight is kind of pointless I might add, since by turn 80 pretty much everyone is already at war as per the script. I did add a couple items to the script that are not historically accurate. Mainly they were included in the spirit of the Axis having not been guaranteed eventual defeat from the world's perspective by the time 1943/44 rolls around. Next time I get around to working on this again, I'll definitely remove the restriction.

I take it you have not run into the crash I mentioned earlier then?

No I haven't actually been playing your WWII recently, I have been playing your Greco-Persian scenario lately instead.
You do alot of good work with your mods.

Top Bottom