Research agreements and Declaration of Friendship

Bellrock

Chieftain
In God and Kings, you can’t get research agreements without a declaration of friendship. The question is, how do I get the AI to accept a declaration of friendship so that I may get a research agreement? My current game settings are emperor difficulty, small continents, small map, with approx. 5 random leaders. I’m constantly making trading deals with AI players, and some of them do show as being friendly towards me in the diplomatic screen. In the last game, around turn 200 in the game, none of them had any friendships, denouncements, or at war with each other. So nothing here I can do to increase their favor with me. However, they all reject any friendship agreements, and you have to wait at least 10-20 turns before you can try again.

What other things can I do to increase the AI favor towards me, so that they might accept a friendship agreement?

Thanks

Usually I wait until they offer, but it helps if...

1. You don't share borders.
2. You're not "ahead". All civs hate "big man on campus".
3. You have a defensive army, somewhere in the middle of demographics.
4. Don't DoW or "steal" city states with coup from people you friendship.
5. Share intrigue.
6. Watch global politics every couple turns so you don't get a bunch of "friended an enemy".
7. Don't break deals.
8. Optimally keep your friendships to 1 or 2, and then later "friends of friends".
9. If you friend denounces or is DoW'd upon, you denounce.
10. If you friend asks you to war, always say 10 turns and always wait 10 turns.
11. Once in shared DoW, do some damage, even if it's just diversion and pillaging.

I don't think much else matters. Do all this and you should have DoFs with 3 or 4 pretty solidly by industrial.

Have you made sure to share embassies? The AI won't declare friendship without that.

Also, I've found that the AI often uses an offer of open borders to feel out a DoF. If Open Borders is accepted, a DoF is almost certainly on its way.

I dunno about open borders. If you know the civ isn't keen on you for some reason, they're just scouting an angle. That's where the really bad backstabs happen.

I would try to get another positive modifier, like denouncing an enemy of theirs.
Sharing your religion (if they don't have one)
Returning a barb captured worker/settler.
Give them a trade deal thats better than what the system auto generates.

Wish I had a list of "good" diplomacy modifiers, I'm prolly forgetting some good ones.

open boarders
trading lux helps increase diplomatic relations. anny kind of trade i guess
denounce ppl they have denounced
basicly let them see ur not a sociopath like montyzuma

Trade modifier is only positive if the trade is to their advantage. Give them open borders with nothing in return and it helps a little; give them a lux or 5 horses/iron and it helps a lot.

Usually I wait until they offer, but it helps if...

1. You don't share borders.
2. You're not "ahead". All civs hate "big man on campus".
3. You have a defensive army, somewhere in the middle of demographics.
4. Don't DoW or "steal" city states with coup from people you friendship.
5. Share intrigue.
6. Watch global politics every couple turns so you don't get a bunch of "friended an enemy".
7. Don't break deals.
8. Optimally keep your friendships to 1 or 2, and then later "friends of friends".
9. If you friend denounces or is DoW'd upon, you denounce.
10. If you friend asks you to war, always say 10 turns and always wait 10 turns.
11. Once in shared DoW, do some damage, even if it's just diversion and pillaging.

I don't think much else matters. Do all this and you should have DoFs with 3 or 4 pretty solidly by industrial.

thanks to all for the above for the replies.

I did not share borders with these AI in question, sold them lux though out the game, had an embassies established, spread my religion to them, etc. They did not have any DOW, or DOF among themselves, so there was no angle for me to take here. I was at the time ranked number two or three by score. I dont' know what you mean by 'Share intrigue', but otherwise I'm aware of what you are saying here and do make use of these concepts.

The one thing I have not tried was outright giving them lux, or gold. The problem is I don't know how much, or how often I would need to give for this to work. I need some ballpark idea of what I have to give, and how often. Like one Lux as a one time gift, or like 5 gold every turn for 10 turns will do the trick? Once you make a DoF request, if it gets denied you don't get the option to ask again for many turns. So I'm finding it rather difficult to experiment here in game.

Can you give me some ideas of what you have to give to get a successful DoF request?

Thanks,
Bellrock

Top Bottom